Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2004, 02:03 PM   #1

2nd Battery?

All,

I just purchased a 2004 International CCD 22, which I take delivery of tomorrow. I have a question though. Is there a way to add a second battery to the trailer? The dealer said no...but, I am concerned about battery life when dry camping.

Thanks!
cyclesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Welcome to the Wondeful World of Airstreaming and Welcome to the Airstream Forums.

I can't answer your question about adding another battery, but if it is a real concern then you can add a solar charger to your unit and this will help when you are away from power hookups. Many people on the forum have added these and they report complete satisfaction.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Second battery?

Hi cyclesurfer,

Congrats on your new 22' CCD. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed ours.

Please see the attached for how I answered the second battery question for my AS.

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...cat/all/page/2

I had a custom bracket and cover fabricated to carry a Douglas 212 AH 12vdc deep cycle scrubber battery. This is equivalent capacity to 2-1/2 Group 24 batteries, like the one you get with your CCD. We also like to "Boondock" and this allows us to go about 4 days on a single charge. We carry a Honda EU-3000is to recharge for longer trips. We use the lights, water pump, fans, stereo and 9' Toshiba color tv/combo to watch DVD movies. It fits nicely between the electric jack and propane tank cover, and you can see from the pix that it doesn't overhang the tongue.

If this interests you, I can send you the details. PM me if you'd like.

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Welcome

You certainly picked a nice unit. I love my 25'.
Remember, the battery will charge from your vehicle as well.

Enjoy, Andy
Old 08-31-2004, 07:11 AM   #5
Zero Carb Twinkie

2003 22' International CCD
Fullarton , Ontario
I had a second battery put up on our 22' CCD. The dealer just made a rectangular bracket out of shallow L angle iron that sits over the hole where the one battery was, and the bracket holds the both batteries. The Bracket was screwed to the frame and the plastic battery boxes screwed to the bracket. The batteries sit longways down the frame and not across. I don't know if you have the Aluminum Propane cover, but I ordered one this year (since in 2003, this was not an available). The good news was that the batteries did not interfere with the new propane tank cover.
0CarbTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
0CarbT

Do you have a picture or two of the 2nd battery installation? I have a 16 CCD and would really like to add another battery. I have a honda 2000 generator, but would really like a second battery for weekend trips.

thanks!

The People from the Pod
pod people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:02 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's a very valid concern, particularly if you boondock. We were out for about 6 days using the fantastic fans at times, water pump as needed and stereo as well as rationed lights. Our 25' Safari (04 w/ dual batteries from the factory) did last, however I can tell you that by the end of the 6th day, we were at about 1/4 capacity left per the wall mounted meter. The lights were also starting to get dimmer. We might have gotten another day, maybe two out of them if we REALLY tried.

If air conditioning is not a big need when you boondock, get a simple Honda EU1000. It would top off the batts nicely. If air was needed, you'd need to place a few in par to get the needed amps and most likely bump up to the EU2000s.

At any rate, 2 batteries is a very good idea...particularly since I seem to recall that the 22' units have (or had) electric tank heat rather than forced air like the rest of the "fleet". If you boondock regularly, 2 batteries would be a must with all the needs and parasitic draws (LP detector, stereo, etc).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2nd Battery

Go to 2003 International AS look at the last page of Pahaka, there are pictures of my 2nd battery set up
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Got solar?

Even though I agree that two is better then one, when we had our 22' CCD, the solar panel kept the battery nicely charged for three days in Great Basin NP (without a generator or attaching to the truck). The only reason we had to move the trailer from our camp site was because the tanks were about full.
Enjoy,
KL
Old 09-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #10
Zero Carb Twinkie

Fullarton , Ontario
Pod People:

When my camera comes back from vacation I will get you a photo, hopefully tommorrow night.

Silverback:
What (watt) size was your solar panel?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0CarbTwinkie
Pod People:

When my camera comes back from vacation I will get you a photo, hopefully tommorrow night.

Silverback:
What (watt) size was your solar panel?
ZeroCarb,

I'd like to see your battery setup too. Bob Seagel did such a great job - I question my ability to do what he did... He's a tough act to follow .

Anyway, we have solar and like it lots. FYI, ours is a 75 watt setup. Here's the link to our installation (bear in mind that I corrected the "silicone") >>

Solar Install 22' CCD

Adios
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
These are great set-ups. Do you have a selector switch that you flip to go from one battery to the other when one goes dead? I have contemplated going to two batteries and have been told that two 6 volt batteries wired toghether will also work; any comments on that idea?
Ernie
'58 traveler 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
2nd Battery

Hi X,

Thanks for the kind words. However, I can't take all the credit for my battery bracket and cover. Jason at AREA 51 Customs (see link) did all the metal fabrication and installation. He does some neat car modifications, so this was a small job for him.

http://www.area51customs.com/

I just did the design and the finish buffing and trim work.

I'm sure that any local machine/welding shop could make a bracket just like mine with the photos I provided at:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...00&ppuser=4749

Thanks,

Bob Eagle
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:53 PM   #14
Zero Carb Twinkie

Fullarton , Ontario
Bob: That is a beautiful job. I will now have to see about getting a Aluminum or Stainless cover made for mine.

Here are some pics of a more modest setup that the dealer created for around $50.00CDN.

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...php/photo/6912
Old 09-14-2004, 09:41 AM   #15

Thank you all for these great suggestions. I like what you did with the battery solution (better than the suggestion from the local dealer where they recommended cutting the welds for the propane tanks, move them forward, them mount the batteries behind as in the 25' Intl. I really like the solar solution. I guess it will come down to price effectiveness between the 2 options.
cyclesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Please post pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Hi X,

Thanks for the kind words. However, I can't take all the credit for my battery bracket and cover. Jason at AREA 51 Customs (see link) did all the metal fabrication and installation. He does some neat car modifications, so this was a small job for him.

Area 51 Customs -- Fredericksburg, VA (540)-898-0951

I just did the design and the finish buffing and trim work.

I'm sure that any local machine/welding shop could make a bracket just like mine with the photos I provided at:

www.airstreamphotos.com Coming Soon!

Thanks,

Bob Eagle
Bob,

Tried the link to the photos but it takes me to a website search page. Can you post some pics of your battery tray? I have a 2005 22' ccd and plan to do a similar setup, using two 6 volt golf cart batteries. I have not seen many using the larger 12 volt battery you have, though it seems to have similar weight and ah rating of two 6 volt golf cart batts. What are the advantages of that system over two 6 volts (if it's better I may lean towards that route). Finally, any issues you know of with the extra tongue weight? I assume none as other trailers in the ccd line come with two batteries.

Thanks for your help. jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #17
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3500
Bob,

Tried the link to the photos but it takes me to a website search page. Can you post some pics of your battery tray? I have a 2005 22' ccd and plan to do a similar setup, using two 6 volt golf cart batteries. I have not seen many using the larger 12 volt battery you have, though it seems to have similar weight and ah rating of two 6 volt golf cart batts. What are the advantages of that system over two 6 volts (if it's better I may lean towards that route). Finally, any issues you know of with the extra tongue weight? I assume none as other trailers in the ccd line come with two batteries.

Thanks for your help. jk
Hi JK,
The post and member you are responding to are from a 2004 post!
The members may no longer be active or alive

Try the search feature, I'm sure you will find resources there, or start a new thread.

Congrats on your new rig,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The last time Bob posted was only a few days ago, so he's still around. He may have forgotten about this particular thread though.

Send him a PM?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We had a local muffler/welding shop fabricate a bracket for a second battery for our 2002 22' CCD. They then bolted the bracket to the A-frame between the propane bottles and the electric jack (over the original battery bracket). It was an easy and quick modification for them. The second battery, along with our 120 watt solar panel, gives us all the DC we need for boondocking. (Thanks to rseagle for his lead with this modification!).
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
thanks all. guess i didn't look at the date on the thread. regardless i appreciate the quick rsponses. it seems many have successfully added a dual battery setup to these trailers, which gives me alot of confidence in doing so. wish i had some pictures of the setup, it seems the photo gallery is down right now... jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 international