Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Water Pump Noise

My 28' CCD Int'l's water pump sounds like an air compressor when it turns on. Is that normal? Thanks!
dkekrksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I don't know if it's normal .. but mine sounds like that too!
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkekrksk
My 28' CCD Int'l's water pump sounds like an air compressor when it turns on. Is that normal? Thanks!

Our water pump on our 25' Safari is quite noisy too when it goes on. The only way I can describe it, "like an automatic food/garbage disposer" that goes under the kitchen sinks. They make a loud grinding sound, when turned on.

We will make sure with the dealer that this is normal, quite noisy I have to say.

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:31 AM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
i don't think it's normal. I'm not sure where your pumps are located but in my 345 it was noisey when I first got the coach. I was able to solve my pump noise problem in two ways. My pump is screwed into the subfloor (located under the rear bed in my floorplan). The initial noise we had was due to three of the four screws that hold the pump to the floor loosening up over time letting the rubber bushing which insulate the pump virbration from the floor fall out. I just put the bushings back in...tightened the screws and it was quiet again.

I ended up replacing the original water pump shortly thereafter (it died in the middle of a shower - of course!) I bought a replacement pump and mounted it in the same area, but because I needed to start fresh screw holes I moved it ovefr a little closer to the wall. It was quiet for a while but after some time one of the water lines got wedged in between the pump and the wall. It amplified the pump vibrations into the wall and made it sound like a garbage disposal as well. I used some zip ties to contain the water line and it's been quiet ever since. In fact I frequently leave it on now by mistake becuase I can't hear it cycle on and off from the forward areas in the AS.

All RV water pumps make a little noise, but if it's more than a dull hum then something could be amplifying the sound. Check the mounts and make sure it's not touching anything that could amplify the vibrations.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Ours makes the same sound! I have wondered if something was different about ours.......seems that we have company. I guess this makes the thing "normal"

Funny how my cheap Fleetwood Jamboree never sounded this noisy.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I looked at ours this afternoon. It's behind the panel below the fridge on the 28' CCD. Anyway, I was twisting it and turning it trying to read the model number on the label. It's a Shurflo 2088-422-144. I didn't an actual model name. It is mounted on 2 pieces of carpet about 4" by 6" that have the backing sides mated. The carpet is screwed to the floor. I suppose this is to absorb the vibration.

After moving and twisting it, I tried it and it's much quieter! The output side does rub against the frame of the closet and that may be where the noise is coming from.

I'm going to get some foam and try to isolate the output line from the wooden frame better.
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:35 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
The only thing you shoud hear in the shower is your own singing!

cosmotini - sounds like you're onto it. Interesting that they used carpet as an insulator. Under the fridge is a pretty tight spot to work but if you end up moving it a little one way or the other to get it off of that wall you can by a package of little rubber gromets from AutoZone for about $2.00. They are used for passing wiring through metal (firewall, trunk, etc.) in cars to keep the wires from chaffing. I replaced my old tired rubber doughnuts with these when I installed the new pump. I made sure to only snug the mounting screws (drywall screws) and not crush the rubber gromets.

I can tell you the wall noise is much louder than the floor mounting and the key is to make sure it's not touching anything but the floor and the inlet and outlet hoses. Those vibrations can be transmitted through the hoses also and some foam pipe insulation from Home Depot or Lowes placed around the hoses where it touches a wall could do the trick.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
We have a 04 25' Safari & the pump is a Flo-jet & just as noisey as the Shur-flo on our previous 02 Bambi. The pump will need some insulating or relocation, to quiet the thing down to where we can converse with out yelling. That'll be a change. I have to wonder why they can't figure a more quiet system, for something that used so often. Also I'm wondering if others have their pump cycle a lot. I think there might be a pressure adjustment, located on the pump front, that will perhaps slow down the cycling. Need the time to look. If you find a cure I'd sure appreciate knowing what was done.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
There is a very quiet Shur-flo on the market which works on a variablespeed concept to provide high output based on demand rather than just turning on...coming up to presure and then turning off. If you have the room you can also install an accumulator tank which contains a certain amount of water held against air pressure...this will also reduce pump cycling and reduce the drop in pressure right after you open the faucet.

Here are links to both products on the CW site:
Smart Sensor™ 5.7 Water Pump.
Flojet RV High Volume Water Pressure System

Motorhome magazine had a great article a few months ago about the smart sensor pump and adding a tank to an existing system. It sure seemed like a great improvement but it costs a small fortune. When I had to replace my pump I didn't have many choices from the local dealership and since we're weekenders I just bought a decent mid flow rate pump and mounted it in the same compartment but in a better spot on the new rubber. It's pretty darn quiet now (compared to before) but I also have a queen sized mattress between it and me.

My pump has a constant flow rate and tries to maintain a certain line pressure but I can't adjust it. When we're not using the water we just turn it off. This is a little easier as we have switches for the pump in both the galley and the bathroom.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Same problem

mine makes that same farting/viabrating noise. now that i've read this thread, I plan to explore it further tomorrow. thanks for sharing.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Good info on isolating the pump. One post mentioned the hoses. IMO this can be as much a problem as the pump itself.
I screwed the pump to a small piece of plywood, then placed the plywood on foam - just setting there. That and isolating the hoses from any nearby structures helped a LOT.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Water pump

The water pump in our '65 Caravel started sounding bad in 2003, so I replaced it with a Sureflo "Whisper King". It is located under the street side goucho, screwed to the floor through the four rubber feet it came with. Once the flo is above a trickle, it is a smooth, quiet flow. Plenty of pressure. We never hear it. Love it.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 international