Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Thought my CCD was being stolen

I have my CCD 22' stored in an airplane hanger (airstrip is no longer used) I own behind my Veterinary Hospital. I have been converting the hanger to be an RV Storage with 13 covered units. I've been having work done on the units the last few weeks to finish the conversion. The construction workers have been leaving the keys to the units in the Electrical panel box (unlocked) overnight. As I was approaching my business this morning on the way to work, there was a 22' CCD in the parking lot next to my office towed by a Toyota Tundra. I immediately thought this guy is making off with my A/S , so I whipped into my parking lot, jumped out of my truck and ran over to see what the hey he was doing with my A/S! As I got closer to the back of the CCD, I saw the CA license plate and realized that this wasn't my CCD, but someone who had pulled into the vacant parking lot to check his trip map (relief)! I approached him and told him my nightmare that someone was absconding with my "Baby"! Come to find out he was heading back to Santa Cruz, after being out 4 months totally boondocking. He showed me his 3000 Honda EU generator in the back of his truck, with two exhaust fans mounted to the camper top side screen. He said it would run all his electrical units including the AC. Then he politely showed me his interior (originally Hazard Orange) which he had reapolstered....showed me his map on the inside of his door of all the states he'd traveled to (color coded)....showed me his flat screen TV at the rear over the desk that was hooked to his automatic sensing Satellite dish on the roof (reeeeal cool). He had his companion in the passenger seat sitting just like a person, a 10 yr old Weimeraner. He said he had a 19' Bambi as his first trailer, then traded up for a 2003 CCD. He said he has only seen 2 A/S's during the 4 month sojourn, but how many A/S's boondock FT. Anyway, after I realized he wasn't making off with my CCD, it totally made my day to be able to jaw a few minutes about his A/S !

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Bad news. . .good news! Isn't it great when a potential nightmare turns into a highlight of the day? Enjoyed your anecdote-made me smile when I read it! I noted the 10 year old Weimaraner. Ours is nine, but I cannot imagine traveling with him; he is such a home-potato! It sounds like you met up with a true Airstreamer, proud of it all! Once again, glad it turned out all right
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Jordandvm,

Great story. And great idea of yours for covered storage.

I too have a Honda 3000. I'm curious about how he vented the exhaust. I pull mine onto the tailgate and leave everything open. Did he just have fans in the windows or some elaborate set up?

Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Jordandvm
I know where that airstrip is. Could I park there overnight when traveling through?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 12:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
Jordandvm
I know where that airstrip is. Could I park there overnight when traveling through?
You're kidding aren't you (about knowing where the airstrip is located)? We used to call it Philomath International Airport when it was active . Anyway, I don't own the airstrip land, just the land where the hanger is located. I have seen MH's park on the street next to the hanger overnite. The street it's located on dead ends into Mary's River City Park. We're just one block off Hwy 34/20 to the Oregon coast at Newport (60 miles).

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 06-05-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Garrison
Jordandvm,

Did he just have fans in the windows or some elaborate set up?

Jamie
He had a fiberglass canopy over his PU bed with two plastic (approximately 6")fans wired somehow to his battery and just loosely hung over the screened side window to suck out the fumes from the canopy. It appeared that he could start it up, lock his tailgate and "let er rip", not having to worry about theft after it ran out of gas. Looked like a good setup!

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 06-05-2004, 01:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Garrison
Jordandvm,

And great idea of yours for covered storage.
Jamie
I was wondering if I could post some pictures of the storage unit to get some input as to what is important in an RV storage unit. I want to do it right! It won't make me rich, but I figure there's going to be a need in this area for more RV storage (most in area are full). I do not have the lighting or electrical figured out yet, but will get a bid next Tuesday for inside/outside lighting & power outlets. Just paid $5K for rocking the lot, $7.5K for interior wall reconfiguration, and have a bid for $7.5K for fencing. Add to that the $50K paid for the building 10 yrs ago and I think it's a pretty inexpensive investment that could appreciate in value if I could show an income stream. I've even added a black/grey water dump site on the lot.

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538

Tags
2004 international