Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
2009 International -- Madison, WI

I was not able to find a thread for the 2009 WBCCI International Rally in Madison, WI so I started a new thread. Moderators... if a thread already exists please add this post to the existing thread. If not... now we have a thread to bounce around ideas and start planning for the rally.

My wife and I are definitely interested in attending the International in Madison. If possible we'll plan to be part of a caravan even if it's a small caravan.

So post your thoughts. What are you planning to see or do? Where are you going before or after the rally?

I checked the temperature for Madison for the last week and it makes me think you might get by with just rally electric. Is 30A necessary?

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We're "IN"!

We are planning on going to Madison! We will drive out to the rally with "Birdie" (I hope!) then fly home after the rally and return two weeks later for the EAA Airshow at Oshkosh...thinking of a mini-forum rally or something w/other like minded airplane-loving folks. Any takers?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Count me in for Madison! I am thinking that this may be the year we spring the several hundred for 30 amp. We are desert dwellers and 90 degree temperatures are nothing for us as long as the humidity is low. I grew up in Wisconsin and I remember the humidity being higher and so we are not physically prepared for high temps AND humidity.
We have family there so we will be spending some time with them as well as whooping it up with the rest of the VAC campers.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thumbs up 2009 International -- Madison, WI

I pre-registered for Madison while at the International Rally in Bozeman. There was no question in my mind about the 30-AMP as it will be a MUST for me. For seven years, I lived 60 miles from the Rally site in Madison and the humidity will likely equal the temperature during the Rally period.

There is much to see and do around and near Madison including:
  • Mineral Point, WI: Approximately 30 miles to the West of Madison, you will find this historical town that is popular with antiquers as well as history buffs. Shake Rag Street is a must see for the history buff. The Pointer Cafe features a local favorite on their menu -- Cornish Pasty.
  • Galena, IL: Approximately 90 miles to the West/Southwest of Madison, you will find this historical town that is popular with antiquers as well as history buffs. The many victorian homes and mansions are must see as well as President Grant's home.
  • Dubuque, IA: Approximately 90 miles to the West/Southwest of Madison, you will find this historical river city with something for nearly everyone. Paddle Wheeler cruises of the Mississippi River are one of my favorite attractions -- most of these feature entertainment and/or meals. There is also a wonderful Mississippi River Museum located near the Ice Harbor.
  • Dickeyville, WI: Approximately 80 miles to the West/Southwest of Madison, you will find this historical small town. Its most memorable attraction is the Grotto located along US Highway 61.
  • Lancaster, WI: Approximately 90 miles to the West/Northwest of Madison, you will find this historical town that is also the county seat of Grant County. The restored Victorian courthouse with its "copper dome" is a must see. There is also a rather large Amish settlement along County Highway D between Lancaster and Livingston.
  • Fennimore, WI: Approximately 90 miles West of Madison, you will find this interesting small town. The railroad museum in the town's old depot is a must see (located on US Highway 61). The Cheese Factory on the South Side of town located on US 61 has some excellent local cheeses. The Silent Woman Restaurant is known for excellent food, pleasant atmosphere, and good service.
  • Montfort, WI: Approximately 60 miles West of Madison, you will find this interesting small town. Just West of town, you will see one of the regions large Wind Power generation installations. You will also find a local favorite -- Rural Route One Popcorn -- their store and gift shop is found along US Highway 18 -- they feature many flavors of locally grown popcorn.
  • Dodgeville, WI: Approximately 70 miles to the West of Madison, you will find this interesting town. This town is home to Lands End, and there is an outlet store located in town as well. Governor Dodge State Park is an interesting attraction as well.
  • Spring Green, WI: Located about 80 miles to thw West/Northwest of Madison you will find this interesting small town. House on the Rock is a near must see for anyone interested in dolls or Victorian era music machines or electrical devices. Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin is also found just outside of town. American Players Theater also offers performances throughout the summer.
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI: Approximately 90 miles West/Northwest of Madison, you will find this popular tourist attraction. While Lake Delton was a victim of this year's flooding, there should still be much to see an do in the Dells.
  • Dyersville, IA: Approximately 135 miles West/Southwest of Madison, you will find the farm where the Movie Field of Dreams was filmed. The farm is operated as a tourist attraction and is a must see for the baseball enthusiast.
The above are just a few of the attractions to the West of Madison. These are some of the places where I took my guests while living near Madison.

For those looking for a pleasant campground an easy 85 mile drive from Madison, the Rustic Barn Campground in Dickeyville is one of my favorites, and offers a discount to WBCCI members. This is a rather modest sized campground so reservations will likely be a must. Just off of US Highway 151 you will have a direct path to Madison via US 151 which merges with US Highway 18 and later becomes the Beltline around Madison (the most likely route to follow to the International Rally site).

Kevin
Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Nice work. I remember the Dells as a kid. Didn't care for them back then because I was a kid - Now looking forward to rediscovering them.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Great Stuff... Keep the Ideas Flowing

Plenty of good information here and we've got a year to go. My wife and I have started planning already and look forward to hearing more good ideas/comments.

We've decided to pay for 30A electric. I'd rather pay and not need it versus wish I had it. At a minimum, 30A will be good for running the microwave, toaster, etc.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
If you have kids, or are a kid at heart, Circus World in Baraboo (sp?), WI is a really neat place to go.

Dave
Old 07-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
OK, I'm in. I can not miss a International that is "in my back yard". Madison not far at all. I will start looking for the paper work to get the funds together.....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Does anyone know:

• if pets are allowed in the vintage area?
  • if 30 amp is available in all parking areas inlcuding vintage or dog/grass?
  • if there a limited number of 30 amp spots?
Based on the parking preference choices, the 2009 International registration form only "suggests" that possibly pets are excluded from all areas except dog/grass parking . The glossy 12-page brochure doesn't mention any restrictions except leashes outside of the Airstream and scoop your pet's poopies (which everyone should do without having to be told ). So what's the real scoop?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
HOLY CRAP $615.00 for the family?!?!?!!????!!
General or Vintage parking......???????
I have been accused of being handicapped......
Can I live with the humidity to save $255??????
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
It takes a lot of infrastructure to provide those 30 Amps.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Yikes. That's a bit steep. We are thinking of coming but first we need to decide which unit to join. Or none. Have to do more research.
Kevin, you forgot the Mustard Museum in Mt Horeb. Mount Horeb Mustard Museum and Mustard Store Only place I know of to find curry mustard. You've got to see the place it to believe it.
We'll drive up on a weekend just to stock up. Then we'll browse the antique mall around the corner. There are also 3 good antique malls in Madison to hit on the way back.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
I think we're planning to go.
Probably be in the cheap seats though.

I've heard enough good things about Madison that I'm not seeing a need to drive another couple hundred miles once there.

$255 buys a lot of electric eels, youch.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #14
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We are planning on going to Madison! We will drive out to the rally with "Birdie" (I hope!) then fly home after the rally and return two weeks later for the EAA Airshow at Oshkosh...thinking of a mini-forum rally or something w/other like minded airplane-loving folks. Any takers?

Shari
Hey, I like it!
I've always wanted to see the EAA Airshow!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2009 International -- Madison, WI

Greetings Subarfoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
  • if pets are allowed in the vintage area?
  • if 30 amp is available in all parking areas inlcuding vintage or dog/grass?
  • if there a limited number of 30 amp spots?
Pets are allowed in the Vintage section, and that is the one nice thing that has always been true -- pet owners have never been segregated within the Vintage parking area. When I pre-registered, I marked Vintage, dogs, and 30-AMP -- since I will be parading in with the VAC, I know that my parking will be within the Vintage section. You will, however, receive a park pass with a D that will be replaced with a C (at the VAC Pre-Rally) for Caravan to denote entry with the VAC via the parade.

Thirty-Amp electric has been available in each parking area except the generator section. This year, there was a double-row of 30-AMP followed by a double-row of 3-AMP within the Vintage section. In some of the other parking areas where individual arrivals (rather than caravans like Vintage) were parked there may have been a majority of rows with either 30-AMP or 3-AMP.

The 30-AMP spots at recent Internationals have been limited by a deadline for requesting the service that is several months before the rally. A waiting list has been available for those who decide later that they wish 30-AMP -- the waiting list receives preference when/if there are cancellations among those subscribed for 30-AMP.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Thanks Kevin! Your answers are most helpful as always.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I had a wild thought of maybe attending if its in Madison WI But for $600 bucks I wont even consider attending or joining
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Additional things to do

Here are a couple more things to add to the list". Both are good.
Milwaukee Zoo Welcome to Milwaukee County Zoo!
Fireside Dinner Theatre, Ft Atkinson WI Fireside Dinner Theatre

JohnHD should know the Madison area well as it is his hometown.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #19
1977 24' Argosy Motorhome

1977 24' Argosy 24
Janesville , Wisconsin
As for weather,
Its pretty humid right at the moment, but a big storm front is going through...
What we say here in Wisconsin is "If you don't like the weather, wait a couple hours, it'll change" :-)
Honestly though this time of year is usually hot and humid, iWe've actually had a pretty cool summer compared to normal.

-Matt
schaapveld4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I had a wild thought of maybe attending if its in Madison WI But for $600 bucks I wont even consider attending or joining
I wouldn't join WBCCI just for the International either.

I joined for the Vintage Club and also for being able to attend any of the many rallies.

When (if?) I retire, I would also like to go on several of the Caravans as well.