Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
One week to go (?)

If everything works out according to plan, we should be trading in the 22' and picking up the new 25' CCD next Saturday. Then again I don't mind waiting an extra week (or more) if it means they put extra attention to detail at the factory. We do know that the exterior was done and it was outside at JC a week ago. We also know our start date was delayed because the factory has been very busy. Anyway we're going to get the 22' ready for a tow next weeked.

Ken
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Hi Ken:
Wow! I'm surprised you are getting another AS already. Why did you decide to make a change from your 22'?
Old 04-11-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
It was for the cats

Linda, We decided to trade up so we could bring the two cats along (reason#1). We don't want to board them and just didn't like the litter box options in the 22' trailer. Also after doing some dry camping last year, I decided I wanted dual batteries and bigger tanks (reason #2). Last but not least, we're thinking more and more about spending longer periods of time in the trailer. The 25' foot floor plan just fits better for us. Give me more time and I'll think up a few more... Oh yeah a very reasonable trade in value on the 22'.

Ken
Old 05-02-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Thumbs up Delivered!

Just wanted to complete this thread - We finally picked it up on Saturday. I'll post a more detailed review this week, but here's a quick one. Didn't leave the dealer without having the toliet gasket replaced. Ours came with the black tank flush system (built in April). Not sure if the tank monitoring panel is quite happy (could be me not having read the manual yet). Right after dumping the tanks, it still showed the black tank full (something to do with the tank flush I tried?). Wheel torque checks showed nothing loose. Did find some loose, and or missing hardware and also some of the usual CCD finish peculiarities. It's wide!! Almost wish the extending towing mirrors on the Silverado went a couple inches farther (I got spoiled on the 22'). Not a problem as it tows, turns and backs up, possibly better. The sub woofer sound system is better then expected. I'm now converted to couches (cold beer, kicked back between the speakers with my feet up...). Had a fun, but buggy night at Catalina State Park (Tucson). And another couple who had picked up a 22' Safari that same day at our dealer (plug for the guys at Oasis RV) ended up camping across from us, so the Airstreamers had heads turning. Did I mention it's wide?
Old 05-02-2004, 11:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Hey Ken! CONGRATS! Hope all is well with the new unit! Thanks for the news, tho I'm sure everybody is anxious to see some pictures asap!
Old 05-02-2004, 11:57 PM   #6
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thumbs up

Ken ... congrats on the new 25 CCD.

Let's see ... you went from a 22 .. to a 25 ... so when are you ordering a 28?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:01 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Hey Porky! Whatcha been up to? You're posts have become few and far. I figure you and Petunia are having a lot of fun full-time? How 'bout a regular update on your new trailer? All systems are cool I hope?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Congrats, Silverback!

Let's hope you have NO quality problems. Keep us posted.

Yea Porky, where are you now?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Let's see ... you went from a 22 .. to a 25 ... so when are you ordering a 28?
Porky, I/we (Mrs. Sivlerback is a co-conspirator) deserve that. The service advisor caught me looking at a (91?) 34' trailer someone had just towed into the dealership and said he'd give me a year before I ordered a 28' slide out. For now this is the limit of what I want to tow. Of course it's a funny thing how those comfort zones tend to expand.

Ken
Old 05-05-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

We went from 22 to 25 aswell and love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Ours came with the black tank flush system (built in April). Not sure if the tank monitoring panel is quite happy (could be me not having read the manual yet). Right after dumping the tanks, it still showed the black tank full (something to do with the tank flush I tried?). Wheel torque checks showed nothing loose. Did find some loose, and or missing hardware and also some of the usual CCD finish peculiarities. It's wide!! Did I mention it's wide?
By the way our 25 CCD's computer had (still has...) the same exact problem!!! We have taken it back to the dealer to get this problem fixed several times. Many parts were changed and various attempts were made but they were all unsuccessful.
We don't live close to the dealer and at the end of last season we had lost faith in them getting this problem fixed when they called us and told us that someone down at Jackson center had an idea on why this was happening:

Apparently Airstream must've calibrated the sensor in the black tank when it wasn't completely empty, so now it shows full immediately!!

The fix is simple: empty all tanks completely and re-calibrate the sensors.

Unfortunately we had winterized already so have not yet tried this solution. We've de-winterized last Sunday and don't plan in taking it back in to the dealer until the end of this season. We need to leave it there for some time since there are still several other things they did NOT repair as they should've...

Give it a try guys it may just be the right solution. Let us know!

Tags
2004 international