Old 01-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #253
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I would recommend voting on it as presented and if it passes then proceed to propose desired changes, if you have any. That's my take on it anyway.
Depending on how "wonderful" this new constitution it may be best to vote it out, push Forest's motion through and then work on changes. At least Forest's motion breaks up the power block.

Just a thought, Dan

P.S. I got a letter from Cindy Reed today asking me to reconsider renewing my membership in the WBCCI. What do you think my response might be after today's example of fine leadership? The timing could not have been better.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #254
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Do I have a say in that? If you go I will be very disappointed! But boy do I understand! If it wasn't for the VAC, we would be gone also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Looks like we maybe done. We will sleep on it but it doesn't look good for Chris and I staying members after this year is up.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #255
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If they hold the usual "State of the Club" meeting at Sarasota this year it should be lively
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bob seems fully assimilated into that self-important IBT mindset. He has information but won't share it when members ask. It's not about what members want and need, it's about power and secrecy and being better than the rest.

You could be so helpful, Bob. Shame on you.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #257
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Maggie, that's really not a fair statement, who on any committee posts here more than myself.

assimilated - now that's really funny.

I said that the committee needs to finalize the document over the next 10 days or so.

Until then all should relax, I don't know what you think I'm not sharing that I have first hand knowledge about.

let me repeat Kerry's message;

The Blue Book Revision Committee was initiated by President Norm Beu at the July 5, 2010 meeting in Gillette as a Special Committee of the Executive Committee. Why a Revision Committee? RONR describes the Revision process as one that includes sufficient changes that the resulting document really is a new document, not an amended document. Our Constitution, Bylaws and Policy - the Blue Book - is an amalgam of original text, multiple amendments and additions. It is complex, frequently contradictory or ambiguous and cumbersome. It needs an overhaul.
Dona Garner, our Club Parliamentarian, was asked to Chair the Committee and I was asked to be a member. Joe Perryman from Washington was next, followed by Bob Novak, Metro NY and finally Tom Smithson from the NorCal Unit. We started as a diverse group of members from different geographic areas, with differing backgrounds in the Club. What we shared is a passion for this Club and a desire to see it move forward at a time when most of the news we get about the state of our Club is not encouraging.
At the outset, we had a ready supply of material to work with. Over the past number of years, there have been studies, member surveys, failed motions to amend the Constitution and Bylaws, reports from the 2020 Committee and many ideas for change that never reached the motion stage. We interviewed Standing Committee Chairs, Region Presidents, and Executive Committee members. Much of what we needed to do our job already existed or had been previously discussed.
A Constitution is the foundation on which an organization is built. Ours was designed in an era when WBCCI was growing into a club with tens of thousands of members. That is not the Club that we have today and our Constitution has grown dated. It is important to understand that the Constitution and its Bylaws are a very integrated package, where any change, even a small one, can have unintended consequences in one, two or five other areas. That has made amending our Constitution and Bylaws a difficult task.

A Revision provides an opportunity for a fresh, comprehensive approach. The goal is to have a new Constitution ready for review by the members of WBCCI in the coming weeks, studied and then voted on by Units for the Delegates meeting at the International Rally in DuQuoin this June. I commend our President and the Executive Committee for having the courage to give us this opportunity and the commitment to see it through to completion.
Ladies and gentlemen, after many hundreds of hours of work, we are almost finished in drafting a new Constitution for WBCCI. We are still working some minor details but we are 99% there. We believe that this proposed Constitution is a workable approach to running the business of WBCCI in a leaner, more efficient and more participative manner. It is appropriate for the Club that we are today and hopefully will be well into the future. While a new Constitution can help us to operate more efficiently, it doesn’t change the real heart of WBCCI – Fun, Fellowship and Adventure. Instead, it changes how we do our business.

So what is different? Virtually every Article and Section has been changed in some manner – from editorial changes to complete rewrites. The following are some of the highlights:

·
We have gone back to our club roots and replaced the Code of Ethics with a Standard of Conduct that is positive, that further enshrines the Fun, Fellowship and Adventure of WBCCI.
·
The proposal is based on a leaner WBCCI structure, with a smaller Executive Committee and a smaller regional structure resulting in a smaller IBT.
·
We are shortening the term of office for region officers and lengthening the term for the International Treasurer and Recording Secretary, for purposes of continuity.
·
We are proposing to use direct member voting for election of officers and for future amendments to our Constitution while retaining a deliberative forum for discussing key issues.
·
We are giving greater flexibility in setting dates for the International Rally and, since with direct member voting there will be no Delegates, we will have fewer meetings at the rally, allowing more opportunity for Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
·
We are proposing that MALs be given more rights within the Club, such as the right to vote and hold office in Intra-Clubs and at the International level.
·
There is a simplified and streamlined process for any future amendments to the Constitution and Standard of Conduct that will be the same for all, no matter where the proposed amendment originates.

· One thing that is new is that WBCCI will be able to use electronic means to do any and all of its business, as may be appropriate. Our current Constitution doesn’t allow that.
This proposed constitution truly is a new document and a new way for WBCCI to conduct its affairs. But as Darrell Watters described us at Gillette last year, we are a traveling social club. What we value and want to maintain are the social aspects of our Club. Nothing that we are proposing will change that.

So, what is next? We are doing our final edit o make sure that we have all the words right and haven’t overlooked anything in the final document. An explanation of what is different and the rationale will be developed to be distributed along with the proposed Constitution.

This material will be made available to all Units so that members can study the proposal, vote on it and instruct their Delegate. The Delegates meeting at DuQuoin will be a pivotal meeting for the future of this Club. We may never have a better opportunity to make these kinds of decisions. To the Units, we ask that you make sure that your Delegate will be there and that your voice will be heard on this critical issue.

Our Committee has also started work on the Bylaws and Policy, but of course cannot go too far down that road until the Delegates vote and approve a new Constitution. Once that is done, the Bylaws will follow quickly and we can assure you, they will also be slimmer and simpler.

Mr. President, we are very confident that we have a good workable package that will move this Club forward, that will remove some of the irritants that have caused dissention and that will give us a leaner, more efficient organization. There have been many calls for change in WBCCI.

Well, it’s here and it’s time. Members of WBCCI, it’s your time to decide.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #258
Rivet Master

Bob,

You're starting to sound like a parrot again. Say something new or you won't get a cracker!

(Where have I heard that line before)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Maggie, that's really not a fair statement, who on any committee posts here more than myself.

assimilated - now that's really funny.

I said that the committee needs to finalize the document over the next 10 days or so.

Until then all should relax, I don't know what you think I'm not sharing that I have first hand knowledge about.

I think it's completely fair and accurate, Bob. You answer questions with questions and/or evasive answers. Look at your own posts.

This has been a social work field study in organizational and bureaucratic behavior.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #260
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I would recommend voting on it as presented and if it passes then proceed to propose desired changes, if you have any. That's my take on it anyway.
How can you say that without having seen the changes? The present organization certainly needs to be changed, but the events of the last few days (and the last few months) engender little confidence that the new constitution and bylaws are better than the present.

And we've seen how well "proceeding to propose desired changes" works.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #261
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Yes but by the end of the next International we will have a different, oops, wrong word, Make that new president.

I do find the preliminary report encouraging. Hopefully the documents will be distribute soon on the web and maybe by constant contact. I would like to see them before the Sarasota Rally.
I do think if they prove to be anywhere near satisfactory we should push them through and tweak later
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #262
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Bob,

Thank you for the reply and the transcript. The answer to my question is embedded within it. If I'm reading it correctly, the simply answer is "yes".

I look forward to soon receiving the entire document.

Thank you for your work on the committee.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #263
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Bob - thanks for the list of goals for the revision. As we saw yesterday, the devil is in the details (I'm sure you already know that).

Yesterday's issue could have been resolved with a very quick interpretation by the IBT, reversing the "precedent" the CBL Chair used in his opinion. It was clear the Region Presidents were frustrated that they were directed to move backward with the Region 11 motion.

The change should focus administrative power with the EC but all decision making and interpretive power with the Region Officers. This encourages change as the membership wishes.

If the new revision limits membership to Airstream owners and limits the power of the EC, I will recommend a YES vote to my unit (over 300 votes). I look forward to reading the proposal.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #264
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
How can you say that without having seen the changes? The present organization certainly needs to be changed, but the events of the last few days (and the last few months) engender little confidence that the new constitution and bylaws are better than the present.

And we've seen how well "proceeding to propose desired changes" works.
I say that because past history has shown that if the delegates start tearing it apart NOTHING will happen. If it looks to be a move if the proper direction we need to go with it (and from the summary report, I am encouraged that it is, but of course am waiting it see the final version as is everyone else). It can then be further revised later.

There is no way, as some here would like, that a document such as this could be edited and created by a cast of thousands (on these forums). Common sense dictates that a small group of committed and trustworthy individuals really needed to do it. I know we had no choice in selecting those individuals, but I believe they met the requirements and are trying to put forth the best document possible. And I say this not calling any of them friends, having met only one of then once, but I know some of them by their past actions. I do not consider them "insiders" and that is important.

I know this new constitution will not be everything to everyone - nothing can be and these forums are proving that some members have no idea what they want since they wanted many of the changes it APPEARS that this revision will offer, but they are tearing it and the messenger apart before actually seeing the document (and that is not pointed at you).

I just don't see why everyone can't be patient to see what comes of this before making all of the negative comments. Maybe they will be justified and say "I told you so" then, but maybe, just maybe they will be surprised and happy with what they see. I will remain the optimist until proven wrong.

P.S. And yes I am VERY disappointed by what happened to Forrest's motion, but if this new Constitution is what it is claimed to be, that motion may have become a moot point. That said, Forrest's motion should have been allowed to proceed.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #265
Rivet Master

Rick,

If it's true that we maybe going to a 1M1V, which depending on how that's setup in the "re-wrtten Constitution" and depending on if you need 51% or 2/3rds to change the possible "New Constitution" depending on how that's setup in term of voting (if you don't vote, you have no say, which many Units only get about 50% of the people voting), it could be almost impossible to change this thing or stop anything the IBT wants to do. I'm not sure I agree with the "pass it now, change it later" idea. That almost sounds like what the last congress did with the healthcare bill.

Granted, I think we need to see what's in it before going off the deep-end, but for people to also say we should pass it before even seeing it is just a bad.

I think most would say the way Norm acted was one of the worst anyone has seen which is sad because everyone was thinking he was so great. If you lay down with dogs your going to get fleas and that is what he has done. My guess they are all sitting around scratching thinking what a great job they did. Gotta remember they are the "Big Dogs" of the WBCCI and you will not get on the front porch unless they want you too.

YouTube - Move it on Over - Hank Williams
Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #266
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Rick,

I'm not sure I agree with the "pass it now, change it later" idea. That almost sounds like what the last congress did with the healthcare bill.

]
Paul,

I just knew deep down that some one would compare my remarks to the health care bill.

At least we don't have earmarks, or do we?

Why I favor pushing it through if it is close to what we need with no MAJOR flaws is simply I have watched to many IBT and delegate slice and dice meetings, and once that starts it will take years to do, if at all
The recent caravan motion being a prime example.

I won.t make any personal decisions about supporting it until I read it.

I was also becoming convinced we had an IP that "gets it" but that went down the tubes yesterday.
I guess he didn't want to hurt Schafers feelings

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Tags
wbcci