Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
WOW! I feel so bad for you AS trailer owners. I gave up my WBBCI membership for 2008, but I might have to reinstate to fight this thing. There are other clubs for MH owners. Leave the AS trailer owners alone and quit screwing up their club. WBBCI is for Airstream owners period. I guess I can't blame them for traveling and getting paid for it from WBCCI. You trailer folks should make a motion to ban all MHs. Airstreams included.

bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #58
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
I will never understand the mean spirited action by a unit to bring the Motorhome issue back to the table, and in a last-minute and under-the-table method! Like it or not, they want it there way!
JB

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Buck your support along with Grace's against the SOB motion was appreciated and went far to further the knowlege that every Airstream motorhome owner was not looking to change the Airstream identity of the club. For that we all thank you.

I was sorry to learn you decided to leave WBCCI this year as you are the kind of people we need and enjoy to be members with.

The silent tragedy of all the IBT's irresponsibility is that they have pitted member against member and caused an undercurrent that is not easily healed.

All products made by Airstream are Airstreams and this IS the club for you and me and legions of others. They robbed us of our joy these past few years, but hold fast they DO NOT represent the spirit of WBCCI!

Do not count us down for the count or yourselves out, take time and then come back. We want you back!

We not only lost you two but we also lost Jim and Marianne Mickle also active in office in the WBCCI and Airstream motorhome owners. The IBT is so out of touch they do not even see what turmoil and fall-out they have created. I am so sorry. It never was a motorhome issue. Heavy casualties, and abuses have been rampant.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

White Lake , Michigan
Carol, thanks for the kind words. they are appreciated. I can't believe the controversy these folks like to stir up. The FMCA has three times the members and the IBT is constantly in touch with their membership. Course they don't fly flags and have special parking spots. We will reinstate to attend the convention in WI. and get rid of this motion. Leo didn't think they could get it together fast enough to present it at Bozeman.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Let's just hope this is someone just testing the waters

I still hold out hope that if someone is really thinking of doing this that in fact they are just testing the waters and will not move forward with this.

I'd feel a way lot better if someone were to come back and say "false alarm" though. Much better.

We can hope for that. We can also hope that if someone is thinking this that they have gotten wind of the angst it is already causing and will back away from it.

Barry
Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

White Lake , Michigan
I hope so
Old 02-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
Carol, thanks for the kind words. they are appreciated. I can't believe the controversy these folks like to stir up. The FMCA has three times the members and the IBT is constantly in touch with their membership. Course they don't fly flags and have special parking spots. We will reinstate to attend the convention in WI. and get rid of this motion. Leo didn't think they could get it together fast enough to present it at Bozeman.
It's a date Buck! Mighty glad to hear that!!!!

photography
Old 02-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
I don't understand what all the quitting is about. this issue has zero effect on the overall experience of being in the WBCCI - which is attending Unit events. to me it is a convenient (and false) excuse to quit the club.

it hardly gets discussed at our Unit events...ever. we had a mail in vote last spring. the tally was taken quietly by the officers and our Unit vote of NO SOBs was cast at Perry. it was the end of discussion at our Unit level.

the only time i ever see any discussion is on the boards. and frankly i enjoy it, albeit one sided. we never here someone who is pro SOB in the WBCCI chime in here or at any of the other boards.

call me offbeat but i enjoy the hell out of trying to solve the WBCCIs problem via my keyboard. this has provided the smallest bit of controversy in my day-to-day existence. everywhere else i go in my day-to-day i am required to be soooo PC that discussing anything beside the weather is treading in dangerous waters - exaggeration but i hope you get what i mean.

let these knuckle heads bring it. we'll send them packing to the Good Sam Club in no time.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Your unit sounds good. Lots of great units and members. But the folks at top are our ambassadors and the face to the club. How are they doing? What are they doing? What have they done for us lately? Your unit probably is solvent with their collection of dues. Where does everyone's $55.00 a year go? Sure most don't have a problem with that but we are funding the club to be our agents. Again, how are they doing? What are they doing to enhance your units experience? Or could your unit stand alone? Couldn't they all? Again, what are they doing at the top? Fostering self interests and killing morale isolated away from the pulse of the club. It is a big deal, they NEED to be hassled. They are the seive for losing members.

photography
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Your unit sounds good....Again, how are they doing? What are they doing to enhance your units experience?
All of my Units are AMAZING!. My main Unit is Watchung NJ Unit. In addition, I am an affiliate in the NY Metro and Washington DC Units. The camaraderie among the three Units is wonderful.

The hardest part about being in the club is getting to all of the Rally's. Between work and my two teenage (and very active) kids it's hard to make every event all year round.

Regarding my view of the top - these people have been at this game a looong time. To get to an International officer position takes no less than fifteen years of rising through the ranks. it seems they each want to leave some kind of lasting mark on the club - however misguided in a kind of Machiavellian in a way.

fortunately, those in the upper echelons today will not be there in a few years. we delivered a shot across the bow last summer at international by nominating Pete Daniel from the floor. oh we had the blue hairs and red coats in a tizzy. it was great. the IBT'er got the message that the winds of change are coming.

the next generation is making moves right now to elbow our way into the upper ranks. Until then we are going to have to continue to fend off really bad ideas that continue to emerge in the name of selfish ideals via Unit voting.

bottom line, if everyone looking for change quits, change will never occur. and if good people with good ideas continue to be MALs, their voice cannot be heard at a Unit level and they will NEVER effect real change.

The WBCCI has some real hero's. The Region 2 President Don McKelvey is excellent and is pushing things in the right direction. Barry H is on the slate to move into 3rd Veep spot. please vote for him in the upcoming elections. beside being a good guy, he actually pulls a trailer. And then there is Leo. I've never witnessed someone pour so much into making this club better. point being that the WBCCI has real hero's working hard right now.

Quitting?? Now??? i just don't get it.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #67
_

. , .
what if there is a party and NOONE came?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula
...we never here someone who is pro SOB in the WBCCI chime in here or at any of the other boards...
i'm on record from early on...

let EVERYONE and EVERYTHING in to the current club....

really, class a, popups, camper shells, tents, lean2z, umbrellas, backpackers and hobos...

my guess is that membership would continue to decline at the same rate, regardless...

and maybe even faster!

and that would be GREAT NEWS toward forming a new club...

with NO IBT (irritating bobblehead types) needed.

the basic problems have not changed and are typified in a response from muni' last year...

Quote:
...here is a quick and timely membership story - a good buddy and his wife just attended the Can Opener Rally and had the time of their life. The Rally ranked high as one of their best Airstream Rally experiences. The met a new friend who had owned his trailer for a week. They invited him over to the Daytona WBCCI Rally the next weekend. The new friend followed and was prac ticvally acosted upon arrival by the local WBCCI "membership chairmen". The MC told him that because this person did not have numbers 9on his rig that he was an insurance liability as was not really welcome at the Daytona event. The new Airstream felt bad about this and was gone from the Rally before daylight and has suggested he now probably never join the club.

This is a true story that happened a week ago and deserves it own thread. I've been sitting on it not to steal Howie's thunder should he ever get home and want to share the ordeal. This is a good example of why membership is dwindling. People don't want to put up with this bullsh-t when they are RVing. They want to go out, meet new friends, and have a good time....
-it is STILL all about getting power, keeping power and inflicting power on others...

-folks on the ibt career ladder get $$$MONEY$$$ to travel from the club...

-they wanna stay IN the club to feed their egos and continue to use club funds to do it...

and in the fourwinds-mandalay thread from last year on this topic came the PERFECT reply...

accidently, and from one of those real bobbbleheads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnzbernd
... the entire WBCCI organization ought not need to change how it does business to accommodate a few who can't figure it out!!
long live the wbcci.....whatever brand carpetbaggers club international!!!

take away the wasted CLUB FUNDING of ibt member/functions and then see the REAL future leaders appear.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
This non Airstream Moho crowd is a real pain in the neck. Fortunately the fun I have with the FCU outwieghs the misery these nitwits cause.

Sadly or gladly depending on your view. These folks won't be around too much longer and we'll be rid of these self centered short sighted people.
Hi, right now I have no interest in joining this club, what-so-ever; And I'm concerned that by the time these old fogies are out [one way or another] I will be too old myself to enjoy what could be something every Airstream owner would and should want to be a part of.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i'm on record from early on...let EVERYONE and EVERYTHING in to the current club....
2air...2shay.

i have also stated in this forum that the club needs to hire an outside consulting firm to help shed light on it's operations the effect they have on growing membership. there is nary a business man in the bunch at the IBT. I'm sure CRM is a foreign acronym to most in the upper ranks.

i've felt this way since the name change debacle. it really came to light though at this past mid-winter IBT meeting. I listened in to most of it. I heard all of the mundane calls to order and motions being presented. it sounded like the meeting was just dragging along.

then there was a break and larry huttle spoke - kind of his state of the company annual speech. he was incredibly upbeat. talking about global domination, new models, sales through the roof, special projects, TV placement, etc. in a word exciting. one would think that a club associated with this brand would be thriving in the same manner.

not. once larry was done speaking there was a call to order and back to the business at hand - in the most droll and boring manner you could imagine. the contrast between what the WBCCI - an Airstream club, and what the corporation is up to was night and day. stating the obvious, the club is not keeping up with the company in terms of the sizzle factor.

Whose fault is it? Where does the problem lie? Should the company have more of a hand in the clubs business? maybe. but then some may scream that they are meddling. The WBCCI is the quintessential old boys club. Until the IBT allows outside input from marketing and customer experience professionals the membership will continue to decline.

for me that is no big deal because i get everything i need and want from the club already - friendships and rallies. if it continues on the same course it's on now, it will still be here in 15 or 20 years when i'll be ready to retire and caravan.

will the WBCCI survive to the next generation? who even knows what the heck we'll be driving by then. personally, i'm bullish on the WBCCI being here for my kids if they are so inclined.

--dave
Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
I don't understand what all the quitting is about. this issue has zero effect on the overall experience of being in the WBCCI - which is attending Unit events. to me it is a convenient (and false) excuse to quit the club.

it hardly gets discussed at our Unit events...ever. we had a mail in vote last spring. the tally was taken quietly by the officers and our Unit vote of NO SOBs was cast at Perry. it was the end of discussion at our Unit level.

the only time i ever see any discussion is on the boards. and frankly i enjoy it, albeit one sided. we never here someone who is pro SOB in the WBCCI chime in here or at any of the other boards.

call me offbeat but i enjoy the hell out of trying to solve the WBCCIs problem via my keyboard. this has provided the smallest bit of controversy in my day-to-day existence. everywhere else i go in my day-to-day i am required to be soooo PC that discussing anything beside the weather is treading in dangerous waters - exaggeration but i hope you get what i mean.

let these knuckle heads bring it. we'll send them packing to the Good Sam Club in no time.
I couldn't disagree more. We have enough stress in our jobs that we don't need it in our hobby. Fighting the Name Change in 2006 was tiring, but worthwhile. Fighting the SOB MH issue in 2007 became too much. We survived 2006 because all of our units came together to reaffirm that Wally needed to remain in the club name.

2007 was a different case. We ended up changing our primary unit for 2008 because of this issue. When we attended the 2007 rally where the vote was held, we came to understand that we viewed things very differently than the rest of our unit. They all bought the "we don't want to vote our friends out of the club" story that was delivered loud and clear in the Blue Beret (with no opposing opinion allowed in the Blue Beret, I might add). We didn't buy that story. After that rally, we ended up seeing ourselves as very different from the rest of the unit, who are generally old enough to be our parents. Yet just a year before we were inspired by these same people as we could only hope to be as active when we get to their age.

But not all was good with our other units either. After having opinions and counter opinions about the SOB MH issue published in the Unit Newletter, things got a bit too personal. We almost avoided a rally for fear of being parked next to someone whose rebuttal to something I wrote got a little too personal.

We also know a couple of Airstream Motorhome owners (who were opposed to SOB MH's being admitted into WBCCI) who left the club because this issue came to be "MH vs. trailer" rather than "Airstream vs. SOB". And this never would have become an issue if the IBT hadn't brought this issue forward in the first place.

So, YES, these IBT inspired, top down, issues do real damage at the unit level. That damage can and does impede attempts to "just enjoy the local unit".

And let me add, that most everyone we have met in the club (and all three of our units) is nice, but we just want to be around others that think like us (more or less).

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote