Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
Two 6 volt batteries on International AS

I need some help please. I have tried a number of searches using different criteria, but can’t find what I am looking for.

I would like to put two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries on the tongue of my 2003 International AS. What is the best way to go about doing this?

First, would this add too much weight to the tongue? Second, how would I support the batteries on the tongue, do I need a special bracket or support? I have located a battery box, but it has no way to secure it to the tongue.

I saw a modification a while ago where someone had put diamond plate on the tongue, moved the propane tanks and added an aluminum battery box to the tongue. It looked great, but very involved. I don’t have either the mechanical ability or tools to make such a modification. Do you think having something like this done at a metal shop would be prohibitively expensive?
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
If you have not already bought the batteries, this thread may interest you.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Nayl,

You can cut a piece of 1/8" aluminum to fit in the bottom of the battery box, and mount it with square U-bolts to the tongue. Use plywood pieces to support the batteries above the nuts on the U-bolts.

The bigger challenge might be relocating the propane tanks. Be sure that they don't interfere with the bumper of your tow vehicle in tight turns.

You can always find something heavy inside to move toward the back to keep the tongue weight down.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Nayl -- The 6 vs 12 volt advice is good. Little benefit to trade two 6s for two 12s (more charging cycles, but no current if one fails). They weigh w/in a few lbs of each other. Space on the tongue is a big problem. Your manual has some instructions for obtaining tongue weight usiing a 4-5ft beam, a couple of inch dowels or pipe, a bath scale and a tape measure. You can change weight/location/add counterweight and be sure that you remain below your 1000lb max. If you intend to mostly plug in, invest your $ and energy in camping iinstead... it's more fun.
Brian
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania

Thanks for the replies.

The reason this idea came up is that I have a credit of $165 at a local auto parts store which must be spent in the next couple of weeks. I’m not an auto parts type of girl (all truck maintenance is done at the dealer or a mechanic’s shop) and didn’t know how to spend the credit.

Should I just replace my existing 12 volt battery, which has had no maintenance in the two years I have owned the trailer? Maybe that’s why I never have any power when I camp without electric hook up!

Old 03-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would get a good battery hydrometer, a three stage charger if you don't have one, the 12V deep cycle battery; and the rest, just buy cases of motor oil and put em in storage. Next year they'll be worth a fortune.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Weight?

I formerly had an International AS. It was built very overweight (overly heavy cabinetry) and had a very limited carrying capacity. In mine, I couldn't possibly have spared the weight penalty to put two heavy batteries on the tongue.

That said, I saw an AS at the dealer with two batteries and 30# propane tanks to boot. It was a very good job, mechanically, but I would bet that it is well over the gross weight when loaded for travel.

Unless you are going to do some very extensive boondocking, why do you need the extra battery. My previous trailers had a single battery and I could eke out 5 or 6 days at music festivals by being careful, and I spent 5 days on the train at Copper Canyon on a single battery.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
Someone suggested that perhaps should get two batteries and thus sought the advice of those on this forum.

The battery just doesn't seem to last and this has been the case since the trailer was new. We spent a week camping with full hook up, drove home and the lights went dim on me before I had finished unloading. The next morning I checked the battery and it seemed fine. Granted, I don't know much about this sort of thing. Isn't the battery supposed to charge when the trailer is hooked up to power?

Perhaps something happened to the battery while it sat on the dealer lot. The trailer is an '03 which was purchased sometime in August so it's possible that it was on the lot for a year or more.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Your battery is sulphated. Take it to a battery shop and have it de-sulphated.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

A different way

A way a member I know has extra power is the following.
He runs a "welding cable" from the truck battery to the back of the bed using the quick connects that welders use. Reason for that type cable, large, flexable, lowcost per-foot. In the truck bed he has an extra 12v battery thats gets charged going down the road. Also has a cable running from the 12v battery in the trailer to the outside. With the quick hookups, he can connect the battery on the back of the truck to the trailer for extra power. When he's out running around during the day, recharge!

Paul Waddell
WBCCI/VAC/WDCU 1270
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, 2003 international