Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are no longer members, but also thank you for doing the right thing.

May your actions have the power to influence others in a positive manner.

Maggie

Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Judy, I hope you will help the club reform so that people like us, who were once interested in joining, but changed our minds when we learned how toxic it had become, could someday join.

Gene

Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Thank you, Judy.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Thank you, Judy.
I agree. I was taken aback by the motion and I'm glad it has gone away.

The IBT must reconcile to the fact that this is a much smaller club and adjust expenses to reflect that fact. Maybe the International Rally must go if that is what it takes.

BTW, as a Past President, I have nothing but admiration for the ladies at HQ.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #103
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Judy,

Welcome to the forums, and sorry that your arrival had to be in such a contentious thread.

I hope that you will continue to participate, as I believe a forum such as Airforums (now that WBCCI has gotten out of the forum business) could be a useful and positive mechanism for considering improvements to WBCCI.

Having been an Airforums participant for several years (and a WBCCI member long before that) I am keenly aware that Airforums has often been a very WBCCI-unfriendly place, with WBCCI frequently in the position of a side of beef in a shark feeding frenzy. In recent years Airforums has witnessed WBCCI members suspended, WBCCI members expelled, lawsuits threatened, and lawsuits actually filed. However much of that drama appears to be a thing of the past, and lately the WBCCI section of the forums has been a pretty peaceful place.

So again, welcome to Airforums, and thanks for withdrawing the motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer1874 View Post
This is Judy Bechthold, Region 12 President and maker of the motion. I was asked by a member in our region to put this forward to the IBT which I did because I thought it was an interesting concept. After reading (yes, we do read what's being said about our Club) all these responses, I have made the decision to withdraw the motion. I do not want to cause disharmony in our Club. If the person(s) who wants this to go to the IBT is still interested, they will need to make a new motion which I will vote against based on some of the very reasonable arguments here.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Judy....I respect your decision to withdraw the motion - the fact that you made this public by posting on AirForums even further validates my high regard for you.

Wish I could join all of you at IBT this year but unfortunately my role as producer of the 2013 Modernism Week Vintage Trailer Show in Palm Springs makes it difficult to do so. Next year most definitely!!!

Look forward to seeing you in Huron.

Mona Heath, WBCCI #3339
President, Oregon Unit #090
Candidate, Region 10 2nd VP
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Thank you, Judy!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Judy, I hope you will help the club reform so that people like us, who were once interested in joining, but changed our minds when we learned how toxic it had become, could someday join.

Gene
With all due repect. The most Toxic thing about WBCCI is what a few people on Airforums have drilled into all of us. I have been involved with other clubs over the years, car clubs, motorcycle, etc. Never have I seen a group of a few people such as on this site, go out of their way to denegrate a club that some of them are not even members of. Yes, the folks at the intenational level need to reform. But the local level is alive and friendly. Join a local unit. If you like the people great. That is where real change will come from. Us at the local level. Our voice is growing louder, we need more voices. Regards, George
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Thank you George.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Thank you George for making your post. As a member of WBCCI and Past Unit President I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
With all due repect. The most Toxic thing about WBCCI is what a few people on Airforums have drilled into all of us. I have been involved with other clubs over the years, car clubs, motorcycle, etc. Never have I seen a group of a few people such as on this site, go out of their way to denegrate a club that some of them are not even members of. Yes, the folks at the intenational level need to reform. But the local level is alive and friendly. Join a local unit. If you like the people great. That is where real change will come from. Us at the local level. Our voice is growing louder, we need more voices. Regards, George
You know, we belonged for a couple of years and made a point of attending two consecutive midwinter IBT meetings----to see for ourselves what was going on with those in control---also to see if this was something we wanted to support and be a part of.

It was not.

Maggie
Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
The most Toxic thing about WBCCI is what a few people on Airforums have drilled into all of us.…Never have I seen a group of a few people such as on this site, go out of their way to denegrate a club that some of them are not even members of.George
It is a lot more than a "few" and the more than a few includes those who were members, those who are still members, and those that decided not to be members. There are also people who defend the WBCCI. My impression is there are fewer defenders than those who criticize the club. And what I have noticed over the years is that the defenders don't defend as much and acknowledge there are problems. That's a good sign—maybe reform will come.

As you also stated, change comes from below and I wish you well with that. In the 5+ years I have been reading about the WBCCI, the complaints about it don't change, the statements that change must come from the bottom have been made many times and reform has not happened. It is hard not to be skeptical despite some small changes in supporters' posts.

I also wonder what the WBCCI provides that cannot be found elsewhere? There are Forum rallies, other club rallies, caravans not connected with the WBCCI and contacts through the Forum. People stay in contact through PM's, e-mail and even the telephone. I read over and over the Blue Beret is poorly done and having looked at a copy, I concur. What the WBCCI does provide is conflict and that does have some interest. After all, a lot of movies and TV shows are based on conflict. But the WBCCI script doesn't change and the quest never ends. Even the best conflict-oriented TV show comes to an end.

I know a lot of people have developed friendships through their units and it is perfectly understandable they want to maintain them. I understand the trade off. Of course, the same people could get together anyway on their own and save the annual dues. Considering the thousands who have quit in recent years, some of them must have found an alternative. Considering all the people who have quit the club, they probably do get together with each other at their own rallies.

Gene
Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #111
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I also wonder what the WBCCI provides that cannot be found elsewhere?
I have to concur with pretty much everything you've said.

WBCCI is a non-profit organization, and it set up like one, legally, which limits the degree of change that's possible, because some of the rigid parlaimentary procedural stuff is part and parcel of being an NPO. Some. Not all. Improvement is always possible, if enough of the right people want improvement.

But there has to be more to an NPO than just perpetuating the NPO. So far in the past year or so that I've been a member of WBCCI, it seems that the most progress has been made by the Electronic Communications standing committee, who have done wonders updating the WBCCI website. Though there's still more improvments needed, so they can't just rest on their laurels. I think it's significant that they solicited input from the AirForums in the process of making their improvements.

Possibly the least progress— or at least os it appears to me— is in the RV Parks standing committee, the stated goals of which are to "To initiate and maintain a program with available RV Parks that affords WBCCI members discounts for overnight parking. The chairman shall insure that all parks are contacted each year in order to insure the park’s continued participation. The chairman shall work with the Headquarters Staff to insure publication of the RV Parks list each year in the annual directory, and the distribution of the specially designed RV Parks decal." To me, it seems like the RV Parks Standing Committee is concentrating their efforts on the few Airstream-only parks scattered around the country, with little to nothing being done to obtain discounts for the parks that most Airstreamers actually visit. There was a thread on this subject in the past year, so I'm not trying to turn this into an "RV Park Discounts" thread. It seems plain from that prior thread that the RV Parks committee has no interest in input from the AirForums (assuming any of them even log on), and not much interest in improving their services, either. Of course, standard disclaimer #3 applies: The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of management. The IBT may think this committee is doing a wonderful job.

With 22 standing committees altogether, plus whatever other temporary committees as may be formed to address specific issues, all making reports every six months for the IBT, I would hope that some of them do an internal review, and admit, "You know, we could do a better job if only the IBT would let us [insert new and innovative procedure here]."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #112
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Thank You. You two make my point perfectly.
Have yourself a great day.