Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
2015 Mid-Winter IBT

Just FYI, the agenda for the upcoming Mid-Winter IBT meeting has been posted to the WBCCI website. Several interesting motions on the agenda. Details on the live audio streaming should be posted soon.

http://wbcci.org/general-information.../finish/42/651

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
THank you for the link, Damon!

Lynn
Old 12-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Damon,

Thank you for posting this information.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
Has anyone had communication with Andy Selking, Region 9 president and host region for the IBT meeting regarding a fee to JUST attend the IBT meeting and not the rally at the fairground when the meeting is being held? I had planned to attend the meeting(s) over 4 days as I am spending the winter nearby but don't want to move my trailer to the rally site. Andy quoted me a fee of $60 to attend 4 meetings only. I protested to Joe Perryman who said he couldn't change the answer I got from Selking. I do plan to attend the Friday official meeting only and I don't plan to pay anyone for just attending the meeting.
jwgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I have always been told that attending all business meetings of WBCCI is open to all members without charge.

Is there someone who is familiar with the Constitution and ByLaws to see if this provision is in those documents or just normal procedure?

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgreen View Post
Has anyone had communication with Andy Selking, Region 9 president and host region for the IBT meeting regarding a fee to JUST attend the IBT meeting and not the rally at the fairground when the meeting is being held? I had planned to attend the meeting(s) over 4 days as I am spending the winter nearby but don't want to move my trailer to the rally site. Andy quoted me a fee of $60 to attend 4 meetings only. I protested to Joe Perryman who said he couldn't change the answer I got from Selking. I do plan to attend the Friday official meeting only and I don't plan to pay anyone for just attending the meeting.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
Bill,
I have thoroughly reviewed the Constitution and the ByLaws and the language is ambiguous regarding membership participation at IBT meetings. There is no mention of fees to be paid or a prohibition about fees for member attendance. It is mostly about administration of the meeting and the protocol regarding motions, voting, etc. The Region 9 president stated "It is a meeting within a rally, not a rally within a meeting" as his rationale for charging a meeting fee for those not participating in the rally. There are other activities Tuesday through Thursday that precede the actual meeting on Friday that I could attend but have elected to avoid due to not wanting to make a problem. I have a committee report that I want to read personally at the Friday meeting and that's my main reason for attending. A subsequent email I sent to the Region 9 president Selking on 12/18 has not been acknowledged or answered. I'm aware that Region 9 is responsible for the expenses incurred for the IBT meeting. Their income is derived from the rally at the Borchard Fairgrounds, the site of the rally and meeting. If the rally & meeting expenses exceed their income, they are reimbursed by International. It's a big stretch to say that just attending the meeting results in unreimbursed expense. I hadn't planned on eating at the meeting or any other activity for which there could be a "real" cost.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Absent a point of order from the constitution and bylaws, I don't think any of us is in a position to second-guess the rally/meeting organziners.

But if you want to submit a motion to have the constitution and/or bylaws changed to make the answer more definitive (all fees are specifically for the rally around the meeting, no cost to attend the IBT meetings themselves other than the annual or lifetime membership fee you've already paid) then I'm sure there will be someone to second the motion, probably from among the people who are flying in to attend and don't want to spend more on top of their airfare and hotel rooms. Then it will at least end up in the pipeline to be voted on later.

Wouldn't help in your case for this particular Mid-Winter IBT, but it would help to resolve the issue for the future.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks Protagonist for your comments. Perhaps you were involved previously with previous IBT meetings in Rayne, LA. I have no motions to submit from the floor, there are already enough motions that will be considered listed on the meeting agenda. I am a committee chair and my required report has been submitted and is also part of the agenda. As is my option, when I'm present, I can read my report verbally to the IBT and the IBT will, usually, accept it as read and/or printed and it becomes part of the record of the meeting. It's a formality about the committee report, however, there will be lively discussion about the motions being considered and I would like to be present to observe board dialogue and action.
WBCCI #4432 & ARC member W9CJX
Old 01-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
I advised the Region 9 president I wanted to attend meetings only on Wednesday and Friday and he reduced my fee to $35. I protested again based upon my perception that a WBCCI member in good standing should be able to attend an IBT meeting without charge and a matter of principle. He then responded that he would pay the $35 FOR ME and invited me to attend both meetings. I declined his offer to pay my fee and I will still go as planned, expecting to pay $35, and I will also expect the treasurer to provide me with a receipt.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Just FYI, and updated agenda has been posted on wbcci.org, dated Jan 6th, 2015.

http://wbcci.org/general-information.../finish/42/651

Damon
Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I had often thought of attending the meeting but have never done it. I had always assumed also that there would be no charge for the meeting itself. It should be open to all interested members at no charge. I am sure the fairgrounds or whatever is not charging for day visitord or for the building based on a head count.
If attending the rally, eating meals etc of course I would expect to pay.

I would be interested to know if anyone was ever charged a "meeting admission" fee in the past?
Possibly this is something that needs to be addressed in the future and a policy established.
Frankly it sounds like something being invented on the spot
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have never been to a winter IBT meeting, and will not go to this one either. IMHO, it is decisions like this one by the WBCCI, or whoever was personally responsible, that are hurting the clubs efforts at recruiting new members.

I agree with others that if you are a WBCCI member in good standing, you should be able to attend and participate in any club business meeting without having to pay a fee, and I am a past unit President, but that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee most anywhere. I know we have people attend our unit business meeting, and installations, without charge. It costs us nothing, and promotes more member participation, which is a good thing.

Decisions like this one is what make people feel like the WBCCI exists not for the members, but only for the club hierarchy.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't think it is unusual for nonprofits to charge a fee to attend a membership meeting including the annual meeting. It is done to raise money, something most nonprofits need to do. I used to be a member of a regional nonprofit and there was a minimal fee to attend the annual meeting to cover expenses. I don't recall anyone challenging it. It was 10 or 12 bucks; it may have been cheaper for students. $60 for 4 meetings seems excessive though.

I haven't researched it, but I think a member legally would be able to attend any membership meeting without paying because they have a right to vote. The winter meeting may not be a "membership" meeting, but that would be determined by the organization's organic documents and state law. If members can attend an IBT meeting and not vote, but can make motions, I'm unsure where that would lead. You could argue that if a member can make a motion, that is akin to voting and you cannot be denied those rights by being asked to pay for them.

As a matter of member relations, it sounds like a bad idea. The WBCCI has had years of conflict and if it is to repair relationships, charging people to simply attend a member or IBT meeting may cause more bad feelings than the money is worth.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Actually, WBCCI members are only allowed to vote thru their unit, or club's delegate. The Delegate is supposed to canvas the unit members, get a total of members for and against each motion, then at the meeting the delegate votes his or her unit's number of votes. However, ever since I have been in the club, our unit has sent a delegate to the International rally (the only place the delegates are allowed to vote) with authorization to "vote their conscience". There is no other way for a single member (person or couple) to vote in the WBCCI, and that is also one of the things that a lot of people don't like.

A single member can only vote in unit business.

I do not believe there is delegate voting at the winter IBT, and have heard several old timers in the club say they actually need to do away with the meeting, because it is unnecessary, and amounts only to a paid winter vacation/rally for the club hierarchy.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
No Delegate voting at the winter IBT, usually that is just at the Interational Rally, Delegates vote on Constitutional changes. The Bylaws and Policies are updated and changed by the IBT. If you notice the motions for this up coming IBT are all Bylaw related, as that is all they can vote on or change.

The IBT is made up of your Region President, if you want him to vote a certain way on the motions you should contact them and make you wishes known. They don't have to vote that way, but they do like the feedback from the Region members.

Damon
Old 01-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
FYI, on upcoming Live Streaming of the IBT Meeting.

The Wally Byam Caravan Club International is providing its members with an opportunity to listen live (by streaming audio) to the Board of Trustees Seminar and Meeting.

The Seminar will be broadcast beginning at 9:00 a.m. CST, Wednesday, January 21, 2015. The session usually breaks for lunch from 12 noon to 1 p.m.

The IBT Executive Board will meet on Friday, January 23, 2015, beginning at 9:00 a.m. CST to be followed immediately by the International Board of Trustees meeting. There will be a break for lunch from approximately 12 noon to 1 p.m.

Audio for the meetings will be streamed live. A Windows Streaming Server is being used.
Anyone who wants to listen to the meetings can use Windows Media Player or VLC on a Mac.

The audio URL is http://WBCCI.primcast.com/WBCCI

The audio will begin approximately 10 minutes before the meeting begins. The microphone will be closed during recess and music will be played during this period.

An archive of each of the meetings will be made and posted on the WBCCI Web Site as soon as possible after each of the meetings.

Please note the timezone of the meeting, all times stated are for CST, the timezone for Robstown, TX.

Damon
Old 01-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
I feel it is necessary to close this thread about the IBT meeting and the decision to charge non-rally participants a meeting fee. I attended the Wednesday, 1/21, meeting and paid $35 to attend 2 meetings. Region 9 treasurer David Thompson provided me with a receipt. The Wednesday meeting is the IBT seminar where all of the motions to be formally voted on Friday are discussed and any verbiage issues get resolved. Reports of standing committees are read and there was discussion on some. The seminar was concluded at 2:30 PM. I do not plan to attend the Friday formal IBT meeting and I will not request a refund. I was assured by 2 members of the board that the issue of charging fees to attend the meetings only was addressed in an executive session so there is hope that practical ideas will prevail over those only concerned with adding to the host region's treasury.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgreen View Post
I feel it is necessary to close this thread about the IBT meeting and the decision to charge non-rally participants a meeting fee.
The thread isn't about charging non-rally participants a meeting fee. The thread was set up by damonbeals to facilitate live streaming of the IBT seminar and meeting, and was hijacked to discuss charging non-participants a meeting fee. The thread should remain open until after the IBT meeting is over.

But I certainly agree that further discussion of meeting fees on this thread would be counter-productive.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I agree, leave the thread open. Many if us are interested in this meeting. Too bad hijackers dismember good threads sometimes. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
IBT meeting is streaming live now. I will try to post some of the details. From the Seminar on Wednesday, Motions #5 and #6 where withdrawn all of the rest are moving forward to today meeting.

Damon