Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Shower handle water stop

I know I saw a thread about this before, but could'nt find it. I would like to install a shutoff valve in the shower handle to conserve water while boondocking. The shower handle has a push button for stream vs spray, but does not shutoff without closing the faucet handles completely (a real pain when taking a shower). I feel this a severe oversight by Airstream to not include this in their design. How have you all dealt with this? Has anyone installed a shutoff mechanism in their shower head?
Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I replaced mine with an Ondine small head unit that has a trickle feature. It almost turns the water completely off at the shower head. I remember seeing a unit at Walgreens which had a sliding mechanism in the handle which stopped the water flow. I think it was made by Rubbermaid. I went back to buy it and it was gone. I then settled for the Ondine and have been happy.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Alternate head units are available

The shower head unit at end of flex hose in most RV's is pretty std residential plumbing item.. It is possible to find repacement with shutoff in regular hardware store (Home Depot/Lowe's) or units with slide valve for trickle (to avoid hot/cold issues when re-opened..) at most RV stores, including Camping World etc... Unit removes from threaded fitting at end of hose with wrench, and new unit goes on with some sealer or teflon tape to make it water tight...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
The shower head unit at end of flex hose in most RV's is pretty std residential plumbing item.. It is possible to find repacement with shutoff in regular hardware store (Home Depot/Lowe's) or units with slide valve for trickle (to avoid hot/cold issues when re-opened..) at most RV stores, including Camping World etc... Unit removes from threaded fitting at end of hose with wrench, and new unit goes on with some sealer or teflon tape to make it water tight...

John McG
Not quite as simple as that with the CCD. The shower head is a pull-out faucet head in the corner sink. When I had the International AS, I had the same problem; I searched every HD, Lowe's, and plumbing shop around and never found a suitable replacement head. All were too large, too long, or angled in a way that wouldn't work with the corner sink. I finally lived with what came with the trailer.

One option is to pull out the hose, unscrew the head, and screw on a better head just when showering. One caveat is that if the hose slips down the faucet spout, you have a real problem getting it back. Also, an adapter nipple is required since the threads on the AS head are opposite those on a standard head.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 international