Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #29
Arr, we captain our ship!
 
Xray's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 535
Images: 44
Paul,

The fan blows to the outside - away from the fins.

Good job on the install.

X
__________________

Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
luckydc's Avatar
 
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 219
Images: 19
Thanks, X for the advice and the instructions. This thing is great.

I'll sleep well this weekend. Going to Cape May.

Have a good one.
__________________

__________________
Paul

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
rseagle's Avatar
 
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 663
Images: 33
Jay and Paul,

I've noticed that my Silenex fan fails to come on occasionally. I installed it with the Radio Shack 100 ohm 10 Watt resistor, just like you guys did. I know it's not running when I hear a subtle high pitched sound. At first, I thought it was the noise the fan made while running, however, I later discovered that it is trying and failing to start. When I go out and "finger" start it, the noise goes away and it is totally quiet. However, if it doesn't have the amperage to start then I guess I'll have to remove the resistor.

Are you guys experiencing the same "starting" problems with your Silenex fan/resister combo? Is there a smaller resistor that will offer the quietness, but not reduce the amperage so much that the fan fails to start?

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:03 PM   #32
Arr, we captain our ship!
 
Xray's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 535
Images: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Jay and Paul,

I've noticed that my Silenex fan fails to come on occasionally. I installed it with the Radio Shack 100 ohm 10 Watt resistor, just like you guys did. I know it's not running when I hear a subtle high pitched sound. At first, I thought it was the noise the fan made while running, however, I later discovered that it is trying and failing to start. When I go out and "finger" start it, the noise goes away and it is totally quiet. However, if it doesn't have the amperage to start then I guess I'll have to remove the resistor.

Are you guys experiencing the same "starting" problems with your Silenex fan/resister combo? Is there a smaller resistor that will offer the quietness, but not reduce the amperage so much that the fan fails to start?

Bob
Bob,

My setup like yours is working flawlessly and has been running on and off for over a month now. No problems.
__________________
X
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:01 AM   #33
Rivet Master
 
jordandvm's Avatar

 
2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 801
Images: 58
Fridge fan noise! Is it really the fan or the compressor???

Tonight, while prepping for our 1st rally in Sisters, OR, I was trying out my new generator (works great!), turned on the fridge to cool it down for the trip in two days and noticed the fridge fan was on. So for the first time I opened the fridge vent outside the A/S to see if all the noise was in fact coming from the fan.....and I don't think it's the fan making the noise....I believe it might be the compressor motor! Now all you who have replaced your fans and the noise went completely away...you probably had a noisy fan. But the noise inside is kind of a high pitched "whirrrrrr" (kinda like an air raid siren when it starts up), completely different from the fan noise outside. In fact I think the fan is pretty quiet. So do you think the fan noise can be vibrating through the fridge to the inside to cause a completely different sound? I was ready to order the SilenX fans recommended on the forums, but now I'm not sure!
Help!
Jim Jordan
__________________
Jim & Cheryl

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:31 AM   #34
Arr, we captain our ship!
 
Xray's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 535
Images: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Tonight, while prepping for our 1st rally in Sisters, OR, I was trying out my new generator (works great!), turned on the fridge to cool it down for the trip in two days and noticed the fridge fan was on. So for the first time I opened the fridge vent outside the A/S to see if all the noise was in fact coming from the fan.....and I don't think it's the fan making the noise....I believe it might be the compressor motor! Now all you who have replaced your fans and the noise went completely away...you probably had a noisy fan. But the noise inside is kind of a high pitched "whirrrrrr" (kinda like an air raid siren when it starts up), completely different from the fan noise outside. In fact I think the fan is pretty quiet. So do you think the fan noise can be vibrating through the fridge to the inside to cause a completely different sound? I was ready to order the SilenX fans recommended on the forums, but now I'm not sure!
Help!
Jim Jordan
Hi Jim,

I am using a single SilenX and resistor as installed according the instructions earlier in this thread.

Quote:
SilenX 120mm 11 dBA Fan now $32.00
Part number: 0000375
http://www.eastluna.com/hardware/det...ProductID=0375
Quote:
The SilenX was STILL too noisy for my liking so I went down to Radio Shack and bought a 100 Ohm 10 Watt resistor (part #271-135 - around a dollar) and spliced into the fan's red power line.
I have to stick my head to the outside upper fridge vent in order to tell if the fan is running, it is so quiet now. It is barely audible. I can't hear it from inside the coach.

The original fan was very loud inside and could be your problem. I was surprised at how loud it was. And, it runs almost all the time while the fridge is on (A/C or propane). I would disconnect the fan and see if the noise disappears... I had to switch fans out of necessity. I wouldn't have been able to sleep.

There are no compressors in our fridges so that can't be it. In fact, other than the fan, there are no moving parts required to cool your fridge. On my 22' CCD, I hear nothing but crickets at night now. It was probably the best upgrade I've done so far...

Please let us know what you find.

Best regards and have a great trip!
__________________
X
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member
 
2006 19' International CCD
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 65
Images: 2
sorry to bring back an old thread....
i just received this fan in the mail today (after reviewing this thread).
i noticed it has a 3 prong connector or a 4 prong connector.
is this plug and play or do i need to splice these wires when i remove the old fan?
thanks in advance!
ericwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
BradS's Avatar
 
2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 529
Images: 14
I did the fan modification a couple years back and I had to splice the wire from the new fan into the existing wiring. I used 2 fans and I am very happy with the results
__________________
My 57 Overlander thread ( Holly is her name)
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f97/...eak-62257.html

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
drew05's Avatar
 
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 505
Are these fan noise issues common to all A/S, or just certain models or sizes?
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member
 
TankerIP's Avatar
 
2002 22' International
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 220
I think the old airstreams had a vent up the side through the roof to let the heat from the frig heat exchanger rise through the top. But, the newer models that don't have that roof vent need some help to get the heat out....so, they use fans. I'm guessing almost all models have them.

I haven't searched for a quieter fan yet, but, it certainly can get irritating.

I remember in the old days, I had a Pinnacle MH whose frig needed help even with the roof vent. When parked, I would put a small 7" house fan in the side to get more airflow. It really made a difference to make that frig cool down.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 97
Images: 6
No More Refer Cooling Fan Noise ... Period

Look up GentleTyphoon 120mm Silent Case Fan Series D1225C12B 1450,1850 and 4250 RPM. Order the 1850 RPM unit and never look back. Using the factory brackets, I simply cut some shims out of plastic rain gutter spreaders to compensate for the thinner unit. I kept it outboard, close to the louvers. Install was simple. Finally, NO more Noise ... period! I'm out $19.50 & about $5 shipping. The install took about 1/2 hour, because I had to make the shims and sip a Coke.

The main difference is high volume, slower RPM with what feels like more air, and double ball bearings. When I showed Nancy, she had to put her ear up to the louvers to hear it run. The manufacturer will answer any questions that you may have. See how far you can throw that old fan! Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:01 AM   #40
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,394
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwarren View Post
sorry to bring back an old thread....
i just received this fan in the mail today (after reviewing this thread).
i noticed it has a 3 prong connector or a 4 prong connector.
is this plug and play or do i need to splice these wires when i remove the old fan?
thanks in advance!
You only need two of the wires, so I cut off the connector. Of the three wires, one is +, one is -, and the other is for speed control (which you will not use).
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 97
Images: 6
I am not sure if I commented to this particular group or not. Contact the coolerguys.com and tell them your story. Our fan drove us nuts, until the pressed bearing finally gave way, the impellers (fan) slipped off center, and the darned thing finally died. We replaced it with a 120 mm Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM cooling fan from GentleTyphoon 120mm Silent Case Fan Series D1225C12B 1450,1850 and 4250 RPM. It is very quiet and really moves the air. I tested it on a hot day and am so pleased that I recommend it highly. You can call them for personal help. When it is running, it is barely perceptible, soundwise. The AS factory fan sounded like mower running.
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member
 
2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 105
Hi, just bought the fan but which wire is positive and which is negative? And which goes to the fins on the fan and which goes to white power wire? Thanks for your help!!!!
__________________

bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2004 international


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noisy refrigerator fan Turtle 1997 - 2004 Bambi 9 06-03-2004 04:45 PM
Furnace Fan qbee Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 4 01-30-2004 06:41 PM
Loud range hood fan lbrodsky 2001 Safari 5 09-26-2003 07:08 AM
Larger Fan Blades in top Vent Sav'h Steve Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 5 07-09-2003 06:35 PM
Exhaust Fan Cat Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 1 10-04-2002 11:44 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.