Old 09-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #1

2003 22' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Moth Infestation

We parked our 2003 International in the Sacramento Mountains for the summer; when we returned we were surprised to find hundreds of moths ('millers') inside the RV. We have been fighting them ever since- it is now September and we have returned the RV to Texas where they will hopefully bake in the 100-degree heat. Does anybody have any experience with this or advice they can share? Thanks in advance...

Ken and Bev

kross999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross999 View Post
We parked our 2003 International in the Sacramento Mountains for the summer; when we returned we were surprised to find hundreds of moths ('millers') inside the RV. We have been fighting them ever since- it is now September and we have returned the RV to Texas where they will hopefully bake in the 100-degree heat. Does anybody have any experience with this or advice they can share? Thanks in advance...

Ken and Bev
You will probably find that if you clean out everything (and I mean all boxes like sandwich wrap and aluminum foil, and zip locks) you will find moth larva in the nooks and crannies and in the boxes). Put EVERYTHING in large garbage bags in the sun to kill the larva, and then dispose of them). Then once the AS is literally empty, start looking at all removable shelves and any small nooks and crannies they can be hiding in and use a shop vac to try to extract them. I went through our pantry at one of our homes three times including throwing out everything except canned goods, trying to get rid of the moths, and on the final go round after practically sterilizing a completely empty pantry, I caulked every seam on every shelf that I could not remove, that did it. If you still have problems and "baking" does not work, you are left with fumigation I guess.

SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:16 AM   #3

2003 22' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Thank you SYC2Vette

I'm happy to report that the Texas sun helped us achieve what we could not on our own. Not to say that I'm happy about triple-digit readings in October but the little buggers must have either flown the coop or they are toasted and rotting away in the refrigerator compartment. Or somewhere...

In any event- I plan to take the A/S to a dealer and get some screens put in to keep that from happening again... before we return to our mountain getaway next summer. Thanks for the advice-

Ken/Bev
kross999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross999 View Post

Ken and Bev
I am afraid that screens will only keep them inside. Some people call them pantry moths. You bring them (the eggs) home from the grocery store in dry goods like flour, corn meal, bulk spices, grains, crackers, bird seed, pet food, etc. almost anything dry can have them lying in wait.
2 ways I know of to prevent an infestation is to kill the eggs by freezing the product or microwaving a few seconds. I like to freeze things that will fit in the freezer for a few days before putting it on the shelf for use.
I here placing a Bay Leaf in the open package also in and around the pantry helps to keep them away or prevent the eggs from hatching into larva then the moths.

Always good to empty the entire trailer of "dry goods" before you leave or store the trailer for a while.

Good Luck,
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote