Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
And how exactly is having a new member for about ten days, the duration of the 2016 International— only to have that new membership expire expire as soon as rideair takes back his trailer— going to help build membership?
Gee I don't know - maybe giving someone access to the "good of a group" and you may actually see more people join and the group grow..... Oh sorry we cannot have that happen we actually might move the group forward.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Maybe we'll build membership based on time-share of an Airstream, so one trailer can have 25 part-time owners who are all members… Yeah, that will be the day.
Your day has come....

With the price of the new trailers being what they are, we might very well be there already! Does a joint ownership arrangement somehow make those people less worthy of membership? Is your attitude so elitist that joint ownership is not acceptable. Then my guess is you will get what you wish for....

What will be next - financed units will not be allowed either? Technically a financed unit is not actually owned by the member. (think loss payable)
I guess those people should not be members either?........

At the end of the day its all about the attitude....
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
rideair:

Before you appear at the 2016 International in West Virginia, you will have to buy a case of these to distribute among your family members, friends and guests so none of you will be recognized as Blue Book Rules Violators:
That is to funny.......... Well done!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Does a joint ownership arrangement somehow make those people less worthy of membership?
The rules already allow joint ownership by two people who aren't related by blood or marriage, but no more than two unrelated people per Airstream. There are some folks in my unit who are joint owners. I don't have a problem with that. If anyone wants to allow fractional ownership smaller than 50% to qualify for membership, there is a parliamentary procedure to allow the motion to be brought before the membership for a vote. Until then, 50% ownership is the smallest fraction.

I do have an "elistist" attitude in one respect; the club is made up of Airstream owners, and if we allow non-owners to join, it degrades the value of being an owner and a member of WBCCI. Remember a few years ago, some life members wanted to trade their Airstreams for Thor Class A motorhomes and stay in the club? That motion was defeated— more than once— in favor of only allowing Airstream owners to be WBCCI members. I'd like to see it stay defeated and not entertain yet another way of allowing non-owners into the club.

My objection to rideair's scheme is that he is trying to come up with a means of getting this "Tater" fellow into the 2016 International through the scheme of a temporary membership by playing fast and loose with the club rules. Especially when it's not necessary.

I've already indicated that it's possible to attend the International as a guest, without being a member of WBCCI. I'm sure Rideair could loan Tater one of his trailers and let him attend as Rideair's guest, without the fiction of "selling" him the trailer for a dollar and having him join the club for two weeks, only to have it all go away when rideair takes the trailer back.

I'm not sure exactly how rideair would go about getting Tater registered as a guest; I just know a friend of mine did it for the 2015 International, and his guest was a non-owner and non-member.

I've said all I'm going to say on the matter. Rideair, if you want to have the last word, now's the time.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
at past rallies I have encountered the badge police, the flag police the number display police and the water drip police. So far the proper title and ownership police have not been seen.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
at past rallies I have encountered the badge police, the flag police the number display police and the water drip police. So far the proper title and ownership police have not been seen.
Unfortunately the badge policewoman is in my unit, and I have to pony up a dollar every time I attend any WBCCI function without my badge. On multi-day functions such as rallies that's a dollar every day, not just once per rally. It's very annoying, but the money collected goes to our "Cents for Kids" charity, so I endure.

I don't intend to become the "title and ownership" police. The nice ladies at Jackson Center should take care of that before they issue a membership badge and trailer number. Anyone who shows up at the International and is properly registered— as a member or a guest— will get no grief from me.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

In line at the DMV

Protagonist,

Tater and I are currently in line at the DMV to make sure everything is correct (can you guess which ones we are?). Based on the current line, it might take until July to get the correct paperwork in place in order to meet your demands. In the event that we can not get it done in time, we will take your advice and not use names (not that Tater is his real name) when filling out the paperwork for his membership. He could maybe use the name John Doe, John Deere or John "who the crap" Cares.

He has been talking about buying an Airstream trailer (he has even looked at a few) but cannot afford to purchase even a $2,000.00 piece of junk to fix up. I was just trying to help out a friend, show him a good time and let him see the fun that can be had and let the club stick another $500.00 in their pocket to boot!

He will find a trailer someday. At that time, he'll ask about signing up to the WBCCI, I'll be sure to show him your input to read before doing so. My guess, he unlike myself will say "Screw That".

I will say this, every now and again I run across someone in this club that makes me ask "Why do I stay a member?". I want to thank you for being that person this year.

Enjoy,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DMVline.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	242906  
Old 07-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I suspect Dawn and I will need many dollars if flag, numbers, badge, and rules police are out in force! I think I'll just carry rolls of pennies!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Maybe I'll start a committee that anyone that fines me while wearing a beret owes me $5 to be donated to the "step in the new millennium" fund.

www.campnova.com

Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #29

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
I will say this, every now and again I run across someone in this club that makes me ask "Why do I stay a member?". I want to thank you for being that person this year.
Having taken some time to reflect on my part in this debacle, I've decided I'm not entirely thrilled with my performance. Honestly, why should I even care what rideair does? Beginning right now, I'm giving myself a one-week suspension from the AirForums. See you in a week!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Protagonist - you are always a very helpful member of the forums. So maybe you were a tad overzealous thinking about the rules of the club. It just says you find the value of the club is worth protecting. Not the worst thing we've seen here!

I look forward to your continued contributions to AirForums.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So if you sneak in a nonmember or two or three or whatever and the 500 spaces are filled, you've just shut out dues paying members from attending. Think bigger, not just about yourself. Rules are rules. And are not meant to be broken.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
The WBCCI wants people to attend the Rally, and they want people to have a great time. The club is all about the people and not the rules or regulations.

And just for FYI the VIN/SN requirement on the join forms has been removed, so no need to provide a VIN anymore.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
So if you sneak in a nonmember or two or three or whatever and the 500 spaces are filled, you've just shut out dues paying members from attending. Think bigger, not just about yourself. Rules are rules. And are not meant to be broken.
You would not be sneaking in a non member as he would have payed his dues and the rally fee, only the actual ownership of the trailer used would have been questionable.
Perhaps rules are not meant to be broken, but anyone who has read the blue book will see a lot that should be eliminated.
At the rally presentation I got the impression that the Site in WV would be adding campsites and would go all out to see that people at least got their electric and water and pump outs would be provided by the site operators if in fact there is a site shortage.

Since I won't be going "Tater" is welcome to the spot I would have occupied.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
just because a rule should be eliminated doesn't mean it should be ignored until it is changed. Rules are rules. Change them properly if you disagree. Same goes for laws. Anarchy is the result otherwise.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #35
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I usually would never jump in a thread like this, because the "fun potential" is so low, but....

I imagine if you look into it, arguments such as these are the reason fewer people are joining WBCCI, while there are more people buying Airstreams than ever. It's so easy to go to a forum rally, such as Canopener (woot woot) and REALLY enjoy the crap out of it, and not deal with all this hassle... Just my opinion, but I'm betting I'm right.

-Red, backing slowly out of the thread, not looking anyone in the eye...
Old 07-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
So what are the major attractions around Lewisburgh that shouldn't be missed?

www.campnova.com

Old 07-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
So what are the major attractions around Lewisburgh that shouldn't be missed?
While I won't be at the rally I do spend a lot of time in WV. Some things that you may find interesting.
Green Bank Radio Observatory. Large Radio dishes coordinated with sites in New Mexico and I think one other

Cass Scenic Railroad.. Narrow gauge railroad with 2 trips lengths

The New River Bridge. That is the longest ,or maybe highest single arch bridge.
Every October one lane is closed for bridge day for base jumpers and other crazy people. I rappelled it one bridge day long ago. Aprox 875 ft to the river.

There is rafting on the New and Gauley rivers, at least in the fall when they lower lake levels and I suspect probably during the summer also.

Summerville Dam. The below Dam area is pretty exciting when water is being released and the kayakers are there.
There are also lots of caving and hiking opportunities

Thats just what comes to mind off the top. A little research will find much more.

added: If you want to travel a little further from the rally Seneca Rocks where they trained the mountain troops for ww II and Spruce knob, the highest point in WV are near each other and could be done on a day trip (on RT 33 near Elkins)
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Here is an article from the CNN website today about Greenbank Radio Observatory mentioned in my previous post
America's quietest town: Where cell phones are banned
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Hey Paul
we had two trailers with the same number parked at this years international in vintage, and seemed not to be a problem. It was a member of this forum is whom I am referring to.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Did cause some confusion for the parking crew and the sanitation crew, as I recall.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote