Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
2010 International newbie ?'s

Hi all,

Putting aside the 1300 mile trek to get there and the $480.00 fee. (Yeeouch)

Mrs. Goin and I are considering going anyway. We want to attend at least one International. We have accepted it'll cost two weeks of precious vacation time and a satchel of loot for fee's, fuel, food, beer and other essentials.

What do you past rally pros suggest we do once we get there? We plan on staying the whole time.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Hi all,

Putting aside the 1300 mile trek to get there and the $480.00 fee. (Yeeouch)

Mrs. Goin and I are considering going anyway. We want to attend at least one International. We have accepted it'll cost two weeks of precious vacation time and a satchel of loot for fee's, fuel, food, beer and other essentials.

What do you past rally pros suggest we do once we get there? We plan on staying the whole time.
Milo,

We are not an international rally pro, we have only been twice, 2006 in Salem and 2008 in Bozeman. But, for what it is worth, here are my thoughts: At Salem, we arrived on Sunday, June 24 because we wanted to participate in the VAC parade on Monday, June 25 and we stayed until Thursday, July 5. Because it was our first time and because of the unseasonable hot weather, we did not attend many of the activities, just trying to find our way around. As the rally progressed, more and more people left, I will post a picture later of our area the morning of July 5. Utilities were shut off early on July 5.

At Bozeman, we arrived on Thursday, June 26 for the VAC parade on June 27 and stayed until Wednesday, July 2 (we left that day and went to Glacier and then home by July 8. We did participate in more of the activities in Bozeman and attended the VAC meetings as well.

As I have stated before, this is a business meeting with many seminars. The major evening entertainment at Salem was the Letterman and at Bozeman was Wylie and the Wild West. Both put on a good show, if, of course, you like that type of music, which we do.

We set up a caravan to Bozeman, with stops in Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. We plan on doing a similiar caravan for Gillette, with a different itinerary of course and you and Mrs. are welcome to come along. I plan on actually leading the caravan this time, since I do not expect the same preparation problems we had in 2008 (ie, the Liner is farther along its restoration process).

SYDTR,

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Bill,
Thanks for the info and invite.

Still curious about what type of seminars and what's the social activity both formal and informal?

I also wonder what the attraction that keeps you going back?

Milo

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Bill,
Thanks for the info and invite.

Still curious about what type of seminars and what's the social activity both formal and informal?

I also wonder what the attraction that keeps you going back?

Milo
Milo,

The only seminars we attended were the VAC seminars put on by Fred Coldwell on Airstream history. The preliminary rally schedule will be online as the date approaches. From memory, a lot are management type, ie putting on a caravan, rally and how to be an effective unit officer. There was a geocatching seminar in Bozeman and I think one planned for Gillette, also some on digital photography, technology (computers, cell phone apps, etc) (Leo Garvey taught one I believe).

Other than now being the VAC quartermaster, it is meeting and seeing again our internet friends who are only words on a screen and being with the friends we have met before. Also the chance to see a section of the country we have not been to some time.

Sometimes it is the journey and not necessarily the destination.

Let me know the next time you are down here and I will loan you a past rally booklet.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Salem was our first. It was fun to see all the trailers and meet new people. We left on July 4 before the grand finale in the evening. We had no desire to see the parade and then the singing act. We ended up spending the evening parked in an RV park on the Rogue river (very nice) watching the tubers go by.

We will probably go to Gillette if only to take my wife to Mt. Rushmore.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2010 International newbie ?'s

My recommendations for First Timer's to the International Rally would include:
  • Be sure to register as soon as possible after you are parked so that you can get your program book and other miscellaneous items. Don't forget to be prepared for your First Timer's Photo and Fanfare!
  • There are a number of seminars that are often offered at International Rallys that are great for First Timer's:
    • Seminar for New International Attendees (First Timer's Seminar)
    • Physics of Towing with Don Grayson
    • Hitch-Up Seminar by the Free Wheelers
    • Hints & Tips to Keep Your Airstream Interior Like New with Arlene Fowler
    • History of Airstream Trailers with Fred Coldwell
    • Vendor Seminars (determine according to your equipment or something that you may be considering for purchase):
      • ZipDee Awnings and Related Products
      • Blue Ox Towing Systems
      • Hensley Towing Systems
      • Reese Towing Systems
      • Ever-Pure Water Purification Systems
  • Please approach this recommendation with an open mind. The opening ceremonies is something that you should see at least once. There will be generous supplies of Pomp and Circumstance, but it is memorable and quite a production. This is also often the night when door prizes are given away -- and you must be present to win if your number is drawn.
  • The WBCCI Band entertains at one of the evening programs. I always enjoy this evening -- I am a bit biased as several of my good friends are high school band directors.
  • It has been a few years since Dr. Holman has presented his seminar, "My Father's Airstream", but if it is offered it is well worth attending. Dr. Holman's father built his Airstream in 1936 from plans sold by Wally Byam. When Dr. Holman attends to present this seminar, he is usually in attendance with this very trailer -- the trailer is a "must see" during the Vintage Airstream Club Open House.
The Rally Program will also give you a number of other ideas for seminars to attend as well as other activities. Not all of the seminars that I have mentioned are offered at every Intrnational, but over the years have been repeated with some frequency.

I hope that you enjoy your first International Rally as much as I did mine -- I have only missed three since 1998.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Photo as promised. July 5, 2006. We were parked at the end of a row. The back end of the Safari is to the right.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0998.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	84660  
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Photo as promised. July 5, 2006. We were parked at the end of a row. The back end of the Safari is to the right.

Bill
Wow!

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Overlander made some great suggestions. Bozeman was our first and Madison the 2nd one that we have attended. This year we were early workers and enjoyed ever minute of it. Both of us worked on more than 2 committees each this year. Just being around fellow Airstreamer and enjoying the fellowship is worth it to us. We have pre-registered for Gillette and looking forward to the trip.

Get involved and you will enjoy it more.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Milo - Jan and I are planning to attend in 2010 as well. I spent a few days in Madison and met lots of great people. I did a few of the seminars, sat in on the VAC board meeting and was the delegate for our unit. I spent a lot of time in the VAC area. I'm sure PeeWee will be there again, we will have fun.

I'll bring the booklet from Madison to Quartzsite so you can see the variety of events at the International.

We plan on traveling 3 days to get to the International with overnights in Albuquerque and Denver. Hopefully we can get a few others along for the ride. I will post more next year.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Great Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
My recommendations for First Timer's to the International Rally would include:
  • Be sure to register as soon as possible after you are parked so that you can get your program book and other miscellaneous items. Don't forget to be prepared for your First Timer's Photo and Fanfare!
  • There are a number of seminars that are often offered at International Rallys that are great for First Timer's:
    • Seminar for New International Attendees (First Timer's Seminar)
    • Physics of Towing with Don Grayson
    • Hitch-Up Seminar by the Free Wheelers
    • Hints & Tips to Keep Your Airstream Interior Like New with Arlene Fowler
    • History of Airstream Trailers with Fred Coldwell
    • Vendor Seminars (determine according to your equipment or something that you may be considering for purchase):
      • ZipDee Awnings and Related Products
      • Blue Ox Towing Systems
      • Hensley Towing Systems
      • Reese Towing Systems
      • Ever-Pure Water Purification Systems
  • Please approach this recommendation with an open mind. The opening ceremonies is something that you should see at least once. There will be generous supplies of Pomp and Circumstance, but it is memorable and quite a production. This is also often the night when door prizes are given away -- and you must be present to win if your number is drawn.
  • The WBCCI Band entertains at one of the evening programs. I always enjoy this evening -- I am a bit biased as several of my good friends are high school band directors.
  • It has been a few years since Dr. Holman has presented his seminar, "My Father's Airstream", but if it is offered it is well worth attending. Dr. Holman's father built his Airstream in 1936 from plans sold by Wally Byam. When Dr. Holman attends to present this seminar, he is usually in attendance with this very trailer -- the trailer is a "must see" during the Vintage Airstream Club Open House.
The Rally Program will also give you a number of other ideas for seminars to attend as well as other activities. Not all of the seminars that I have mentioned are offered at every Intrnational, but over the years have been repeated with some frequency.

I hope that you enjoy your first International Rally as much as I did mine -- I have only missed three since 1998.

Kevin
Kevin has said it all, this from a 10x International attendee

59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote