Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Looks as if they are packed in pretty tight!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue
I'm not a WBCCI member, and don't see where I can benefit (at this time in my life) by joining. But I am following this with some interest, sadness, anger and foreboding.

IMHO, WBCCI is an Airstream club. I agree that Ford Mustang clubs should be forced to have Volkswagens allowed in, and I see a parellel here.

However, I am fearful that when powerful people use their positions and influence to manipulate the environment around them (as well as the rules, timing and propaganda--oops, I mean information to the masses), there is always a chance that the end results of things put into motion will be different than what the masses expected. It seems to me that a little paranoia is not unwarranted.

Anytime I hear someone counseling "Just relax; everything will be OK", my early warning detectors go off in my head.

What a distraction this seems to be. What a division this seems to cause. What an amazing and saddening spectator sport.

As I think 2Air has implied, hospice may be the best hope for the masses to get the club back. Evolution at its best. But I personally hope not. WBCCI had said on it's website "The Wally Byam Caravan Club is now one of the largest clubs in trailering, and it is a remarkable tribute to Wally. It demonstrates once more, and in an excellent way, the effect he had upon those around him. Most men would have insisted upon controlling the club; Wally let his followers keep control." Maybe control can be regained.
Phil, (or is it Sue?) This is the most encouraging and nicest thing I have read in days. Thank you for your post, it is welcome balm. ahhhhh, better, take a comfortable breath, thanks.

Though some think many of the vocal are from under a rock they actually are between the rock and hard place.

As with so many disaster movies, the survivors start to turn on each other when the going gets really rough...

We just need to remember where the issue lies and who those people are we should be taking issue with. let's not pick each other off, we need every body, whatever your approach or Airstream product.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Keep the faith!

It's really a shame that some are leaving, or reluctant to join WBCCI just because a small group of mis-guided folks are trying to bring something up which was voted down by club members last year. If it comes up, it will be voted down again.

I don't know if the SOB MH issue is being pushed by people who are hard of hearing, or blind, or just don't understand what "no" means. But.......if they want to waste their time and effort, so be it. Let them. It will take little of my time and nearly no effort to vote "no" again.

It's too bad that Airstream stopped building motorhomes, but they did, and that's that.

'nuff said..........................
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #104
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am so glad that "unsubscribe" is an option for this thread....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Sure am glad I joined before learning that I joined a club that is having an identity and personality crisis. I read this article Here we go again...*-*Savewally.org and was struck by a feeling of remorse. If it were not for being a part of a great unit, the numbers would already be in the mail. What kind of reception would a class A SOB motor home recieve at a rally? Has there been any in the past as associate members?
I have heard that mirrored in a few places now that if motorhomes of other manufacturers were in attendence that the member's reception might not be favorable. But I don't think that really would be the case. I think our work is just to stop the constitutional changes that would end the single brand identity of our club.

I think I have heard of other manufactured RVs being asked to leave a WBCCI rally though. That is much different than one might expect on a local level rally. You have to have an Airstream to be a member then associate so I suspect they had an Airstream at home.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula
Chuck, the picture is from a '70's issue of Life magazine. When I get home tonight I'll dig it out and see what info was attached to the photo.

--dave
A proudly flying NEU flag in a sea of Airstreams. Love it!

It you don't mind, would you be able to tell me the month / year of this Life magazine? I'd like to see if I can find a copy for myself. Thanks.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #107
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
... I'd like to see if I can find a copy for myself. Thanks.
i may have a copy 'round here somewhere u can have, now weren't you gonna send me something?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #108

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
"I have heard that mirrored in a few places now that if motorhomes of other manufacturers were in attendence that the member's reception might not be favorable. But I don't think that really would be the case. I think our work is just to stop the constitutional changes that would end the single brand identity of our club." Quote by wheel interested.

Very well put, Carol. That says it all in two sentences.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #109
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Very Informative-entertaining Thread..

Some like this, some like that....

Can't ya all just get along....

We might join ya, if ya ever calm down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rally-field-full.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	55229   Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO STREAM'N.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	55230  

Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i may have a copy 'round here somewhere u can have, now weren't you gonna send me something?

cheers
2air'

YES! I was having trouble downloading the PDF, then I went to bed and forgot. I'll send it along tonight.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Jack, I would never do that. I have no complaints about what Thor does with travel trailers. I was actually impressed that they returned to the lines routes and released the poorly publicized Sport. (Nearly) lightweight rigid monocoque TT's is what Airstreams always were.

When Wally strayed from the concept he lent his name to a canned ham that did not carry the Airstream nameplate.

Even when Beatrice had ownership they created the Argosy and moved the entire manufacturing down the road a piece.
What? Now you don't like Argosy trailors either? Mine says Airstream on it too, came like that from the factory. I originally wanted a silver Airstream but now I'm hooked on paint, I personally think they have more character. Mind you that's just my lowly, nobody opinion.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
This photo is from pages 22-23 of the August 14, 1970 issue of Life:
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Thanks for the Karma guys but it wasn't needed as I really do love some pie. Chocolate Marangue is my second favorite.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #114
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Oh Yeah....

Literary Soaps...
Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
In Favor of SOB Motorhomes

I think that passing this motion would be great!!!

It would split the WBCCI into three clubs. The WWII generation can keep the remants of the WBCCI, the Vintage members could have their own club, and the working (non retired) non-vintage members could have their own club. Now everybody would be happy.

The boomer generation rocked the establishment in the late 60's and will do the same with the WBCCI once they assume the majority of leadership positions. Why wait another 10 to 15 years for the WWII generation to pass on? Let them have the WBCCI.

The younger generation should form a club based on rallies for the working person. The WBCCI is a club for the retired. As has been, always will be.
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
It you don't mind, would you be able to tell me the month / year of this Life magazine? I'd like to see if I can find a copy for myself. Thanks.
Life - 8/14/07 - pgs 22-23

"...only last month, for instance, more than 3,400 Airstream trailer owners wheeled their rigs into precise formation at their annual rally near Hershey, PA, forming, with their families, an instant city of 10,000. Airstream owner have long been considered the clubbiest of their kind...

...There is also a Golden Rule committe; two violations of the golden rule and a caravaneer is forever banished from the group."

Sounds like we need to break out the Golden Rule stick and beat the IBT over the head with it. And maybe some mamsy pamsys on this list.

You guys are sooo lucky it's not 1998 when flame wars would fly on the net. One out of line wimp-like comment would have you crying for your mommy with the backlash that would descend on the recipient.

Buck-up fellas. This is our leisure time we're fighting for here. Get in the game or go home.
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #117
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula
...Sounds like we need to break out the Golden Rule stick and beat the IBT over the head with it. And maybe some mamsy pamsys on this list...
forget the golden rule...

this is how club members handled folks who were outta line in the old testament...

click on the pic, u will notice wally is right there watching!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pietoss2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	55263  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #118
_

. , .
continuing on with pie...

this might work as a money raising event in bozeman...

using cow pies

or even for a membership drive!

i might even give up (temporarily) mal status and join a unit...

just to toss pie at the bobble heads!

the 2nd photos is a rare shot of leo taking a pie for the club...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pietoss1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	55264   Click image for larger version

Name:	pietoss3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	55265  

Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i might even give up (temporarily) mal status and join a unit...'
I costs a whole dollar for you to join the dc unit or 4 corners. 2air - i give away at least that much walking to the office most mornings.

i'll gladly throw in for you. one caveat - you'll be stuck in the Unit til the end of the year.
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #120
_

. , .
thanks for the offer, muni'

end of year is no problem, but will there be PIE!

cheers
2air'