Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2004, 12:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Atwood water heater/fridge fan

Took my 22' CCD out overnight solo to paint with a local art group yesterday & today (was boondocking for the first time & looking for any excuse to take out the A/S)! Didn't quite know what to expect, but knew the battery was charged when I started. Anyway, I parked in a field, set up the normal way (took me 30 minutes to set up the ZipDee awning, but finally got it), then turned on the Water heater switch above the "Status switch". After a while I tried the hot water and noticed there was none. So, pulled out the manuals. It said that if the switch light was still on (red), you need to turn it off for 5-10 minutes, then hit it again. I did, and the light went off, and the heater was working. Is this a common problem? I've never had this happen before (previous 2 trips, with hookups).
Also, I brought it back to storage, dumped, and flushed the B/W tank twice....then backed into my bay. I turned off the fridge before return trip (but forgot to turn off the propane tank). Propane tanks turned off on return. I plugged in the power to an outlet to recharge the battery, then went back into the A/S to recheck all. I noticed the fridge fan was still running, but both switches to the fridge were off. This did not seem right, so unplugged the power cord and turned off the power switch inside the trailer and the fan went off, but could not recharge the battery this way. My question is.. should the fridge fan still be working if everything is turned off and am hooked up to recharge the battery?
You all have been very helpful in breaking in this newbie A/S owner!
Thanks,
Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:36 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jim,

The water heater issue is likely due to the fact that there was air in the LP lines and the heater relight cycle was not enough to purge them and light. After I have had my LP off, I aways start a burner on my stove before trying to start an auto ignition LP appliance.

This is a guess, as I have never seen the wiring, but the fridge fan was likely running due to the temp in the compartment. There may be a cut off switch in the compartment for the fan, other members have said they have one. Once the compartment is "cool" enough the fan would have turned off on it's own if it was working as designed.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I've never paid that much attention to it, but it takes my unit sometimes as many as 5 tries to get the hot water heater to light. When the light comes on I just reset and hit it again. I don't want more than 5-10 sec. It hasn't blown up yet, and since there is no gas getting to the igniter I'm really not concerned that it will
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 international