Old 07-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #43

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think that if the organization continues to contract or the pool of "volunteers" shrink, the option of hosting this at one of the mega campgrounds might become more of a reality. It will be interesting to watch as the years pass by. From my perspective it's not totally out of the picture.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #44
Rivet Master

I like the idea of an National Forums Rally...art a destination location say at Fort Wilderness, Disney in August 2008. (August 3 through August 17) Other ideas would be:
NYC, Lakewood CG, Yellowstone, Branson (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...28724.htmlcome)
Come when you can, leave when you want, play where you want, reserve your own spots.

Just low key. walk around in the evening (come-on we all do the after dinner stroll around the campground) adn actually socialize w/ each other. visit in the evening or late morn before going to the attractions, parks or pools. Invite a friend or two over to your campsite for campfire, cocktails or s'mores. Invite your friends or family to camp w/ you on your "vacation".

Old 07-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #45
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
I personally would really hate to see the club in splinter groups camped somewhere outside the rally area. You not only miss the "goosebump" feeling of seeing so many Airstreams in one place, but also miss opportunity to meet/mingle with those from so many different parts of our great country. It never ceases to amaze me how different we can be, but still be basically the same. Perry was my first rally, but I'm still telling the "folks back home" about people I met and grew close enough to exchange periodic e-mails. I've just got to figure out a way to infiltrate the VAC group without my unit yet meeting the 25 year requirement. My observation was they are doing a lot of what I envisioned being done at a rally of this type. I'm aligning pretty close with both 65 GT and 2air in that I feel we need to work together to improve our club experience, but also plan other Airstream events for all Airsteam/Argosy owners whether or not they are members of WBCCI.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #46

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohillgrish
I personally would really hate to see the club in splinter groups camped somewhere outside the rally area.I'm aligning pretty close with both 65 GT and 2air in that I feel we need to work together to improve our club experience, but also plan other Airstream events for all Airsteam/Argosy owners whether or not they are members of WBCCI.
I don't believe there is going to be a mass exit from being on the site campgrounds....but the fact that the practice of camping in private campgrounds near the sites has been going on for some time now. I'm sure it will never amount to a big issue because most of the rally locations don't have that many private parks on their near perimeter that can make a significant dent. The Springfield Mo. rally might have been the one with the most potential since Branson was only 35 miles away and the camping site was nowhere near the exhibition center.

I think the addition of power has probably stemmed some of that movement and may have helped keep folks coming to the Intl. But there is something to be said about arriving at a private campground, getting your site promptly, maybe having some shade and some of the niceities that camping out in a field can't give you.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #47
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
It will be interesting to watch as the years pass by. From my perspective it's not totally out of the picture.
Nor should it be. There is no reason us avid campers here on the forums cant manage to throw together a national rally.

Realistically i think a couple hundred trailers at most is all we would see at such an event.

Another forum i read, Sport-touring.net, has been having annual national rallys for a number of years now. They always seem to be a big success and for the most part come off without a hitch.

Considering that most of us are working stiffs, it is going to be hard to get a really big turn out for a national gathering. That is why a central location is important, imo. I wont spend three days driving to turn around and come back home after five days.

It would be nice to see this come together at some point in the future.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #48

Fenton , Missouri
For those of us who have the time, the Branson rally this fall is really the closest we can come to gathering and accomodating a large crowd. According to Steve who is organizing this, if we fill our current campground (Compton Ridge North), we could move over to the much larger (Compton Ridge Main) which has over 350 sites. It also has a large indoor rally building and a very large covered picnic area. You have indoor swiming available at the campground lots of hookups, attractions galore in the area.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #49
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
I agree with Jack on the Branson rally. Last time I checked we had 17 signed up. A good number, but would be nice if we could double that.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohillgrish
I've just got to figure out a way to infiltrate the VAC group without my unit yet meeting the 25 year requirement. My observation was they are doing a lot of what I envisioned being done at a rally of this type.
No problem! You can join VAC as an associate member without having a vintage unit. For that matter, most if not all VAC rallies are buddy rallies and you can get in without an Airstream. One VAC rally a few years ago, a young couple showed up on a Vespa motor scooter, tent camping! They were warmly welcomed. (I wouldn't be surprised if they have an Airstream by now.)
Old 07-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
The folks that were hosting the VAC get together at Hazelmere in BC on the July 6th weekend were extremely approachable and open to have us join them. I must say that I was impressed with how friendly Iian was and willing to accommodate us in any way he could. I was embarrassed that we couldn't attend after all due to a prior commitment. I will certainly do my best to get to their next function based on this past experience.

I suspect that like our car runs, the fact that someone shows up with a newer vehicle is not a problem for 99.9% of the people and for the few that it is they are generally the ones who are looked at somewhat askance as they are the ones with the problem, not the folks with the newer vehicle. They are just there to have fun and their vehicle will be old soon enough. It's really not about the cars other than that common interest that got us all there to start with - but it is all about the people, the camaraderie, and building of good times.

Am I in trouble again?

Barry

Barry
Old 07-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #52
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
I like the idea of an National Forums Rally...art a destination location say at Fort Wilderness, Disney in August 2008. (August 3 through August 17) Other ideas would be:
NYC, Lakewood CG, Yellowstone, Branson (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...28724.htmlcome)
Come when you can, leave when you want, play where you want, reserve your own spots.
I can tell you right now, there is no one on this forum that would be signed up quicker than my family for a forum rally at Fr. Wilderness! That's no surprise to anyone I'm sure. But the dates would have to be adjusted. My kids start school the first week in August and my wife has pre-planning the last week in July...we have a modified year round school calendar. But they are out of school the Friday before Memorial Day. Because of the heat and rain in July, I would definitely recommend mid-June.

Other locations mentioned would also be of interest...believe it or not, I'd like my kids to see something other than Disney World.

As far as camping off site for the International, I agree that that shouldn't be the goal. You miss a lot when you aren't among the activities that go on around the official functions. The International hosts the business functions of the Club and they are very important. I have attended many conferences that had "down time" for social events...often those events were part of the official functions of the conference. I don't see that the International should be any different. I do still contend that five weeks to set up a nine day rally seems to be highly inefficient.

I was totally unaware of the kids' programs at the International this year...shame on the International for not promoting them. Had they promoted them I might have convinced my wife to reschedule our summer commitments and for us to attend since the International was so close to our home (we live less than 150 miles from Perry).

It would be nice to either revamp the seminars/activities or to add an alternative slate of programs for those newer members that aren't into some of the curriculum that has typically been offered in the past. For example, computer classes. These are important for the computer newbies, but there are so many introductory computer courses offered as continuing education classes through junior colleges and high schools that this could almost be irrelevant today. Knitting: from what my mom tells me, any yarn store offers knitting classes to increase their customer base so these classes shouldn't be all that necessary either. Now I realize that if you live in a remote local, these two example classes may not be available to you, but for the younger set that are computer literate and either aren't interested in knitting or have access to classes at craft stores, offer something more relevant like polishing demo's or mobile technology or installing a wi-fi set up in your Airstream type of seminar during these times as well. (Again, I've never been to an International and haven't checked the rally schedule lately so these may be offered, and I'm picking on knitting and introductory computers because they are the least applicable to me, so forgive me for speaking about something I admit to knowing nothing about).

I just think, from what I saw of the schedule six months ago, the International just seems to be stuck in the 1960's-1970's and really needs to move into the 21st century. Hold on to what works for the established attendees, but add elements to attract new attendees and see which proves to be most popular over time. I'm not advocating a sudden and complete change, but more of a growth process and an emerging or, dare I say, and evolving process.

It is futile for the Club to say, "How can we attract new members?" and sit back on their hands and be unwilling to try new things to attract new members. I applaud their inclusion of the DJ at Perry. Everyone seemed to be looking forward to that new element in the International. And I believe everyone that attended the DJ dance really enjoyed having the addition. I think they will be looking forward to seeing it return next year. That was a step in the right direction. Now what's the next step?
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
I second the Myrtle Beach or Disney ideas. Sure would attract lots of younger people and familys. We stayed at Ocean Lakes last year and it was great. Something for everyone in those locations.

Also why does everyone have to be in one location ? Why not think like business does when they have a large convention, not everyone can be at the same hotel you just need a central gathering point. In doing so you expand where you can locate and mitigate some of the environmental and energy issues for such a large gathering.

As a final note , how does the WBBCI market its self ? The cities and convention bureaus are normally very competitive and often lay out big bucks to bring in large groups such as the WBCCI. I know our area does.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F
No problem! You can join VAC as an associate member without having a vintage unit. For that matter, most if not all VAC rallies are buddy rallies and you can get in without an Airstream. One VAC rally a few years ago, a young couple showed up on a Vespa motor scooter, tent camping! They were warmly welcomed. (I wouldn't be surprised if they have an Airstream by now.)
Yes, anybody can join the VAC as an associate member.
No, not all VAC Rallies are Buddy Rallies.
If it's not a buddy rally, only WBCCI & VAC members can attend.
If it is a buddy rally - the "rules" are pretty lenient - it's up to the hosts to establish the guidelines for their rally.
Each rally's hosts kinda set their own rules on how open a specific rally is to be, based on size & location restraints.

If you are a VAC member that is interested in hosting a VAC Rally, Gatering or Rendezvous please feel free to contact either me, any of the other VAC Board Members or your Region Rep to get started.

The Vintage Airstream Club

BTW, this year, a 1982 Airstream becomes vintage...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #55

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
Also why does everyone have to be in one location ? Why not think like business does when they have a large convention, not everyone can be at the same hotel you just need a central gathering point. As a final note , how does the WBBCI market its self ? The cities and convention bureaus are normally very competitive and often lay out big bucks to bring in large groups such as the WBCCI. I know our area does.
As one in the business I can confirm that most large city based convention bureaus are interested in filling hotels....not campgrounds. So you really need to go to the smaller towns where you become a big player in town and where there are many campsites. Someone can correct me but WBCCI used the Springfield Mo. convention facility, but the majority of the folks were camped at a offsite location that was specially constructed for the rally and required them to drive for the functions at the convention center.

I attempted to set up a regional rally here at the convention center. I was hoping we could use one of the big exhibition halls to house the units. Problem was I found out we don't allow tow vehicles inside other than to drop off the trailers nor do we want people overnighting inside the facility. Apparently the city fire marshall has problems with fuel tanks and even when we have the auto show here, all vehicles must come with no more than 3 gallons of gas in the tanks.
AIR #56
Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #56
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Jack,
You are correct in that Springfield City Utilities did provide camp site on some utility owned land. They also made available water, electric and contracted sewage removal. The big disadvantage to this location was having to travel some distance to the convention center downtown. As a resident of the community, I know that we were very excited and proud to host this event. I heard many positive things from varied segments of the community for weeks afterwards about the group, our service projects to the community and the dollars spent in our fair city. Hopefully, we can come up with something in the future that would accomodate camping and meeting facilities in one location. We would welcome this group back any time.