Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #155
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
So, right from the get-go, persons new to the site are lost. It's not exactly intuitive that you first have to click the "Join" tab to get to the map of the regions. And as previously pointed out, if they're not ready to join, they probably won't click a tab that says "Join" anyway.
Apologies to the ECC and the AirForums users who actually read my post above, but what I said above wasn't entirely accurate. You can get to the region links through the "Join" tab as I said, but you can also do it through the "Home" tab.

Of couse, that's not exactly intuitive, either. If you're just arrived at WBCCI.org, you wouldn't necessarily think to click "Home" since you're already home. Since clicking the banner takes the viewer home to the welcome page and thus is the real "home" link, perhaps the "Home" tab could be renamed to something more representative of the drop-down links it contains.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #156
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Yes a big weakness with the current website is the event and calendar system. We have looked a several solutions and tried many calendar systems, but none of them where easy to manage or would work for the club. Finding a 'better' way is one of our top goals for the upcoming year. The club in general, needs a better way to report and gather Unit events. Way too many units with 'TBA'. Currently we just run what is in the Blue Beret, but that is only three months out, and we should have the entire year available. We are trying, and thank you for the input.

Damon

Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #157
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Seems to me that WBCCI recruiters, whether at the Unit level, Region level, or the Membership standing committee, ought to be lurking on the AirForums, even if they don't play in the sandbox with the rest of us. They should take note whenever someone announces that he/she has just bought an Airstream, so that said new owner can be contacted with an invitation, even if only through an AirForums private message...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal View Post
Lots of great conversation happening here! Can we convince Don to stay on come July? During my short tenure in the WB, I've seen changes, they are coming. Baby steps, perhaps, but we're moving ahead.
Hello especially Protagonist and Lynda SilverPal but all other AirForum members as well.

I have been not only a very long-time member (AIR #42) but have been reading almost every message - particularly anything to do with WBCCI from members or non-members over many years. I have picked up some great suggestions as well as problems and have done my best to implement or solve them. Although I do not publicly post many messages I do send PMs to address certain issues as I have found there were tremendous 'flames' and 'attacks' which went on and on. I also contacted many prospective WBCCI members privately offering information and help where I could. Listening to Airstream owners is extremely important and I have tried to encourage especially regions and the international officers to at least 'lurk', listen to what members and non-members are saying and consider their views. Carolyn Fraubear, from the Electronics Communication Committee and I have worked together for a very long time for the betterment of WBCCI - she is a gem, listens to others view and works exceedingly hard.

As far as 'Can we convince Don to stay on come July' -thanks for the what I think is a compliment. Not sure if you know but usually the International Membership Chairman serves only one year, at the request of the International President. I have served three consecutive times and was asked to continue another year, but have declined. Unfortunately this job is a 'daily' resonsibility and not just writing the monthly Blue Beret articles or monthly emails to the region membership chairmen, region presidents and the Executive Committee, etc (I guess I have made it that way as I love WBCCI and its members and try to do my very best for them). It is now time for others to take up the membership torch and for the first time in almost 20 years of working at the unit, region and international level for my wife and I to relax and enjoy what I always say as the FUN, FELLOWSHIP and ADVENTURE and get back on the caravan trail meeting more of you great people - both Club members and those that are not.

All that being said, if anyone wants to discuss something with me - just drop me a PM and I will do my best to help.

Cheers,
Don McKelvay
WBCCI International Membership Chairman
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #158
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Mapping Rallies...

Good idea re: mapping more Rallies. We did the ESRI ArcGIS Santa Clara Unit rally maps as a test before starting the Courtesy Parking (CP) version. Now that the CP concept seems to work reasonably well, will take a look at what a Regional Rally Map might feel like.

Did a quick test of the concept: Region 12 Rally Map. Will be looking at folding this into at least the Region 12 website. It's a conceptual start. I think the real version would be re-done in the Google-based format that CP will probably later migrate to (easier to support).

This is new and interesting stuff. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well our WBCCI members like the spatial representations. Even just for the test.

Good ideas!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aolani View Post
Good idea re: mapping more Rallies. We did the ESRI ArcGIS Santa Clara Unit rally maps as a test before starting the Courtesy Parking (CP) version. Now that the CP concept seems to work reasonably well, will take a look at what a Regional Rally Map might feel like.

Did a quick test of the concept: Region 12 Rally Map. Will be looking at folding this into at least the Region 12 website. It's a conceptual start. I think the real version would be re-done in the Google-based format that CP will probably later migrate to (easier to support).

This is new and interesting stuff. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well our WBCCI members like the spatial representations. Even just for the test.

Good ideas!
Very cool map and appears to be very easy to use. I just added it to my list of bookmarks!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #160
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Don, yep, it was a compliment! You have been a GREAT help over the years and have always assisted when I came knocking via email. Never once did you make me feel I didn't have direct access to our International Member Chair. Thank you for all your years of service and for leading the membership drive, what I feel is the most important component of all WBCCI. You're leaving some big shoes to fill! Jim and I hope to see you at IBT? International?? Or somewhere Down the Road! Safe journey and enjoy you're well-deserved travels!

Follow us on Facebook and our website:
www.GreaterLosAngelesAirstreamUnit.wbcci.net
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote