Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Cracked Skylight (leaks)

We were doing our weekend trailer check at the RV storage facility and it also happened to be the first day it had rained in Phoenix for over 140 days. I immediately noticed a small puddle on the floor right inside the door. I looked up and could see water drips around the base of the skylight. The obvious leak source. We scheduled a warranty appointment and dropped it off. When I called to see if it was ready the service manager said they had replaced the skylight. I was kind of surprised that it wasn't just a calking repair and he said no it was cracked. And he added, "they all do it". We're glad we got this fixed two months before the two year warranty expired but will it happen again? Is this just an Arizona extreme weather thing? Maybe we should start a trailer health savings account or invent a breathable skylight hat. And oh yes our new Safari SE/LS (being built now) will have the skylight. Just thought we would pass this along and would love to hear from other owners to see what they have experienced.
K & L
Old 07-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I too live in Phoenix and just noticed a small leak in my skylight under heavy rain. Was your skylight crack visible? Who is your dealer? Mine is a 2005, ready to fall out of warranty in one week.

Thanks,
Old 07-31-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hello Neil,
The crack was not visible (at least to me). We just saw drips around the base on the ceiling. I initially thought it just needed some vulcum or other caulking. We prefer to work with Oasis RV in Tucson for sales and service. Jay in service is the man you want to talk to.
-Ken
Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I agree. Oasis RV has been very good to me over the past two years........ It is just a shame they are located so far away (from the west valley)..

Thanks,
Old 07-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

It would be really inconvenient for us to take our airstream to the dealer before my warranty runs out (one week). But my wife called Airstream and they were extremely nice in permitting a warranty extension thru November at no charge. They say this is done all the time, and Jay later confirmed this. Perhaps because a lot of folks are on the road during the summer and not near their dealer. What SERVICE !!!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Two of the three on my '77 cracked and were dripping. I cut out some 9.25" x 9.25" squares of aluminum sheet and used metal tape to put them over the top as a stopgap measure. Will replace with something new eventually. For now though, that fixed it.

Of course on a new one like your's, I'd certainly take it to the shop and get the right parts for it.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Good idea.

Aluminum sheet and metal tape both available from Home Depot?

Is the metal tape easily removable?

How did you get the sheet to fold down over the skylight bubble?

The reason I ask is that I might use your stopgap measure until November until I can get the Airstream to the dealer.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
On my old one, the skylights were basically flat. They were cracked up so bad I just removed the shards that were left. The only thing remaining was the aluminum perimeter frame.

I got the aluminum flashing at HD or Lowes. The metal tape (not sure of the actual term) is industrial grade duct tape where the backing is actually made of metal. Got it at an HVAC supply house. Seems to hold really well. So far, the rain hasn't fazed it a bit.

On my vents, the perimeters are made of aluminum, so the pieces I cut out of the flashing didn't have to fold down around the edges. They were just simple flat pieces. I then extended the tape down over the sides.

Hope that helps.

Tags
2004 international