Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Tow an International

I am looking to buy a used Airstream and tow it with a VW Touareg. It looks like they bumped up the weight of the Int'l CCD with that cool steel finish interior in year model 2006. With my 7700# tow limit i need go back to the 6300# year model. Any thoughts on towing or finding a super clean 6300# Airstream?
Thanks in advance.
Alexcoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Here's someone that tows a 23 CCD with a Toureg:

Where Is Kyle Now? | About

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums... You didn't say what length of Airstream you are looking for...that will be important in determining weight.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
I'm thinking of a 25ft trailer and want to do what I can to minimize the weight so I thought I'd go back a few years to a lighter model. It seems like they increased the weight around 2005.
Alexcoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have a 2005 25FB which weighs 7400# ready to go camping. It weighs virtually the same as a brand new one. To find a significantly lighter 25 footer, you are probably going to have to get back into the 1970s.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I guess I need to ask - why the need to stick to the 6300 lbs? Are you going by the "subtract 10% rule" that pervades RV online forums? A manufacturer's tow rating means that they validated towing at that max weight in a severe test (pulling trailer at highway speeds up a steep grade in Death Valley in 100+ degree temps with AC blasting.) For that vast majority of users, there's plenty of reserve built into that rating.

That weight difference in the brochure could merely be because AS changed how they counted the weight, or changed the GVWR. There's probably little difference in actual trailer weight from year to year, if you compare the same model/equipment trailer.

An example - my Safari SE's claimed brochure weight is about 300 pounds less than actual because AS left out features that came with the upgrade (like the wrap window and that cool aluminum interior trim). They gave the weight for the base Safari rather than my loaded-up one. That was fixed in later years.

The heaviest modern 25' tended to be a 25FB with the dual panoramic windows; they were standard on International CCD trailers. (There are some 25FBs out there, like Moosetag's trailer, that only have the rear panoramic - that saves some weight.) The 25SS and 25B are lighter as well.

Keep in mind too that a difference of a few hundred pounds will make little difference in towability. Plenty of folks on the forums here have towed modern 25' trailers with Touaregs. You wind up being somewhat payload-limited, so you can't haul a generator or your collection of lead bricks, but many of those owners seem pretty happy with their choice.

Check out the tow vehicle section of the forum and read the (many) Touareg threads for more. Happy trailer hunting!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 international