Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #21
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I will be going....

I will be going to Gillette next year. I believe the cost is too high, but the fun that I have at International out weighs the cost aspect for me. I like to meet new friends, see old friends again, and just have a good time. But even more than that I love to explore the areas around the rally sites! Bozeman was unlimited with the area to explore. Madison had a great downtown area, Gillette has Devils Tower and more.

As far as the childrens activities, I have a couple of friends that had children that went to the activities, and they had some nice things for them to do. They went to a waterpark, Caves, the Zoo, and other things, all paid by the WBCCI, which I think is great! They cant get rid of the youth activites. However, I thought it was great when I went to go register in the main building at Madison, and asked if I was youth, I laughed, and said thanks, but Im not youth!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
On page 19 of the August issue of the Blue Beret, it states the deduct is $200.

I have the App. form I picked up at Madison in front of me. Says " Not bringing Airstream DEDUCT $100."

So this brings up the question, which is it? or have they changed it?

Haven't seen the BB yet. Wish they would put it on line

We will miss seeing our friends next year

Rick Davis
PP VAC
RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I have the App. form I picked up at Madison in front of me. Says " Not bringing Airstream DEDUCT $100."

So this brings up the question, which is it? or have they changed it?

Haven't seen the BB yet. Wish they would put it on line

We will miss seeing our friends next year

Rick Davis
PP VAC
Here is the rally registration form from the web site.

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rally Registration Form 2010.pdf (94.0 KB, 101 views)
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Here is the rally registration form from the web site.

Bill
Obviously they have changed it, or the first form was misprinted. Guess I better keep that form to show I am not losing it, yet.

$200 is better, but it still does not change the fact that the rally for 2 after deducting the $200 is still more than the 3 amp fee of $270 in Madison.
Must be buying something mighty expensive out there.

Rick
Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have never attended one of the Good Sam's "The Rally" but the cost for their 2010 Rally in Louisville, KY are as follows:

The Rally: Information

"Prices for July 22 - 25, 2010 *
2 adults dry camping - only $179.00
1 adult dry camping - only $139.00
2 adults 30-amp electrical hookup - $359.00
1 adult 30-amp electrical hookup - $319.00
(These prices include all Rally activities as well as your RV parking.)
* Until April 15
Passport Price
$69.00 per person for July 21 - 25, 2010
(The Passport option is for rally attendees that want to attend all rally activities, including entertainment and seminars, but will be parking their RV off site.)"

This rally attracted a ton of attendees this year and is expected to be well attended next year. They are planning 30 seminars per day, not for the entire rally. There is a free children's program for ages 6-17 and this program last all day each day to free up the adults to attend the seminars.

The one thing that always puzzles me is that the cost are much less, most of the details are handled by professional event planners, and for this year, the entertainment included The Osmund Brothers (without Donnie and Marie), Rita Coolidge, and Neil Sadaka. In past years, Suzanne Summers was one of the headliners.

With this caliber of entertainment, why does a WBCCI rally have to cost so much more than the Good Sam's Rally? I realize that The Rally last fewer days, but there is a big difference in the caliber of activities than the WBCCI rally. Also, why must the WBCCI rally be put on by volunteers? Why not forgo the 5 week program for volunteers and put that money toward a higher level of experience? I think there would be more attendees if the WBCCI would "kick it up a notch".
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #26

1975 25' Caravanner
Milwaukie , Oregon
The fee seems too high. These should be a little more kid friendly. Do not think we will be going!
Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Here is a cost break down for the Escapees rally this year in Sedalia, Mo.
2 persons per trailer

6 nights full hookups and all costs for the 5 day rally $230.
6 nights no hookups $145.
1 day walk in per person $20
5 day walk in per person $45

I did not attend this rally
I have attended 2 others. The seminars etc. were great
The vendors were excellent and well represented. They had both an inside and outside vendor section. Far better in the vendor department than WBCCI has ever been.
Escapees probably did have an advantage because both the rallies I went to were in Goshen , IN which is in the middle of RV country.
I do not remember what the evening programs were. The fairgrounds were not air conditioned so you probably wouldn’t want to wear your suit.
Looking at it on a per day basis with full hookups it is about $30 per day less than Gillette

I seem to remember that either Good Sam or FMCA (maybe both) have used the Camplex. Would be interesting to look at those costs
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
One of the reasons I joined the WBCCI last year was to attend the International in Madison. I bit the bullet on the full hookups with the idea that it might be a once in a lifetime experience.
It was such a positive experience that we came away with the feeling we would go to 2011 meet in Southern Illinois. Gillette seemed just too far away.
Now it seems Gillette is just plain out of reach. If the trend continues it’s entirely possible that Madison will indeed be a once in a lifetime experience.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I was told they had over 400 register at Madison for the 2010 International. Some how I find it hard to believe that 400 of 901 trailers registered on the spot for the following year.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I was told they had over 400 register at Madison for the 2010 International. Some how I find it hard to believe that 400 of 901 trailers registered on the spot for the following year.
I don't find it hard to believe. When we arrived in Salem in 2006 on June 26, two days before the official opening date, there were over 600 of the eventual 900 or so already registered. The 400 is probably mostly made up of the "necessary" early workers.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:51 AM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Just my prediction... The least attended in history and the International that actually does sink the ship.
Not sure why it matters to me, because I won't be going even if it was free. A suggestion to anyone that puts on the International: Have a ribbon for "second timers" and ring a bell for that. Getting people to come once is easy, the second times the charm.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Wow, 3-4 hour working shifts for the volunteers. We were volunteers working the front entrance at Madison and I can tell you that many of those volunteers were there by 7AM and did not leave until the gate closed that evening. Didn't matter if it was raining, hot, or freezing cold they were there to make your arrival a pleasant event.

Sure, many of them were there early but keep in mind, they didn't have water or electric connections because they were the ones laying the lines.

The volunteers working the electric and water committees are very experienced workers who know what they are doing. They don't just show up and start laying water or electric lines. There is a lot of planning that goes into it. Ever listen to you CB and notice how many times these workers are called out even into the evening hours?

There several committees starving for volunteers this year at Madison. The volunteers is what makes this ship float. Take away the volunteers and you take away this organization.

As far as free meals the breakfast was pancakes for 3 days. Big deal. There was a volunteer "Thank You" dinner and each volunteer paid $2 each for a brat hot dog. We're talking about those volunteers who responded to your calls for assistance when someone couldn't read their program book to see when an event was scheduled, or your a/c went off, or you had a full black holding tank and didn't know what to do.

Nothing was free at Madison. I have heard the City charged for everything. The local Musicans Union wanted a large amount of money just to move a panio. There are members who could tell other stories of just how expensive things were at Madison. There was no "free" lunch.

We attend the International because we enjoy being around other Airstreamers. You get out of the Rally what you put into it. I don't mean to hour anyones feelings or step on toes but you don't just show up at a Rally and put on a program. It takes a lot of work and engery from who else, the volunteers.

I know that I have left out a lot of other committees who put in many hours to make everything as pleasant for everone.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It's not the pancakes, it's the dough $$$

It's not the pancakes, it's the dough. $$$

Hi Gayle, Hi Joe! It's Carol your Bozeman neighbor.

I think the volunteerism in WBCCI is great but it does come with a cost to the club. You know that it's less expensive to buy off the rack than to assemble garments yourself or to buy linens on sale than to buy yard goods, the same might be true of a DIY International Rally. We may have to sacrifice our giving "free" for the purposes of saving the club money and being shrewd and finding less expensive, more cost effective alternatives. Some of the rally fairgrounds and convention sites actually had full hookups. Utilizing appropriate facilities could eliminate such large scale and very early parking and save more dough than just pancake flour.

The fee schedule past was:
$125.00 each person 2= $250.00
$45.00 Airstream $45.00
$60.00 children 2 $120.00
Then $255.00 for elec $255.00

For early workers add $2.00 option if they elect to have brats at th picnic.

And here is the schedule:

June 11th temporary parking for early workers
June 14th special prerally day, flag day
pump out June 15/16/17
June 15th is another 1st parking day band arrives
June 16 pancakes oficially start Tues-Sat with other foods and beverages no doubt
June 17th the PIPs arrive-to do what?
both tank pump out 18/19/20(Thurs/Fri/Sat)
June 18th ham radio and teen queens arrive-need more pancakes, region officers prerally final banquet
June 19th region officers caravan arrives-it appears they arrive a day late for the banquet???
June 20th sat caravan leaders arrive-need more pancakes
June 21st early workers pay $2.00 for brat picnic tickets to be purchased while eating the pancakes
June 22nd International Presidents Reception/Dinner for key dignataries by invitation only--good thing they arrived far in advance to rest up for dinner
June 23rd unit presidents and caravans arrive, region past presidents luncheon and tram service begins
June 24th IBT seminar open to all members held-but before the start of member rally days
June 25th begins rally parking and registration next day
June 26th 1st day of registration but IBT meeting is held from 8:30-4:00 so when does one register?
June 27th unit presidents appreciation dinner

OK and about now the general population starts to show up
For what they pay listed in the fee schedule, the same as, the many many special parking members (a multitude of several hundreds??) and have stayed up to 16 additional days.

I believe charging everyone for electricity in the future at the Internationals is a way to recoop some costs and add revenue. The early workers do have electricity and pumpouts before the general membership arrives. I have gone to three Internationals and never chosen to pay for more than the 3amp service and not because I would not have liked to have had 30 amp but to keep the costs down. I could not even consider the price they elect to charge now.

If you would like to see just how much WBCCI has gone into the red you can read it on Save Wally. Note that the amount in this heading is only the beginning, read more:

FAILURE TO LEAD: -$44,202.00 in the RED (Part I)

For another early worker's account of the activities before general parking, click here:

WBCCI-Airstream-Rally-at-Madison--Wisconsin

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
When I retire and can take a whole month off, that is what I am doing. Talk about getting your dollars worth.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Frank, I am not sure how early worker works but I think it is very much like becoming a candidate from the nominating committee. You must be called by the committee chairman to be accepted as an early worker.

Myself though I inquired about helping my questions were never replied to. In the BB you are asked to send in a request to help and then you are to be contacted if your help is needed...

NETWORK NOW

(Course I wanted to be a woman parker, that may have been WAY over the top! But hey my arms work just like the guys, just watch me flag or motion.)

photography
Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I wanted to be a woman parker, that may have been WAY over the top!
Perhaps it was a liability issue. But I know only one Airstream at a time and absolutely no racing to their mark in the grass!!!! (Sorry, but my poodle skirt is at the cleaners.)

photography
Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
wow, thats all i have to say. don't think we will be going to any of these when we get our tt and join. thats sad. too bad.

Outlaw
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #38
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
I have never attended one of the Good Sam's "The Rally" but the cost for their 2010 Rally in Louisville, KY are as follows:

The Rally: Information

Way better deal we should contact them and see if we can get an Airsream parking area.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #39
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Being more centrally located in KY it would save a ton of gas and time to get there for many folks.

Call it an Air Forums annual rally if the WBCCI doesn't sanction it.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
I am foregoing the expensive wbcci international rally for the new TAC club rally WBBB.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote