Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
The new version looks nice and thankfully the caravan listings are back in this years edition after being removed as a cost savings in 2011. We were concerned about whether the covers would make it thru the mail intact, but since we pay extra for first class postage it arrived on Christmas eve in great shape. It is unfortunate that we have had to do 1st class postage for over a year now because all of our Blue Berets were each arriving about a month late with mangled covers. That didn't start until about 2 years ago - before that they used to arrive without damage and in a timely fashion. Maybe our Blue Beret was a victim of US Post Office cost cutting.

I just wish we could still purchase (at extra cost) the optional spiral bound editions in the smaller size. We used to get one every year because they were easier to use than the glue bound standard edition. And the smaller size makes for easier stowage in both the Airstream and tow vehicle.

Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I cast a vote for a pdf format or App that I can have on my MacBook, iPad, or iPhone. I am tired of having so much paper to lug around. It wouldn't take a Freshman computer science major 2 hours to scan the entire directory and put it on the website to download.

Maybe the folks in the motorhomes with the underbay storage lockers have forgotten that Wally didn't intend for us to carry a lot of "stuff" in an Airstream.

This project should take little time or money to complete. As Larry the Cable Guy says "GetErDun"

Mike Brumback
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #17

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Some sort of electronic database that provides an app interface. The data could be sorted by name, WBCCI number, etc. You wouldn't need three or four different sections of a directory pre-sorted in different sequences. The data would simply be accessed with the app and sorted however you want it.

Just think... as members are added (yes, new members join from time to time) the data would be available immediately.

Looking for courtesy parking? Why thumb through pages when all you have to do is select the "nearby" (use current location) button.

The possibilities are nearly endless! Why is the WBCCI stuck in this printed, dark-ages period? I'd love to submit this in a courteous manner as a suggestion to WBCCI. Oh yeah, that's right, the WBCCI doesn't have an online forum. Hmmm... guess I'd have to bring it up to the unit president, the unit would have to vote, the region V.P. would be involved, it would be tabled a time or two.... ARRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

What gives?

So as it stands now, I will not see a directory for several months. My check is in snail mail, the unit will send the information to headquarters, at some point I'll receive the new directory, but my information will not be in the directory. Granted, it's my fault that I did not renew "in time." But why does there have to be a "time?" Why isn't the time now and the database is updated as needed.

I really do like WBCCI and we plan to remain members but this is certainly a difficult club to deal with.
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin

Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
We would rather they save the $12,000 somewhere else and keep the old format which fit nicely into the door pocket. Putting it in the pocket behind the seat is a poor option when you are going down the road and want to look up a number you see while under way.

Ours also had the front cover torn to pieces by the post office.

Very disappointed. We will just use last year's.
Hmmm, Mine came in undamaged, cover is fine. I guess the postal employees in WI do a better job than CA! For $12,000 I can ask the wife to reach around the seat and get it. Then again I have never really cared "who" is going the other way but I do care that its an AIRSTREAM! I guess numbers mean nothing to me anymore.......
I'm NOT an old man.............
54 Flying Cloud
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
2 of our 3 directories arrived in perfect condition. Where is the 3rd one???
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
2014 Mouse count: Buttercup - 0 / Airtini -
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Mine arrive undamaged, but I was surprised that is was not taped shut, I thought that was a post office requirement now, but maybe that is only for first class delivery.

I like the new format, you can read it much better with the larger font, and it still fits in the glove box.

damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
how about a section of members by state?
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I really do like WBCCI and we plan to remain members but this is certainly a difficult club to deal with.
Not to hijack the thread, but we totally agree
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
We agree too. Lots of years in the club, love our local folks but boy the national club politics never seems to stop.
forfulltimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Originally Posted by forfulltimin View Post
We agree too. Lots of years in the club, love our local folks but boy the national club politics never seems to stop.
Same here.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
regardless of your feelings about the marketing to the younger crowd, don't let it hurt your feelings.
Look at GM's failure to do the same thing 2 decades ago. Remember Oldsmobile.....Too late, but look what Cadillac did to revitalize worked, the average age of the buyer has fallen by some 15 years. Watch Buick. It is in the midst of its conversion, after the Cadillac model. Average age of the buyer has fallen almost 10 years in the last 4 model years, primarily due to the Enclave. Follow up with LaCrosse, Regal, Encore, etc.

AS has already begun. The International, and Eddie Bauer are excellent examples.

The club must align with the societal demographic change....or die a slow and painful Oldsmobile.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #26

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'd cast my lot for an electronic format. A compressed, searchable PDF wouldn't be a very large file and would accomplish most of the wants listed above (for a geek, anyway... I could keep a copy of the PDF on my smartphone and always think about searching, though I realize I'm not the average user... "average user" is something of an insult in my business.)
— David

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #27
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
My copy arrived in the mailbox today. It was in good condition. No problems. Right off I think I prefer the small version from last year better, however my vote is for a version on electrons. Maybe an app that has a quick search function. Just type in 9777 in your smart phone and BAM! There I am!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
Mine arrive undamaged, but I was surprised that is was not taped shut, I thought that was a post office requirement now, but maybe that is only for first class delivery.

I like the new format, you can read it much better with the larger font, and it still fits in the glove box.

Since I have firsthand experience with the USPS, I can honestly tell you, that taping shut a magazine format hasn't been in effect for printing companies for years.
Now, the Post Office has a new machine in use in some sections of the country that may or may not have ill effects on your magazines, directories and catalogs and such (letters are sorted through an entirely different machine and have been for over 25 years now, why do you think it ONLY costs .45 to mail a letter).
Large mailers do not fall under the same mailing restrictions as someone who walks up to a window clerk to mail something.
By working both the mail sorting area, and now for 8 plus years as a letter carrier, I simply didn't have time as a mail sorting clerk or as a letter carrier to take the time out of my 500 plus deliveries (in less than 6 hours) to go through everyone's mail and make sure to rip up your front and back covers.
It's all the machines that handle your mail that causes this, well the machines and how the printing companies bundle up your magazines, directories and catalogs.
If you've got a beef with the condition of your directory, I suggest all to contact WBCCI and have them check into delivery options with teh printing company of the directories next year (my suggestion, shrink-wrap the bundles instead of plastic straps).
Just my .02 worth.
Thanks, Derek

crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote