Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Shop Teacher

2006 25' Safari FB SE
tigard , Oregon
2010 International rally fee

Just my initial thought, The $480-500 rally fee seems a bit steep. It will have a big effect on our decision to attend. I know it is nice to have 30 amp power and sewer. But, is there an option not to have this if it keeps the rally fee down? If WBCCI wants to increase attendance they need to keep the cost a bit more affordable.
We did have a great time at Bozeman and would like to attend Gillette.

Mike Rogers,
Oregon Unit President #5452
mike rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rogers View Post
Just my initial thought, The $480-500 rally fee seems a bit steep. It will have a big effect on our decision to attend. I know it is nice to have 30 amp power and sewer. But, is there an option not to have this if it keeps the rally fee down? If WBCCI wants to increase attendance they need to keep the cost a bit more affordable.
We did have a great time at Bozeman and would like to attend Gillette.

Mike Rogers,
Oregon Unit President #5452
Mike,

I posted a similar question on the WBCCI forum, in the members only section, on July 22. I am still waiting for a response from the leadership.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
The $480 rally cost is an increase of $210. based on 2009 prices for those of us who do not want full hook ups. I have felt like I was all alone complaining about the lack of 3 amp parking over on the new wbcci forum. The lack of reasonably priced 3 amp, or even no electric and water parking is why we did not pre register and most likely will not attend the Gillette rally. That will be our first miss after 14 straight.
Nice to know that we are not totally alone. I do not feel hookups are worth an additional $26. per day based on our typical 8 day stay

Rick Davis
PP VAC 2002-03
RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
One more nail in the coffin

We had already pretty much written off Giillette just because it was a repeat of Wyoming way too soon after Bozeman. I think the price seals the deal; we will not be attending.

I think the days of the International rally, as it is presently defined, are fast drawing to a close. The world has changed and the rally has not. Madison is going to lose $40 to $60,000. I expect to see more big losses down the road and the bucket only holds so much.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
We had already pretty much written off Giillette just because it was a repeat of Wyoming way too soon after Bozeman. I think the price seals the deal; we will not be attending.

I think the days of the International rally, as it is presently defined, are fast drawing to a close. The world has changed and the rally has not. Madison is going to lose $40 to $60,000. I expect to see more big losses down the road and the bucket only holds so much.
My memory of the IBT meetings this year is that there is about $200,000 in the International Rally fund. So that would make three to five more internationals at the current burn rate.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Shop Teacher

2006 25' Safari FB SE
tigard , Oregon
more thoughts

My wife pointed out with our two kids it would be $ 620. We do not see why having them with us makes the cost go up. There are no meals or benefits that they get from being there, they want wifi and cable. Which is not listed as a option. so why do they increase the cost?
mike rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You raise a good question. Why charge for kids at a rally with no meals and virtually no activities for kids.

With the club aging, why price out the younger families that are so badly needed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
You raise a good question. Why charge for kids at a rally with no meals and virtually no activities for kids.

With the club aging, why price out the younger families that are so badly needed.
According to Linda Ammee, there were several activities for the children. The youth web site is here: New Page 2 It is my understanding that these activities are paid for by the child rally fee.

I have heard this complaint before and I don't believe that the youth committee does a good job of promoting itself.

I know in Bozeman that we had to hunt for information, although our 10 week old granddaughter was not going to participate in any of the activities, we wanted to find out about them. The youth center was not near any of the other venues.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-28-2009, 04:45 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rogers View Post
My wife pointed out with our two kids it would be $ 620. We do not see why having them with us makes the cost go up. There are no meals or benefits that they get from being there, they want wifi and cable. Which is not listed as a option. so why do they increase the cost?
Now the way to make that number work for you is to become a volunteer. You pay the same, work a three or four hour shift and they feed you breakfast almost everyday. There will be special dinners and some lunches too. Then when the full fare attendees come that all stops. If you volunteer to break down you can stay even longer and the feeding will start again. You have say 5 weeks to spend in Gillette right? That makes it only $17.70 a day.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Costs

Yes... this is one reason we are not attending... I have 3 kids and at next year will have 4... but fees only pertain to kids ages 5-17. That $620 is alot..... after you figure what it would cost for me to drive from central NY as well... and then, since I'm a working man, and it'll take a good week out and week back, I'll only be able to spend 3 or nights (just like this year) at the rally... that's $106 a night.. WOW!!! Why can't they go by time.. if you are there the whole time.. this much a day... with a discount if you stay longer..

It is $1800 miles one way.. and that's all Interstate.. so say 2000 miles to see the sights and America.. so that's 4000 miles out and back, and at $3 a gallon and 10mpg, that's 400 miles of gas, so another $1200 in fuel alone....

Almost $2000 just to get out there, stay the 3, ok, maybe 4 to get my moneys worth but that'll be pushing my vacation time, and back... doing nothing... and we know that doing things cost $$$$...

I think I'll stay home, maybe host an East Coast Wally Byam Birthday Bash here at the farm... for FREE (it'll be a boon-docking "Just Camping" like I'm doing in a couple weeks)... and have a blast!

At those costs, there'll be more red next year!!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Oh my word! The price goes up? I thought that this year was the price was bad. Good thing that I did not go.

I was looking at the grounds for the 2010 event and thought that the price would go down! As the grounds are READY TO GO!

No need for a early "water team" or "electric team" and even the early "parking team" would not need so much time as the GROUNDS ARE SET UP AND READY.

At least that is what it looks like from the web site.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Now the way to make that number work for you is to become a volunteer. You pay the same, work a three or four hour shift and they feed you breakfast almost everyday. There will be special dinners and some lunches too. Then when the full fare attendees come that all stops. If you volunteer to break down you can stay even longer and the feeding will start again. You have say 5 weeks to spend in Gillette right? That makes it only $17.70 a day.
Frank, why would they need volunteers as this is a full hookup site. No need for water lines or power wires. Parking would start when the rally starts. Buildings are ready to use. Why rent the site for 5 weeks just to have people come and spend the clubs money.
Seems they are just speeding up the demise of the International Rally. What will the next cost? It's never gone down in price
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
1993 34' Excella
Livingston , Texas
LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT. THE AVERAGE CAMPGROUND RATE IN GILLETTE APPEARS TO BE AROUND $35.00 PER DAYAND WEEKLY RATES ARE AVAILABLE. NOW THE OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL RALLY LASTS FOR A WEEK, SO THE CAMPGROUND COSTS WITH FULL HOOK-UPS SHOULD BE LESS THEN $250.00 BEFORE ANY GROUP DISCOUNT.

AND THEY WANT $500. - WHAT IS GOING ON?

NOW DON'T TELL ME IT IS FOR OFFICES MEETING PLACES, ENTERTAINMENT AND SO FORTH BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE AN OUTRAGEOUS COST FOR SUCH.

THE FAIR WHICH OCCURS AFTER OUR RALLY IS ADVERTISING "FREE" ENTERTAINMENT AND HAS MANNY BUILDINGS FOR USE AND IS COSTING THE VISITORS JUST A FEW DOLLARS TO GO AND ENJOY THE SAME FACILITIES.

DON'T BELIEVE ME, THEN CHECK OUT THE UPCOMING FAIR AT GILLEETTE ON ITS WEBSITE AND THE CAMPGROUND RATES ON THEIR SITES.

aND FOR THAT EXTRA $250, ARE WE GOING TO GET ANOTHER "MADISON CONVENTION"?
bob280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
International Ideas from the WDCU President

I just sent this to the IBT.. some of my thoughts.. I used some of your thoughts as well...

Dear IBT members,

From a concerned Washington DC Unit President...

As I get my new Blue Beret, I perused it and see the 2010 International Rally and fees associated with it. For a family oriented unit, mostly of working class types and for the future, I have some recommendations and concerns... as I know this year, the attendance numbers were way down.

I for one thought this year would be less expensive because the facilities are there and setting up would be easier.. I have to say, that as a family guy with 2 kids in the FEE range, that a $620 rally fee is too steep for us, especially with the costs to travel out there from central NY. Since I'm a working guy, I'd only be able to stay a few nights to make it back for work. So, question one..

1. Why can't the rally be set up as a "Pay per night up front fee" ?

Take this year for example.. I was only (due to work and travel time) to stay at International for 3 nights, 1 for the opening ceremonies, and another for the delegates meeting, and a day in between. Many see the $620 for a family with 2 kids as WAY TOO EXPENSIVE - and I'm hearing from my 121 plus or minus members with comments of "WOW!" - WHY? and I have no answer but a shrug of the shoulders..

I was looking at the grounds for the 2010 event and thought that the price would go down! As the grounds are READY TO GO!
No need for a early "water team" or "electric team" and even the early "parking team" would not need so much time as the GROUNDS ARE SET UP AND READY.

Why would there be a need volunteers as this is a full hookup site, is it not? No need for water lines or power wires. Parking would start when the rally starts. Buildings are ready to use. Why rent the site for 5 weeks just to have people come and spend OUR clubs money. That is not what I want portions of my $55 to go towards at all!!! It seems to me that this is just speeding up the demise of the International Rally - as less and less people will attend with these costs in these economic times.

Perhaps it is time to start having a MAJOR INTERNATIONAL rally every 5 years with the 4 years in between as Regional Internationals.. allowing more club members to attend... utilizing club money to bring the 6 regional (North East, South East, South Central, North Central (or just Central), North West and South West) Regions together with technology.. or just East, Central and West (three Regions).. and every 5 years (that people could plan for) to come together where the club would get numbers like 2500 coming together. Today many are not into using their vacation time year in and year out for the club like in the past.... and I think more people would come.. JUST an IDEA to consider.

Next, looking back at a list of 10 Commandments for Caravanners from 1959... one sticks out in my mind...

If anyone Caravanner has special privileges, the same privileges should be available to all.

so, my next question is this...

2. If the club is losing money, why doesn't the club leadership for go their travel stipend and lead by example.. especially since this special privilege is not available to all. Relax the requirement for the officers to go to so many rallies and it would help save $$ and lower costs. This would also show the general membership that the IBT has the good of the club in mind. In today's world and for continued success - a key point is "Flexibility is a capability"

Just another recommendation.

3. Get rid of the Unit Presidents dinner and throw a huge Unit President's POTLUCK DINNER... again going to a throwback to the club's early days...

Everyone gets to know everybody else real well through pot luck dinners... in the letter sent out with the 10 Commandments for Caravanner's....

Just some thoughts as I wind down my year as the WDCU President here in Region 2.

R/s,

Rob Baker
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Rob,

Good letter, I hope that you receive a prompt, responsive reply.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
One idea is to deduct the $200 for "not bringing your Airstream" and just stay at a local RV park. The $200 for 3~point hookups are actually cheaper than the $225 electric fees from the last few years.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Perspective

Every time I open the Blue Beret, I hope to see this on the inside of every cover. I am dissapointed every time. I am hopeful that like minded folks will eventually be in the position to envoke real change in this organization. I will keep plugging away and do my part at this end. As an officer of our unit, I will keep this always fresh and important. Perhaps this would be a good reflection for those running the club today!

"In the heart of these words is an entire life's dream. To those of you who find in the promise of these words your promise, I bequeath this creed... my dream belongs to you."

To place the great wide world at your doorstep for you who yearn to travel with all the comforts of home.

To provide a more satisfying, meaningful way of travel that offers complete travel independence, wherever and whenever you choose to go or stay.

To keep alive and make real an enduring promise of high adventure and faraway lands... of rediscovering old places and new interests.

To open a whole world of new experiences... a new dimension in enjoyment where travel adventure and good fellowship are your constant companions.

To encourage clubs and rallies that provide an endless source of friendships, travel fun and personal expressions.

To lead caravans wherever the four winds blow... over twinkling boulevards, across trackless deserts... to the traveled and untraveled corners of the earth.

To play some part in promoting international goodwill and understanding among the peoples of the world through person-to-person contact.

To refine and perfect our product by continuous travel-testing over the highways and byways of the world.

To strive endlessly to stir the venturesome spirit that moves you to follow a rainbow to its end... and thus make your travel dreams come true.

- Wally Byam

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
One idea is to deduct the $200 for "not bringing your Airstream" and just stay at a local RV park. The $200 for 3~point hookups are actually cheaper than the $225 electric fees from the last few years.

The deduct is only $100 so staying off site and paying camping elsewhere is not a viable option. Even staying off site for free would make this rally more expensive than normal 3 amp parking.. The winners are the 30 amp group who are saving about $45.00

Rick 1602
RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
On page 19 of the August issue of the Blue Beret, it states the deduct is $200.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
There needs to be more flexibility in the rally set-up. Those who would prefer minimal service should have it a a reduce price. Those who want full hook-ups should also get their way, but pay accordingly for the extra services.

Cable TV and wifi should also be offered for an appropriate additional cost. Kids and young people want these things, not arts and crafts. The rally organizers need to get with the times.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote