Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Culver City , California
Propane tank cover options

Hi all,

The wife and I made the plunge from forum lurker to Airstream owners recently, and we're loving it! I'm sure we'll have lots of questions as we go, and its so nice to have this forum on which to ask them! So, with no real rhyme or reason, here goes our first somewhat minor question.

I'm trying to find better looking options for covering - or improving the look of - my propane tanks. So far, I've seen a few great custom aluminum covers (user rseagle has a great setup here), and even a few people who've replaced their tanks with shiny aluminum ones.

So first of all, what are the options outside of my current vinyl bag (see below)? Is there a pre-fabricated option out there to cover these tanks for my 2003 International CCD 22'? If not, is there a company that would make something for me?

Thanks in advance!

dekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Welcome to the Forums!

Just one question - What took you so long???

Your Website is great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekew View Post
The wife and I made the plunge from forum lurker to Airstream owners recently,...I'm trying to find better looking options for covering - or improving the look of - my propane tanks. So far, I've seen a few great custom aluminum covers (user rseagle has a great setup here), and even a few people who've replaced their tanks with shiny aluminum ones.
I'm sure you could find a custom fabricator if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself - I think I would opt to go with some Aluminum Tanks and put a good polish on them. I suspect that new tank purchase and shine would be the most economical solution. The tanks do not take much time to keep a mirror shine on them, and are much handier for service if you do not have to remove a bulky cover for inspection or service. I am not sure just how much difference there is in the shorter CCD models - there may be an interference with the front panel - especially if you are running the "shortie" tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekew View Post
So first of all, what are the options outside of my current vinyl bag (see below)? Is there a pre-fabricated option out there to cover these tanks for my 2003 International CCD 22'? If not, is there a company that would make something for me?
First off, I would explore the possibility of fitting the factory covers in various styles from previous years. Don't know which years or types could be easily fitted to your '03 model.

On the question of a custom fabrication, I would think that any "company" of any size would want drawings or pictures prior to starting fabrication. Better to advertise (maybe a barter???) for the services of an individual. A possible alternative would be to find an A&P mechanic at a local airport FBO and question if you could coerce him (or her) into doing a set for you. Again, I would suspect prices for a custom cover would exceed a set of polished Worthingtons or a set of covers from the JC factory with mods to fit your CCD.

With the current economic slowdown you might find a small Stainless Steel Fab Shop that would need a small job to keep someone busy for a day or so - won't be cheap.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Post Covering the gas

Hi Dekew and congratulations on taking the plunge!

One unique design problem you face is that the 22 CCD has the battery forward to the tanks. This places the tanks very close to the body and makes it difficult to have a tank cover slide up and over the tanks for refilling. It also makes it hard to swing open a top hinged cover.

You might consider the cover design on the "Basecamp"

Enjoy the ride...
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Culver City , California
Hey guys, Thanks for the comments - this is super helpful! The covering on the Basecamp is really close to the style I'm looking for. With Dennis' suggestions on where to look for places (and people) to help create something, I should be set.

One question tho:
When you say "I would explore the possibility of fitting the factory covers in various styles from previous years," is that something I should talk to the dealer about?

It seems that most people go through dealers for parts, and there aren't a ton of parts / accessory sources online for newer Airstreams. I just want to be sure I'm not missing some well known online resource aside from Ebay, craigslist, Airstream.com, vintagetrailersupply.com or odmrv.com

Thanks a ton!
dekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Somerville , Alabama
Hey, I have a 2003, 22 footer that came with that same terrible vinyl cover. I am on the hunt for an aluminum replacement. There is a factory cover that was put on various models from 2004 on that I believe may work for our campers. The part number is 915788. As a matter of fact, there was a 03, 22 footer that just sold on ebay that had one an aluminum tank cover on it... the original owner had passed away and the seller didnt know where he had gotten the cover though. Anyway, this cover was used on various models that have the same tongue configuration (i.e. the tanks located aft of the battery and very close to the camper body). I did call Airstream and they were not much help... all they will do is look at the parts book for that model and quote the original vinyl cover number. Of course there will be no reference to the part that was used the following year. SO, if anyone knows of anyone that has had experience retrofitting this part, please let me know! Thanks
BamaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Somerville , Alabama
Correction: that part number is 915778
Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
I bought a stock aluminum cover from a 2004 from a member here who was upgrading to 40 lb tanks. Fitted it to my '64. It looks and works good.

Ask here, someone else may be buying larger tanks and may sell their 30 lb tank cover.
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Somerville , Alabama
Walter1,
Thanks for the reply. The problem is that there are 4 "stock" tank covers used from 2004 on...of which, only one will fit correctly because of the placement of the tanks on the trailer.

dekew,
I was able to confirm with Airstream that part number 915778 is the correct one for our trailers! Attached is the engineering drawing for the part. Part 715723 (also attached) was used on some 22' trailers in 04, but was discontinued and replaced later with 915778.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DOC (109).pdf (74.7 KB, 336 views)
Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
How about aluminum

I bought our 22' used. I didn't know much about A/S then, but now I think that the one I got has some added options. It has 2 tanks up close to the electric jack with the aluminum cover over it. Behind the tank cover is two 12' batteries. I've always wondered how it ever got like that, since most 22' I have seen have a front end like yours.

Good luck on your trailer. Keep a close eye on the floor and for leaks. We have really enjoyed ours.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #10

1981 24' International
Torrance , California
Looking for 40 lp propane cover alumumn, used in good condition or new.
tauguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
This information is very helpful. Once again, the forum members come through. Thanks to all.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #12
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Hey BamaBill - we have a 2002 22' CCD - do you think that same cover will fit ours? 915778? As a side note, if you have not already learned, you gotta watch the back bumper water infiltration. We bought ours used and I ended up stripping everything and removing the floor, reinforcing the frame in several spots and putting it all back together. I chronicled most of the work here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...nt-163543.html
Old 09-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Somerville , Alabama
I did purchase an aluminum propane tank cover from a local airstream dealer that fit correctly.... I cannot confirm that part number. I remember calling the parts department and they told me which one was being used to fit on the 22' models. I'll look around and see if I can find the paperwork.

BTW... where do you think your trainer was leaking? i.e. do you believe that the water is getting in around the trim piece just above the bumper trey cover (where most folks keep the sewage pipe)? I have a 22" AS. Haven't had any leaks, but I have stored it inside since new. Also, I took mine back to Ohio in 2009 (maybe) and had the frame stiffeners installed... there was a factory recall at the time.

Good Luck,

Tags
2003, 2003 international, cover, international, propane, tank