Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Need help from someone who owns a 22' CCD already.

22' CCD owners. We need some help while we wait for delivery of ours. We are replacing some of the "vinyl" roll-up shades and would like an image of the bracket so we can compare to what we are thinking of ordering to see if they are the same.

Why, praytell, are you replacing the shades, you might ask? We're goofy! We hate the smell of the vinyl and are changing out the mattress and the shower curtain too. We'll have to live with the flooring for now...

Any assistance would be most appreciated!!!!

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Sorta reply!

I have a 19' CCD BlueStreak on order and am eagerly awaiting delivery (due about 6/1/04). We didn't actually walk through a 19', as they sold the units before we could view them. We did view the 16' CCD's and 22' CCD's, and realy like the CCD look! We currently have an RV show in our city this weekend (Corvallis, OR), and tonight after work I went out to visit the show. George M Sutton RV (GMSRV) had some 22' CCD's at the show, so I walked into the unit (no reps available to talk to). I pulled the blind over the kitchen sink, and I couldn't retract the blind after multiple attempts. I'm not sure what the problem was, as the other blinds pulled down(and up) just fine. I am in agreement that the blinds are Blah colorwise! My wife was not with me for her comments, but I'm sure she would have some thoughts on the blinds....not what she would have picked! What are you thinking of replacing with? .... levolours?, pull curtains? Are you making the curtains? I'm sorry I'm not your average 22' CCD owner, but am reconsidering my 19' CCD order to upgrade order to a 22' CCD (if possible). My wife doesn't like the look of the Safari (esp the front window).

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 06:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

You live in Corvallis! Nice. Would enjoy talking to you about your town. Our 22' went into production this week. Hope to have her in a few weeks...

The original pull downs are pretty bad, in our opinion. We're going to replace with pull downs from Smith+Noble. They make a variety. I got the exact sizes from Andrea at AS and, if we have to, we are just going to replace the vinyl portion of the originals - unless, of course, the blind brackets are the same. That's why I was looking for a pic.

Hope to cross paths.

X
Old 03-27-2004, 07:14 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I can't answer the question of the blinds, but like to share a few observations if that's ok about our recent upgrade from 19' to 25'. We seriously considered the 22' when we made our decision to upgrade.

Here is why we went with the 25' rather than the 22':

1) Didn't care for the wet bath

2) Didn't like the bedroom up front (too many car lights and sound up front--rear bed was a bit better in that regard we felt from our camping exp)

3) Did not like how the streetside wheelwell took up half the leg room under the dinette.

4) Did not like the bathroom right next to the kitchen (but did love the vast amount of counter space).

5) Total interior space was something like this in each unit (remember we did own a 2003 Bambi)

19' Bambi- approx 16' of interior space
25' Safari- approx 22' of interior space
22' Safari or CCD (based on past figures) would be approx 19'

6) Didn't like that the tanks were 12v heated compared to ducted forced air.

7) Didn't like that the 22' (not sure if the same on the CCD version) only has one 12v battery and the tanks get heated off that one battery when it gets cold out. Two batteries would have been a better thing IMHO, especially if the tank heaters are gonan have to run off it and you are boondocking.

8) The GVWR difference between the 22' CCD and the 25' CCD is only about 700lbs, but storage goes up 3 fold and you get larger tanks (except the black tank the 22' has 4 more gallons), two batteries, more space, etc.

9) You get a seperate freezer and fridge in the 25' whereas on the 22' and smaller you get one fridge with the freezer box inside the fridge.

10) Price was only about $7k more (retail) for the 25' vs. the 22'.

Although we didn't get a CCD, for us, we found these compelling reasons to go with the 25' C over the 22' as $7k if you finance, is only a few dollars more per month. If you don't finance, $7k is a cheap upgrade now rather than take the depreciation hit and then get a new coach later should you again want to upgrade. This is not to say that the 22' is not a very nice unit...these were just our reasons for not going with it. For other folks, the list of the shortcomings of the 25' (and there are a few as well) might exceed those of the 22'....I just wanted to share why we did what we did when we went through what you find yourself at right now.

Hope this helps...BTW..Sutton RV is really IMHO a top notch dealer. Not looking to buy, I emailed George on some errors I found with his website. He personally responded and was great about the feedback. Nothing but class.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Twink,

You got an opinion about everything on these forums don't you?

Diversity makes this country a wonderful place. Nice to have the input.

X
Old 03-27-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, you know what they say...opinions are like behinds (edited for content), everyones got one!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
So, Xray, when do we get to see a picture of your blinds from Smith & Noble? Have you upgraded yet? How much did they cost? Have you taken any new trips this spring?
We are planning our first rally to Sisters, OR in July. Should be interesting. Didn't you say you were coming throught Oregon in May or June? We have some friends who live in Sante Fe....a broker with Merrill Lynch...CT Herman....he used to be the head broker...do you know him (very popular guy)? Would be fun to return to Sante Fe, since I'm really into art, and the popular things to do there are "eat" and "gallery hop"!
Would be a fun trip to take our 22' CCD down "South" this winter, since my wife and I hope to be retired by end of Sept.

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 12-19-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Blinds for a CCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
So, Xray, when do we get to see a picture of your blinds from Smith & Noble? Have you upgraded yet? How much did they cost? Have you taken any new trips this spring?
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna buy myself a 22' CCD for Christmas.

I started sewing when I was 3 (mom caught me playing with her machine and thought it was safer to teach me than try to contain me) but this is a trick that requires almost no sewing skills.

If I decide I don't like the vinyl blinds, I'd just replace the vinyl with fabric. Using the same rollers would mean not having to replace the fixtures, a big plus! You can get "iron on interfacing" from any fabric store, either light filtering or room darkening. Then select a fabric you like - choose something lightweight - and cut it slightly wider and about six inches longer than the finished length of the window blind. Iron on the backing following the directions. Most important part - let it cool before you pick it up or move it. Use a straight edge and a rolling cutter you also get at the fabric shop to trim the right and left edges to the exact width. The edges won't ravel and there will be no mismatch between the fabric and backing if you allow for and trim off about 1/4 inch on either side. Fold the bottom edge over 3/8 of an inch and iron a crease, fold a pocket for the stick about 1 1/2 inches deep and sew it together with heavy thread (or unwaxed dental floss which will last forever if your machine will handle it) and slide in the stick from the old vinyl. If the stick is rivited to the vinyl, drill it out carefully - it's a woosie little rivit by Airstream standards. I fold the pocket to the outside, but you can fold to the inside especially if you want to put something decorative over the edge. Staple the top edge of the fabric to the roller. Adjust the roller tension and Voila!

Our local fabric stores have a lot of "retro" prints in stock right now - Hawaiian shirt prints, 50's cars, etc. so you could go really wild! I'd probably keep it simple with a tone on tone white stripe. But then....I saw some very glittery silver lame' quilted fabric which could work, but that would be a curtain project rather than a blind.

I'm also planning on making a big round bolster to stow my duvet, pillows, and other bedding in. I'll also make a very fitted mattress cover out of cotton canvas or some other washable upholstery type fabric (velcro and elastic are our friends). Put the big bolster back by the windows, add a few oversized throw pillows and voila I have a couch rather than an obvious bed. Nice when I want to entertain or use as my remote office.

Someone on another thread asked what to do to make the dinette more comfortable as a bed. Get an "egg crate" foam mattress cover. Every medical supply house in the country has them or you may have one if you've spent an overnight in a hospital lately. Lay this over the cushions bumpy side up and put on a sheet. Should really help. PS - benefit if you have small children. Accidents are unlikely to penetrate the foam. It's a lot cheaper to throw away the foam then the seat cushions.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Paula I can't wait to see your finished shades

I was thinking along the same lines about making pillows and bedspread and covering the shades with fabric had we gotten or should we ever get a CCD possibly even using the same shade, or perhaps getting designer shades custom ordered. Please show us pictures. I know they will be inspiring to many. Enjoy that holiday present to yourself, be sure to get a really big tree to put it under!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord

I started sewing when I was 3 (mom caught me playing with her machine and thought it was safer to teach me than try to contain me) but this is a trick that requires almost no sewing skills.

If I decide I don't like the vinyl blinds, I'd just replace the vinyl with fabric. Using the same rollers would mean not having to replace the fixtures, a big plus! You can get "iron on interfacing" from any fabric store, either light filtering or room darkening. Then select a fabric you like - choose something lightweight - and cut it slightly wider and about six inches longer than the finished length of the window blind. Iron on the backing following the directions. Most important part - let it cool before you pick it up or move it. Use a straight edge and a rolling cutter you also get at the fabric shop to trim the right and left edges to the exact width. The edges won't ravel and there will be no mismatch between the fabric and backing if you allow for and trim off about 1/4 inch on either side. Fold the bottom edge over 3/8 of an inch and iron a crease, fold a pocket for the stick about 1 1/2 inches deep and sew it together with heavy thread (or unwaxed dental floss which will last forever if your machine will handle it) and slide in the stick from the old vinyl. If the stick is rivited to the vinyl, drill it out carefully - it's a woosie little rivit by Airstream standards. I fold the pocket to the outside, but you can fold to the inside especially if you want to put something decorative over the edge. Staple the top edge of the fabric to the roller. Adjust the roller tension and Voila!

Our local fabric stores have a lot of "retro" prints in stock right now - Hawaiian shirt prints, 50's cars, etc. so you could go really wild! I'd probably keep it simple with a tone on tone white stripe. But then....I saw some very glittery silver lame' quilted fabric which could work, but that would be a curtain project rather than a blind.

I'm also planning on making a big round bolster to stow my duvet, pillows, and other bedding in. I'll also make a very fitted mattress cover out of cotton canvas or some other washable upholstery type fabric (velcro and elastic are our friends). Put the big bolster back by the windows, add a few oversized throw pillows and voila I have a couch rather than an obvious bed. Nice when I want to entertain or use as my remote office.

Someone on another thread asked what to do to make the dinette more comfortable as a bed. Get an "egg crate" foam mattress cover. Every medical supply house in the country has them or you may have one if you've spent an overnight in a hospital lately. Lay this over the cushions bumpy side up and put on a sheet. Should really help. PS - benefit if you have small children. Accidents are unlikely to penetrate the foam. It's a lot cheaper to throw away the foam then the seat cushions.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
I'm also planning on making a big round bolster to stow my duvet, pillows, and other bedding in. I'll also make a very fitted mattress cover out of cotton canvas or some other washable upholstery type fabric (velcro and elastic are our friends). Put the big bolster back by the windows, add a few oversized throw pillows and voila I have a couch rather than an obvious bed. Nice when I want to entertain or use as my remote office. .
Congrats on your decision....it's a good one!!

Some thoughts (may or may not be a concern) on your ideas . You may have to be kinda careful when you put things (big bolster) back by the window behind the bed over the front.... the window screens over the window may not take the pressure over time and may stretch, loosen, or tear if undue pressure is placed on them.

One of the things I don't like about our 22' CCD is there is no couch. Since we do not use the dinette as a bed, I've wondered if the dinette could be made into a couch by putting the table down into the bed configuration with some extra large pillows. I do miss a couch in our 22', so would like some input as to how this could be accomplished!! Has anyone done this? Pics would be nice!

The bed is also a tad small and harder to crawl over your bed partner when nature calls. We've changed our foam mattress out for a stiffer foam and added 2" memory foam topper to it. This has helped.

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 12-19-2004, 05:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
You may have to be kinda careful when you put things (big bolster) back by the window behind the bed over the front.... the window screens over the window may not take the pressure over time and may stretch, loosen, or tear if undue pressure is placed on them.

One of the things I don't like about our 22' CCD is there is no couch. Since we do not use the dinette as a bed, I've wondered if the dinette could be made into a couch by putting the table down into the bed configuration with some extra large pillows. I do miss a couch in our 22', so would like some input as to how this could be accomplished!! Has anyone done this? Pics would be nice!

The bed is also a tad small and harder to crawl over your bed partner when nature calls. We've changed our foam mattress out for a stiffer foam and added 2" memory foam topper to it. This has helped.
Jim
Good thoughts all. I generally like an innerspring better than a foam mattress and there's a local factory where I can have one made to size for a reasonable amount. I thought of having it made in 2 sections - one 36 inches wide and the second with the curved corners that fit against the skin 12 inches wide. I could have them so they velcro together in either the flat position or in the upright position (prickly side on the front of the 12 inch piece. Fuzzy side on the back of the front section AND on the back top of the front section. I'd probably need a piece of plywood on hinges that could be pulled upright leaning about 10 degrees back, and braced from behind against the bed's base.

As for the dinette idea, I don't see why it wouldn't work. just get a cushion in the shape of the table and add back rest pillows, either home made or purchased. Perhaps even a twin sized inflatable mattress would be useful.

One thought - about storage. If you use down or fiberfill for pillows they can be squished in "space bags" and will come back well. I don't think solid pieces of foam will compress that well, or if they do, I think the foam would break down fairly quickly. Feathers and down do require an inner and an outer case, Fiber fill especially when bought in pillow shapes only needs to have the fabric sewed around. Don't forget to make shams to cover your bed pillows so you can use them as couch cushions. Simple method: Cut the front to be 1 inch bigger than the length & width of your pillow, cut two back sections - each 1 inch wider and two thirds of the length of the pillow. Fold over the raw edge on the back pieces and hem them. Lay the front piece down face up. Place the back pieces face down on the front piece with the top piece overlapping the pieces so that the top will overlap the bottom when the pieces are turned right side out. Sew around the edges... (if you want to get fancy you can sew lace, fringe, a ruffle or piping on the front piece first - point it inward - then sew on the back. Turn right side out and voila - you have a sham that doesn't require a zipper and will easily allow you to cram in your sleeping pillow.

Last thought - about the vista view and the bed. Perhaps some pillows or a bolster are a GOOD idea. I wouldn't want to wake up with my butt plastered to a window. When I was in college my boyfriend and I were eating pizza while seated at a table directly in front of a plate glass window. We were "greeted" as was then the fad - by what can only be described as a "pressed ham under glass MOON." The boyfriend was a volunteer police cadet so the police made a big show of "investigating!" Everybody was cracking up when one of the officers pulled his brush and graphite out and tried to take a "print"! I just wanted to see the inkpad they'd use at the station to take comparison prints to ID the suspects.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Clarkston , Michigan
Blinds

I have a 22' 2003 CCD and it came with metal levolr "style" blinds. They have little plastic pieces that hold the blinds in place when down. The holders aren't very durable, but you can get 'em at any dealer. I imagine you can get the metal blinds as well.
Skinner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
22' CCD owners. We need some help while we wait for delivery of ours. We are replacing some of the "vinyl" roll-up shades and would like an image of the bracket so we can compare to what we are thinking of ordering to see if they are the same.

Why, praytell, are you replacing the shades, you might ask? We're goofy! We hate the smell of the vinyl and are changing out the mattress and the shower curtain too. We'll have to live with the flooring for now...

Any assistance would be most appreciated!!!!

X
my dear ccd owner. forget your shade problem..you have real problems down the road with that model. i have owned mine now for 3 yrs and had to have the entire frame repaced and on the "new" frame it is cracking in a number of places. there is a very serious design problem with that new frame. inspect your frame or have it inspected, if you don't have cracks in it now, you will have.
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
This is the first I've heard of frame problems with the 22' CCD (see Don Gubrud's post). Since that is the model we have, I'm curious whether or not other forum members are having problems with frames cracking on this CCD model. To be sure I'll check our frame soon. I've also heard rumors of axle and/or wheel well problems with 22' CCDs. Anyone know the scoop on this?
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 AM   #15
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
As you can tell from our signature, we have a '03 22 International AS. We've got Levolour through out and they are great. The mechanisms are behind Valences and they have bottom hooks that keep them from rattling around.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international