Old 10-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
How to replace a window??

We're on the road and headed home. Last night the roadside front window on our 2004 International CCD 28' broke.

So, can I order and replace a window myself? Looks like the window should come with pre-drilled holes and would be reattached by using the two bolts on the hinge at the top and the bolts on the "window opener arms". Is the labor as straight forward as it appears?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-513223105.png
Views:	111
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	142142   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1980214075.png
Views:	103
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	142143  

UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Anyone that's replaced a window have any thoughts/advice? Just wanting to be sure I'll be okay just ordering the window and installing myself. It's a long way to my nearest Airstream dealer.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
We're on the road and headed home. Last night the roadside front window on our 2004 International CCD 28' broke.

So, can I order and replace a window myself? Looks like the window should come with pre-drilled holes and would be reattached by using the two bolts on the hinge at the top and the bolts on the "window opener arms". Is the labor as straight forward as it appears?

Thanks
It's so easy even a caveman could do it...
Jst lift the window way up, silde the J hinge in, lower it carefully, maki9ng sure the J hinge is seated in the frame. Attach the lift arms, and close and latch the window. Piece of cake.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not being a caveman, it was not a piece of cake for me. A window that looks like yours broke on our way home from the dealer because one of the latches was not tight enough. The immediate solution was a garbage bag and duct tape. I ordered a new window and when it arrived found that you do not remove the metal part from the window as I thought originally, but you slide the whole thing out. There were 2 C channels—one on the body and one on the replacement window. I can see how to Terry they are J channels (he may use a different alphabet), but the result is the same.

They slide together and act as a hinge, a cheap hinge instead of a real one. The problem for me was they didn't fit right and the window wouldn't close easily though I got it to close. The dealer tried to fix it and removed the rain guard above the window and never replaced all the rivets—left out half of them. I put sheet metal screws in temporarily. Some time later I was at JC and they made it fit better, put in the right rivets, but it has never closed easily.

Perhaps the channel on the body was bent when the OEM window broke, or perhaps the channel on the replacement was bent. I tried to straighten both with just enough success to get it in. This was not a lot of fun because the longer I worked with it, the heavier the window got. There is also the anxiety attached to the thought of dropping the window and remembering what it cost. Airstream eventually paid for the window because it was a latch, not a glass, problem.

So, yes you can do it. It hopefully will be a piece of cake. Make sure the latches are adjusted properly to close tightly and now we check the latches from time to time to make sure they are all tight.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Thanks guys. I ordered the window (expensive!). Hopefully I can get it in there without making a mess of things.

Gene, you brought my attention to the latches and I now realize they can be tightened ... I will adjust all of them!

FWIW, our window broke when my wife was trying to open it for some fresh Fall air. It was sticking and it exploded/popped/shattered. I guess I'd better keep all the window gaskets lubed so the glass doesn't stick so bad.

Just to clarify on installation .... does the existing hinge come out and I slide an entirely new (and attached) hinge in? The dealer did mention a new hinge was attached to the new glass but gave no guidance.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I can relate. Our main door lock failed while over-nighting in Valdosta on our way to Disney back in July (locked us in the coach) and we needed to get out of the trailer. As soon as I turned the window locking levers to begin opening the window, it shattered into a trillion pieces (1/2 of them in the bedroom). Still finding glass...

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Window.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	142315  
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
I can relate. Our main door lock failed while over-nighting in Valdosta on our way to Disney back in July (locked us in the coach) and we needed to get out of the trailer. As soon as I turned the window locking levers to begin opening the window, it shattered into a trillion pieces (1/2 of them in the bedroom). Still finding glass...

-Chris

Scarey,,I hope thats not a common problem.

Sorry to the three of you on the window loss.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Just to clarify on installation .... does the existing hinge come out and I slide an entirely new (and attached) hinge in? The dealer did mention a new hinge was attached to the new glass but gave no guidance.
The old J hinge (part that is attached to the window) comes out, and the new window will come with a new hinge. To remove, rotate the part that's still in the frame waaayyy up, and it will fall out. The new window should slip right in if you put it waaayyyy up like the old hinge part you took out.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mine was the same as Terry describes it whatever the letter assigned to the "hinge".

It doesn't slide out now that I remember it, but I had to raise the window not quite to parallel with the ground.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Gene and Terry, I genuinely appreciate you sharing instructions. My new window should arrive within the week and I'll let you know how it goes.

Chris, my window is tiny (19" x 22") and the screen kept most of the glass outside the trailer ... I can only imagine the mess your big window made (especially if you had the screen removed).
Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Well, installing this replacement window took less than 10 minutes. I had no idea it would be so easy. The hardware came attached to the window. It was literally as easy as putting the hinge in the groove as you guys said. Then I just reattached arms and locked the window. The only painful aspect was coughing up $170 (part and shipping). Overall it was a piece of cake!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1098161370.png
Views:	80
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	142621  
Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Glad it worked better for you than me.