Old 08-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Lauri,

Rather than wait for a caravan to learn about your Airstream, contact a local unit and attend one of their rallies. You will find many knowledgeable members who will be glad to share information. Regarding the International Rally, come by the VAC (Vintage Airstream Club) tent and enjoy the people and the daily happy hour. You can even join the VAC, you don't need a vintage Airstream only 1) an Airstream, 2) want to have a good time and 3) $20.

Please drop by and say hi.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
As a new member I can tell you why I am debating whether to continue with my membership. I joined because I wanted to be able to join a caravan with experienced Airstream owners. Since this is the first year I have owned any RV I thought traveling with experienced RVers would be safer and more fun than going alone. However the caravans are all booked up, some years in advance. I am on 4 standby lists for 2018 caravan season, I bought my Airstream in December of 2017. I might be able to join a caravan in 2019. For me, that took all the excitement away. By the time 2019 rolls around I am pretty sure I will have figured most of this stuff out. Two years to wait for adventure and fun seem like a long way off.
In my case, I have learned much more from the forum, which is free than I have from the club.
I have signed up for the international rally in Salem , OR which will be my first rally and now I am a little concerned that it will end up being all political and stuff so instead of being really excited I am rather hesitant to even go.
The view I have expressed are my alone from my personal experience so far.

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
As a new member I can tell you why I am debating whether to continue with my membership. I joined because I wanted to be able to join a caravan with experienced Airstream owners. Since this is the first year I have owned any RV I thought traveling with experienced RVers would be safer and more fun than going alone. However the caravans are all booked up, some years in advance. I am on 4 standby lists for 2018 caravan season, I bought my Airstream in December of 2017. I might be able to join a caravan in 2019. For me, that took all the excitement away. By the time 2019 rolls around I am pretty sure I will have figured most of this stuff out. Two years to wait for adventure and fun seem like a long way off.
In my case, I have learned much more from the forum, which is free than I have from the club.
I have signed up for the international rally in Salem , OR which will be my first rally and now I am a little concerned that it will end up being all political and stuff so instead of being really excited I am rather hesitant to even go.
The view I have expressed are my alone from my personal experience so far.
I agree with wkerfoot … don't wait for a caravan to get involved. In my opinion, it's all about the Unit. That's where you are going to get lots of information, support and fun. And that's where you can best developed friendships. Rallies are the heartbeat of our unit. What we do beyond the unit is icing on the cake and you can do as much or as little as you want. We love our unit (4CU) and we are always excited to arrive at the next rally and reunite with our Airstream friends. Who knows… perhaps you can put a unit caravan together. We held a two-legged rally where we met at a state park for a few nights then caravaned to another park for a couple more nights together … a mini-caravan, if you will, to give folks a taste of what it might be like to make a larger/longer caravan.

Good luck and if you are ever in the SW check to see what the 4CU is up to and join us for a great time!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #59
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Lauri,

I would check out the Airstream Clubs around Titusville, both the Florida Airstream Club and the Treasure Coast Club for a rally to go to. Being a member of the Airstream club lets you join any club event of any unit if they have room. I checked the website of both units and the Florida Airstream Club has a rally Sept. 18 in Crystal River, Fl and the Treasure Coast Club has a rally Nov 2-5 in St. Augustine, Fl. I know members in both clubs and they will answer all your questions and you'll have a great time. Check out the Floridaunit027.wbcci.net and ftcu.wbcci.net websites.

I also know you'll have a great time in Salem. They have a lot of seminars planned along with some great tours. A very small percentage of members are involved in the meetings at International and like Pro said, the club has to have the 2 meetings to keep the State of Ohio happy but the general membership just enjoys meeting members from all over the US, Canada and maybe this year some of our Europe members.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:25 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Thank you all for the advice. I will be looking into a local Unit and I assume I can be a member of more than one unit by paying unit dues. This does sound more like what I had hoped to find. I did some recent poking around on the internet and found a caravan group of single ladies, (widowed, like me, or divorced or just never got around to that ) in the Orlando area that go on caravans several times a year, of course they were not all Airstream's but that might be something to try as well.
Thanks again for the advice.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Hi Lauri,

I echo what Blue Peral and TBRich said above. I live in Viera and am a member of the WBCCI Florida Airstream Club. We have lots of rallies around the area and State of Florida. Or next is at Crystal River in September. You can find all the information on our website.

We have four members from Titusville, and one of them is planning a rally there next year. As an organized club, we do have to conduct some business, but that is a small part of the International Rally in Oregon (and an even smaller part of the Region and local club rallies). The biggest part is the seminars, vendors, and just getting to know your fellow club members from all over the country. Plus, you have the opportunity to travel and see this great country on the way to Oregon.

I share your disappointment on caravans. We are trying to get more caravan leaders, so there are more options for members. It took me four years to get on the Alaska caravan, but it was well worth the wait.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #62
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Personally, I may never end up going on a caravan. I can't plan my life around "Two years from now I might be able to go if enough people ahead of me cancel." But that's okay. I'm not really a "follow the leader" type anyway, and I didn't join WBCCI for the caravans.

I joined WBCCI because when I bought my Airstream, I didn't know anyone who was interested in the RVing lifestyle. The only guy I knew who owned an RV had a 5th wheel that was permanently parked at his fishing camp. WBCCI introduced me to people in my area and all across the country who shared my interest in Airstreams and RV camping.

And the membersó mostly WBCCI old-timersó who tell me "It's all about the caravans," well, I just ignore them and go about my merry way, sometimes solo camping, sometimes attending rallies, but always enjoying myself and my Airstream.

On my next trip, next month, I'm attending a WBCCI rally, solo camping, attending an AirForums rally, and solo camping again, all before I get back home. Who needs caravans?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:08 PM   #63
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
The Canadian Rocky Mountain caravan has just been announced and they have several openings!!! Go to the caravan website "wbccicaravans.wbcci.net". Go to 2018 caravans and contact Deane and Judy Collinson. They will be glad to sign you up and you can go in 2018. Do not delay as this caravan will fill rapidly!