Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Texas Kicker CCD28

2005 28' International CCD
Moreland , Georgia
Is the bed in a 22' ccd Intl too small?

Is there anyone out there with a Intl 22' ccd that could help with a question about the bed? I love the small size and easy towing, but my wife doesn't like the size of the bed - 72" x 48". She says it is too, too narrow. Can anyone give me advice or tips about the bed? Is there a way to make it larger? Would appreciate advice.
Art Mathis
amathis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I agree with your wife. Not only is it too narrow, but one person has to crawl over the other to get up at night.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

We have almost that exact size bed in our '87 25' Sovereign. We find it to be just fine.

However:

1. Although 5'9" and 5'11", neither of us are "wide in the beam".
2. We are accustomed to a standard, full size bed at home, so it is not much of a change.
3. We both invariably get up at the same time in the night anyway.

My biggest gripe is that it is harder to make up. But even that has become routine with practice.

But if your wife thinks it is too narrow now, it sure isn't going to get any wider. You risk discovering that it is plenty wide enough to sleep alone!

Take a look at the 25' Classic, Safari, or CCD. Queen beds!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Depends ...

... a lot on you personally. In our case, yes, the CCD bed would be too small. Not only the size of the bed, but also the proximity of objects adjacent to the bed matters. In the case of the CCD, all but the aisle area are blocked by vertical surfaces. This means you can't "hang over an edge a bit for more room; it also means a lot of one person crawling over the other at night.

We had a bed 4" wider in our 22' International with one side and part of the foot clear of obstructions. We found that bed to be quite comfortable although we have a queen at home. There was still the "crawling over" problem, but that was minimized by a bit of clearance at the foot.

Our present 25 Classic has a queen bed with clearance all around. That's the best of all with no crawling over the other person.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I have a 22' CCD. While I would always like a wider bed, this is what was available in the 22' CCD. That was the length and floorplan I wanted for the use I had in mind. For towing and Boondocking in small National Forest campgrounds, it's adequate.
I'm a big guy, 6' and 250#. My wife is 5'-3". Her weight is 150#. She let me say that! We've gotten used to it for the 2-14 day trips. The kids sleep on the dinette bed. It's OK for our needs. But it's not a full timer rig!

How are you going to use your trailer? Where will you be parking? What are you willing to pay? Have you considered the 22' Safari with the 52" bed?

For full timing in spacious RV parks, I agree with Maurice, a 34' will give you more room, comfort and a larger bed. But for a larger price. For weekends and vacations, a 22' or even smaller units seem to have always been popular.

Hope you get the one that best suits you and your family.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

We sleep three (our Jack Russell always sleeps with us too) and I am more comfortable in the CCD's bed than at home... Go figure. Our last A/S was a vintage Caravel and the CCD is great in comparison.

My wife wouldn't even consider any other model. She better enjoy it! I've heard no complaints.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
My favorite Classic floorplan has always been the traditional 25 layout, available as the Safari 25 W for $41,303. Probably the best compromise if boondocking or state parks are the target. I just wish it had the "writing" (laptop computer) table next to the door, and the Classic windows, of course. Honestly, we've always had the curtains bunched up over the ends of the wider wraparound front window, so not having it up front is no biggie to me.

If you have kids and need the sofa as a bed, it's easy to make up. Before pulling it out, put the corners of the fitted sheet on the back, then pull it out.

Granted, it doesn't have a dinette, but you can eat on the fold-out table... or better yet, outside, if insects and weather permit.

At any rate, it's worth a look, and a coupla thousand less than the much smaller 22 CCD. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
My favorite Classic floorplan has always been the traditional 25 layout, available as the Safari 25 W for $41,303. Probably the best compromise if boondocking or state parks are the target. I just wish it had the "writing" (laptop computer) table next to the door, and the Classic windows, of course..
I have to agree about the Safari 25 plan. I love the CCDs but don't care too much for the plans other than the 28.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
bed size

My hubby and I are also 6' and 5'3'' (but I'm not telling my weight) We had the 25' SS and I think the bed is about the same size if not a few inches wider than in the CCD. I love the floorplans for day use in the CCD and SS but for sleeping and dressing and using the bath it was tight. My husband absolutely did not like the confining space or having to crawl over each other. We sleep much more comfortably now and needn't step on each other's legs and ankles and feet, no elbows, or pinching. (Gee I was brutal )

Quote:
Originally Posted by amathis50
Is there anyone out there with a Intl 22' ccd that could help with a question about the bed? I love the small size and easy towing, but my wife doesn't like the size of the bed - 72" x 48". She says it is too, too narrow. Can anyone give me advice or tips about the bed? Is there a way to make it larger? Would appreciate advice.
Art Mathis

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Art,

It looks like the only way to increase the size of the bed is to reduce the size of the wardrobe and nightstand. If I remember correctly, the wardrobe and nightstand are composed of curved laminates though, and that might be tricky to redo, but not impossible. You might call the factory and ask if they can do it, and what it would cost.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hybrid CCD/Safari

Sounds like some of the new models coming out might just be the ticket for those who don't like the 22ft CCD bed.

If I should have a gentleman caller sharing quarters, I plan to use him, then dump him on the dinette bed! (What's a man good for? 20 minutes if you are very lucky!)

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
Craftsman

Pauls, Paula ,Paula......... we're always good to have around to fix things.

Jack
Old 01-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Our Safari 25ss has a 52" wide bed - it is narrow. IMHO 48" is too narrow!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
In our '67 Tradewind our bed was that size. My wife actually solved the problem by making me sleep on the floor. Our dog was not happy with me sleeping there with him so he now sleeps on the bed with my wife & for some reason she seems ok with that arrangement.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
In our '67 Tradewind our bed was that size. My wife actually solved the problem by making me sleep on the floor. Our dog was not happy with me sleeping there with him so he now sleeps on the bed with my wife & for some reason she seems ok with that arrangement.
LOL!

Like DMac said, we too have a Safari SS with the larger bed in the back. We came from a Bambi that had a similar size bed to your 22'. Though it is an improvement, 4" still makes for some cozy sleeping arrangments.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
Sounds like some of the new models coming out might just be the ticket for those who don't like the 22ft CCD bed.

If I should have a gentleman caller sharing quarters, I plan to use him, then dump him on the dinette bed! (What's a man good for? 20 minutes if you are very lucky!)

Paula
OUCH!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Twin beds...

When we re-did the Overlander we changed from the "double" to the twin bed layout. We talked alot about the double vs twin. The twins were more practical, you could walk between them rather than around the double. Our bathroom is in the rear.
We did not want to wake each other at night by crawling over each other. My wife will have a 12v electric blanket on her side. My twin will be a little wider just because the Overlander bathroom door is a little to the side.
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I sounds like Paula is going to get alot of attention at the rallies!

But don't come a knockin' if the trailer is a rockin'!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
22' CCD bed comfort

After several trips in our CCD, we decided that the bed was the biggest hurdle to a comfortable trip! To turn over in bed you have to stay in the same place and roll over (quite a feat to accomplish on a soft foam bed)! So we thought that if we stiffened up the bed it would help. We had a stiffer foam cut to fit and inserted in the mattress pad. We also added a 2" memory foam topper (about $500 for the whole upgrade). This helped tremendously. We still have to crawl over each other, but at least it's easier now that the mattress is firmer! Length is not a problem at all. I've heard it can be more comfortable and actually have more room if you sleep reverse (head to toe) with your partner. This presumes you are wider in the shoulders and waist than you are in your legs. In our case, we have a Travasak, which is zippered bedding, and this arrangement would not work in our instance.
We are going to try another season in our 22' CCD, as we love the rest of the arrangement. If it becomes too onerous to navigate the bed, we will certainly upgrade!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:47 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Sleeping head to tow, while efficient packing, seems like a good way to get a foot in the face in the middle of the night

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 international