Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #113
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Judy -
Thanks for listening here and even more for your quick response and re-evaluation of a potentially contentious motion! My respect for you continues to grow.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
With all due repect. The most Toxic thing about WBCCI is what a few people on Airforums have drilled into all of us. I have been involved with other clubs over the years, car clubs, motorcycle, etc. Never have I seen a group of a few people such as on this site, go out of their way to denegrate a club that some of them are not even members of. Yes, the folks at the intenational level need to reform. But the local level is alive and friendly. Join a local unit. If you like the people great. That is where real change will come from. Us at the local level. Our voice is growing louder, we need more voices. Regards, George
This is right on target. I usually stay out of the WBCCI sub-forum here for exactly that reason.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Judy, as a unit president I have received nothing regarding this motion. When is the material submittted for consideration?

Mike Gross
CCC
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Judy,

Thank you for withdrawing this motion. A better way to raise revenue will be to add members rather than to tax those who participate. Some units are growing, others are not. Find out what makes the successful units...successful!

- Proud WB Member
- Central Coast California unit
Follow us on Facebook and our website:
www.GreaterLosAngelesAirstreamUnit.wbcci.net
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Thumbs up You convinced us to join

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal View Post
Judy,

Thank you for withdrawing this motion. A better way to raise revenue will be to add members rather than to tax those who participate. Some units are growing, others are not. Find out what makes the successful units...successful!

- Proud WB Member
- Central Coast California unit
Lynda,

Just have the other Units do what CCC did for us over the New Year weekend. That got us to join after owning our AS for almost two years. I, like some others, thought the WBCCI was to stiff and stuffy for us. You folks sure convinced us that all of the CCC folks (and those from other units attending the rally) are a very fun group! We had such a great time we joined the CCC (and WBCCI) before we left the campground.

Happy New Year,
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #118
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
Rally Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer1874 View Post
This is Judy Bechthold, Region 12 President and maker of the motion. I was asked by a member in our region to put this forward to the IBT which I did because I thought it was an interesting concept. After reading (yes, we do read what's being said about our Club) all these responses, I have made the decision to withdraw the motion. I do not want to cause disharmony in our Club. If the person(s) who wants this to go to the IBT is still interested, they will need to make a new motion which I will vote against based on some of the very reasonable arguments here.
Thanks Judy, I started this thread not to air dirty laundry but to bring attention to an idea which I felt was counter productive to participation and recruitment. My wife and I have been club members going on 14 years and we have seen actions and been involved during some of the most contentious membership arguments with management during that time. The last year or so it seemed we had a break from that and I personally would like to see the rhetoric turn to the spirit for which the historical club was known and can be again. See you all down the road! WAM

wam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Some units are growing, others are not. Find out what makes the successful units...successful!
Good point. Has the leadership looked at that? Are the successful units taking members from the other units, or are they enrolling people who were not members?

Gene
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Good point. Has the leadership looked at that? Are the successful units taking members from the other units, or are they enrolling people who were not members?

Gene
Our unit has grown from about 46 members when we joined to over 100 currently with a top of 119 last year. We have added members each and every year for at least the last 8 years. Part of our growth is from failing units, but the majority is by retaining new members who often disppear after a year. First of all, we are informal and shy away from a lot of unnecessary and time wasting "ritual." We are an active unit with plenty of rallies and luncheons. Additionally, we have a good mentoring system, a good website, and an excellent newsletter. All these things keep people involved.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Wow...on behalf of myself and the entire Central Coast California unit, we thank you, Scott & Becky! It was a pleasure meeting you over New Years and to have you join our unit. We look forward to many more rallies with you!

And I agree with Pahaska, whom I hope to meet to find out more about what you're doing right, an easy to find & easy to navigate website with current unit information is absolutely crucial in 1) keeping unit members updated and 2) attracting new members.

There are many units around. Do not feel locked into a local unit but rather find one where you 'connect' with the people. If you're going to spend a weekend with someone you may as well like 'em! And above all, don't forget to focus on "Fun, Friendship & Camping", our unit's motto!
Follow us on Facebook and our website:
www.GreaterLosAngelesAirstreamUnit.wbcci.net
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #122
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
. Some units are growing, others are not. Find out what makes the successful units...successful!
Precisely. Retention of 1-2 year members is perhaps the club's greatest impediment to growth.

An excellent presentation on new-member retention was given by Louise Humble and other Membership Chairpersons at the Region 5 Rally. Notes from that presentation are posted on wbcci.org for units to use.

We are also working on a survey of current members to assess how the club can be improved and made more attractive to younger, working Airstream owners and families with children.

Carolyn
ECC
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
That's fantastic Carolyn...look forward to hearing the results and actionable items from those surveys!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #124
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraubear View Post
We are also working on a survey of current members to assess how the club can be improved and made more attractive to younger, working Airstream owners and families with children.
Apologies for nitpicking, but if the majority of the present membership does not consist of younger, working Airstream owners and families with children, wouldn't it be equally— if not more— productive to also survey non-members, such as here on the AirForums, who fall into that demographic, and see what they think the club will need to offer in order to be attractive to them?

There is a slim but definite distinction between "What do we need to do to keep you as a member?" versus "What do we need to do to get you as a member?"

Retaining people who would otherwise quit the club after a year or two is good, but without attracting more new members as well, it's a stopgap measure to slow the erosion.

As a working Airstream owner and WBCCI member, one thing that would help keep me in the club is more events scheduled to take place on holiday weekends when a lot of people (and kids) already have time off from work/school. Yes, I know that those are traditionally busier times at most campgrounds, and it's harder to get good discounts on holiday weekends. But when I have a choice between taking one extra day off to get a four-day holiday weekend of camping, compared to one extra day off to get a three-day non-holiday weekend of camping, I know which gives me the most bang for my buck. A three-day weekend is hardly worth the trip in many cases, where it's a day's drive out, two nights and one day camping, then a day's drive back in order to get back to work.

When I can swing a full week off, taking four days of vacation time in a holiday week to give me a nine-day vacation, first Saturday to second Sunday, is an even better use of my limited vacation time. But without WBCCI events scheduled during that nine-day window of opportunity, I'm more likely to go camping by myself, or with a group of non-WBCCI friends.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Someone should be doing exit interviews with those who leave the club.

Some of those who leave post here, but a lot don't.

Gene
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Exit interview

The membership chairman and the HQ do send out surveys to non-renewers. The results are predictable and published as part of the Membership Chairman's report. The reasons include: sold our Airstream, death or health of one of the partners, ageing out of the lifestyle because of no longer to travel. Response to the request to fill in the survey are the usual 20% or so. Don will be leaving his post this July but you could contact him to gain a more complete perspective. We can not do much about most of the reasons long term members leave. The challenge is to renew the short term members and attracting the new younger generation of Airstreamers. Each unit receives the names of new Airstream owners and most follow up and get a few to look. Many younger working families do not seen to be want to spend $80 to join an existing older set of campers and travelers.