Old 07-24-2003, 10:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Should we buy a new Airstream International CCD

We've twice been to a local dealer to view the 2003 CCDs.

The craftsmanship "looks" good. (I did notice mismatched seams inside of the cabinet above the stove.)

After reading the comments on this forum about shoddy workmanship and less than satifactory remediation, we're having second thoughts.

Has anyone had positive experiences with the 2004 models?
Could things have improved on the assembly line and in the front office?

dottie dawglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:25 AM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Hi Dottie!

I have a '94 Classic. It's neither new nor the CCD, so that makes me uniquely qualified to comment!

We were at Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls IA this week getting a part for our trailer, and had an opportunity to take a look at a CCD on the lot (as well as a Safari 25').

I noticed a variety of detail issues on the '03 CCD that was there... drawers were poorly fitted, trim wasn't fitted well, and the little brackets that hold the bent plastic partition weren't mounted squarely in the right spots. Minor stuff, but annoying.

I guess that if I were going to buy one, I would try to find one that has minimal fit-and-finish issues at the outset. And then buy it from a reputable dealer who has the proven ability to repair problems.

Best of luck, Roger

Old 07-25-2003, 03:47 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Hi Dottie,
This past April we purchased a 2003 22’International AS. It has the oven upgrade, spare tire, and front end stainless shields. Our truck was not trailer ready so the dealer also provided all the tow equipment, equalizer hitch, sway bars, electric break controller etc. We paid $ 33,500 and felt we got a fair deal. We did have a few small problems, the first was a short in the 110 system our dealer and his staff were very responsive and the problem was taken care immediately. After our first trip we found a minor problem and had a couple of cosmetic issues we did not care for. Our problem is that we live about 2 hours away from the dealer and service work basically shoots a full workday for us, so I wrote to Richard Riegel President and CEO Airstream, Inc. and explained our concerns and situation. Within 2 weeks we received replacement for the items we were unhappy with and a couple of Airstream chairs for our inconvenience. We also received a call from Mr. Riegle to see if the items had arrived and if we were satisfied. Needless to say our experience with Airstream has been very positive.

Our Airstream dealer is George Sutton RV in Eugene, Oregon
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
you get what you pay for...

Dottie -

I understand your concerns.

When we first joined the forum and read all the problems the new model owners had we almost changed our minds too, but let's not forget that this is the place where we all talk our AS troubles! Therefore there seem to be many more than there actually are.

AS are hand made, this gives outstanding quality but also great margins for human errors. None unrepairable. Plus one of the many AS ownership joys is ... fixing!

Go for it and join the club!

Good luck
Kimili
KIMILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:51 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I am one of those that have a fair sized list of issues. I can say that I was pretty hot as the list continued to grow (the list is still growing as I type this!). My dealer did not give me the perception that they really know the products all that well and I finally did get in contact with Airstream. Like you my dealer is also several hours away.

At any rate, after speaking with their customer support and the service techs, I have an appointment to be at Jackson Center for the homecoming and also have the work done that is needed.

For all the issues with the trailer, I can honestly say, as long as the frame and structure are sound (which they appear to be), the coach does not leak, it tows real well, it is fixable (hopefully). I'll bet anyone that goes to an SOB dealer and just peeks their heads into a different brand coach will feel that there are few issues that can't be dealt with compared to the quality of the SOBs.

Anyway, I am sure old Bambi will be OK in the end. I really do love it.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 02:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
We just bought a 16' Bambi CCD from George M. Sutton in Eugene OR. Sight unseen, 300 miles from home. We were obsessed with the design of it. It is so unique, modern, retro, hip, the future... We'd never owned a trailer before but have done extensive tent camping, backpacking, moteling,and staying with friends and relatives, so we thought it was time to move up. First trip was 500 miles, 3 nights and it was so much more than we could have ever imagined. As for the Pod, there are a few issues. The sliding doors on the front storage unit were installed in the tracks in the wrong order, preventing the biggest possible opening. A little effort on my part and it was put right. The drawer under the dinette doesn't have a latch to prevent it from opening while on the move. I drilled a hole through the drawer slide and the drawer side to insert a pin when moving. We also want to replace the shower head with one that has a shut off lever so we can shut it down to soap up without having to turn off the water at the handles and loose our temp settings. The hook and loop was all wrong on the shower curtain but we don't think it is even necessary. Added a storage tube for the sewer hose under the trailer. Where else could it have gone? Being such a small trailer I suppose they left that up to us. And being such a small trailer maybe not so much can go wrong with it? The stereo system is sweet. Hope we don't annoy the neighbors. But how can you not like Norrie Paramor?

So take a chance.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:03 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The 16' CCD is an International, not a Bambi.

FYI.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 07-26-2003, 05:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
We didn't think it was a Bambi either but right by the front door is a red, white and blue plaque which says "Bambi" and below that is a aluminum plaque which says "Designed by Christopher C Deam". So I guess it's a 16' Bambi-International 2004!
Old 07-26-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's pretty amazing to me. Anyone else care to chime in here.

A Bambi-International.

What will they come up with next!
Old 07-26-2003, 05:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
Eric, I'm starting to get the impression that the people at AS have been wingin' it with this 16 footer from the start. There's been a lack of information overall, the windows, shower etc. are different than the web site pictures and descriptions, and the owner's manual (notebook) is for a Safari-Bambi and most of it doesn't pertain to our 16'. I feel like a guinea pig but it's fun and I'll be happy to answer any questions about our Pod. By the way, we were told at the dealer there are only 3 others out there. I kind of hope that's not true!
Jamie
Old 07-26-2003, 09:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Bambi 16 CCD

Well we can confirm that 5 weeks ago when we bought our baby our local dealer had 2 other 16' Bambi CCD's and they both had SOLD signs on.

That's 2 for you right here on the east coast.
Can't believe you're the only other.

We saw it and loved it, it's a jewel box, great buy!

We almost changed our minds and went for it, but our situation required a little more room.
Another factor for us was the missing awning, we have 2 puppies that need shade.

Enjoy
Kimili
KIMILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 09:13 PM   #12
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Yes.
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 09:54 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

16 CCD

We share your enthusiasm for the 16' CCD. We are currently in negotiations with several dealerships. Our expectations are to hit the road with a pod for under 31k, including hitch. Your thoughts?
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:27 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Thanks to everyone for replying. We plan on looking at "silver twinkies" tomorrow in Los Banos, Ca. I love the retro look and itS the first Trailer/RV that Ive been in where I wasn't hit by a chemical cloud going in...this I like. Dot

dottie dawglips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international