Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

victoria , british columbia
upgrades

just bought a 22 ccd and this is what i woud like to change, but being a novice i would ask the advice of the forum

1- heater fan to noisy can this be changed?
2-we like the wet bath but the shower holder is in the wrong place, i hit my head, so is the toilet roll holder, but that could be difficult
3-would like to protect the frame from rust here in Canada we have a product called Krown, which is a upgrade from rust check, my cars are done with this no rust, so is it possible to reach the frame, like remove the underbelly
4- put gfi plugs in the kitchen- they should be anyway if near water.

ill think of some more as time goes on, many thanks for reading

david
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
David,

I have a 19CCD. l can't answer on the wet bath as I have a full shower. Kitchen outlets are probably (and should be) on the same circuit as a GFCI and are probably downstream of one. Get a 3 prong circuit condition tester with GFCI test button, plug in to one of the outlets and hit the button. The GFCI that controls them should pop. A GFCI can control 3 other outlets if properly wired.

The heater is noisy.....most are! I use an oil-filled radiator for most heating when I'm plugged in and I installed a heat strip in the air conditioner for a little heat on cool mornings. If you're boondocking, you just have to listen to the fan .

I'm not familiar with your rust control product, but if you can access the frame, then why not (others who have done restorations may have more significant input on this topic) .

Hope this helps a little.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

upgrades

thanks for the qiick reply, as regards 1 can one change the heater fan for a quieter fan or does one have to change the whole heater, the heater strip is not very warm and still noisy,plus when boondocking no power, as you can guess i am noise sensitive, but i know there must be a quiete heater out there, i did see a mr heater when i was in camperworld so perhaps i can add some form of propane connection and use that.

david
Old 03-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
David,
Are you sure it's the heater fan making the noise? I owned an 04' 22'ccd and the fridge fan was extremely noisy and has been discussed numerous times on the forums. There are some good threads discussing this fix....... just type in silenex in the search feature......one is here http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=silenex
I never did resolve the issue because we upgraded to a 28'er, but I know a lot of folks did fix their's.
Good luck!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

upgrades

no it was definatly the heater fan, the fridge wasn't on, mybe a faulty fan
another question if i install optima batteries do i have to change anything like charging units?

david
Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Airstream should be more concerned about protecting the frame. The frame should at least be powder coated. Did you know that all Coleman popup trailers have a powder coated frame? We should not have to apply rust proofing to these trailers, it should be a process applyed at the factory and it would make an excellent selling feature.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
David,

Optima batteries would be a good choice. We just installed two in ours. Just be certain to install the Blue Top Optimas.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
Airstream should be more concerned about protecting the frame. The frame should at least be powder coated. Did you know that all Coleman popup trailers have a powder coated frame? We should not have to apply rust proofing to these trailers, it should be a process applyed at the factory and it would make an excellent selling feature.
Since when did Coleman start powdercoating? I have a 2000 and if it was powdercoated it was only because it was in the same room, it has pretty substantial surface rust on it. Personally I think a highgrade epoxy paint would be a better choice and better yet POR 15 Of course that would cut into the profit margins and they would have to raise the price at least $2000 to cover the cost. I would also like to see more use of stainless steel fasteners but they aren't going to do that either, it would add at least $100 to the bottom line cost of every trailer. (rant off )

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

upgrades

why optima blue? someone told me yellow.

i agree with the powder coating, but here in canada i use krown an excellent product if only i can get to the frame with all the metal sheeting on, being new to all this i find it terrible that one has to be careful of bending the frame, this should never be with present day technology, it would in my opinion, and i know nothing, to leave the under belly exposed and protect the tanks, then one can see any problems developing, and someone told me you cannot walk on the roof, i have walked on a bigfoot roof, but what do i know

thanks

david
Old 03-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
David -- Walking on the roof has been discussed multiple ways on the forums. Just never put any pressure on the end segments!

Powder coating isn't a magic bullet -- just a way to eliminate the serious toluene vehicle emissions from spray paints. POR-15 is amazing stuff!

I haven't dealt with the newer plastic banana wrap and edge panels down below. Removing belly wrap isn't difficult but you'll have problems with rivets here and there. The end result is that the materials will be aged significantly if you do this frequently. Fiberglass batt insulation and bare plywood floors will be exposed to the elements once the belly wrap is off. At most I could suggest cutting an inspection opening, then riveting a slightly larger aluminum panel over it.

Airstream bellies are intended to have ventilation -- so don't plan on sealing this space.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Since when did Coleman start powdercoating? I have a 2000 and if it was powdercoated it was only because it was in the same room, it has pretty substantial surface rust on it. Personally I think a highgrade epoxy paint would be a better choice and better yet POR 15 Of course that would cut into the profit margins and they would have to raise the price at least $2000 to cover the cost. I would also like to see more use of stainless steel fasteners but they aren't going to do that either, it would add at least $100 to the bottom line cost of every trailer. (rant off )

Aaron
I had a 2002 Santa Fe and I was disappointed because the next year Coleman(now Fleetwood) powdercoated the frame and the tent material was attached to the bed slides which I thought was a great improvement. It now looks like Fleetwood only powder coats the tongue and bumper area on selected models.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

upgrades

Bob thanks for the info, i am not running airstream down but first i would tell you my story. two years ago i got the car i wanted, so my wife wanted her choice in TT, we had been across canada to the east coast down, across new mexico and back up the west coast, we did this in a small travel van but we both really enjoyed our 3month trip. that was 5 years ago, time for a TT so my wife asked me to do research on TT which i did, my choice was bigfoot 2x 3500 axles for the same size, good solid frame 4 season , and so on but my wife saw an airstream from afar and asked me to check, no dealers on our island -vancouver island-but i knew a guy who used to own one for years and every june he would take it to the lake, so i talked to him and this is what he told me - old wally would shake in his grave if he saw what had become of airstream, the workmanship is atrocious, no detail, some food company used to own it, and now its Thor and all they do is play on the name and past reputation for a fat buck, cheap, cheap, cheap, there not made for traveling in, just for living in, soon as you move they leak, and that rots the floor, this is from memory, word for word, but my wife did not like the granny interior, with its floral coach and yellow type wood of the bigfoot , but fell in love with the 22ccd apart from the desk at the rear, i will not go on -this was just to give you some background

david
Old 03-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
David,

You might wish to study the Optima line by going to;

www.optimabatteries.com

When it came time to replace my two batteries, I'd had experience with Optima from using them in my Corvettes. I found that the red and yellow topped batteries were for purely automotive use i.e. cranking power. I wasn't familiar with the blue tops until I asked my Airstream dealer if they would be appropriate for my trailer. My dealer and another Forum member instructed me to be certain to use the blue tops. The Blue tops are for marine, deep cycle use and hold a charge longer. Click on Marine once you go to the website. I think that once you've taken a look at the Optima site you too will agree you want the blue tops. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
If you are interested in top of the line RV batteries look at Lifeline as well and do a comparison. I use two lifeline 27 batteries.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

upgrades

the lifeline sond good two questions do i have to buy a seperatye charger, and how is the price compared to the optima blue, the blue is $176 here in cosco, they do have them in Vancouver, but that is a big ferry ride away especially if you have a warrenty issue.

thanks

david
Old 03-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
I had my Airstream dealer add two Optima Blue tops under the bed in my 22 CCD. They fabricated an aluminum box to put them in and then vented the box to the outside of the trailer. I also still have the battery up by the hitch. The heater is loud but I get used to it by the third night out. Maybe earplugs would be an easy fix.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

upgrades

ear plugs on a multi-million doller trailer, no sir, i shall remove the noise maker and install a catalytic heater--silence.

david
Old 03-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith
ear plugs on a multi-million doller trailer, no sir, i shall remove the noise maker and install a catalytic heater--silence.

david
I have a catalytic heater as well as the standard heater in my 75. We use the cat only in the morning to remove the chill from the trailer. but we live in Arizona. The standard heater will heat things that the cat will not. It should keep your water and waste tanks from freezing. At least that is what I have been told by people who live where it gets cold...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

upgrades

one could hardwire a mr heater in, this heater is noisless.

here in canada some stores are not selling the optima batteries, to many problems with them, a friend has been through 3 on his corvette, all in two years, any body noticed this??
Old 03-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I certainly recall posts about Optimas that didn't last very long. Don't ignore marine or fleet stores. For half the price of an Optima I was able to get a house brand deep cycle battery for my Argosy and it is working out well. Everyday folks don't like to be ripped off on batteries for their fishing boats.

I figure it's like good regional ice creams being yummy at half the price compared to shipping Ben & Jerry's all the way from New Hampshire...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international