Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
'Stream

2003 22' International
CAMARILLO , California
How do you protect carpeting in 22' AS?

How have you dealt with keeping the tan carpeting clean in the 22' AS? I love the warmth of the carpeting. We kept the factory plastic protective covering on it until we couldnt stand to look at it any more. We tried throw rugs but they moved around and curled. We are thinking about cleaning the carpet and putting the protective plastic sheeting on it again. It's like my mom covering her white sofa with plastic cover. Thanks in advance.
MyParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We use the throw rugs. True, they move around and must be repositioned frequeantly, but they work for us. We also purchased plastic runners that we put down during wet weather. They also move around, but again work on a temporary basis to keep things clean.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We don't have the carpeted floor in our CCD, but we have some really nice rugs that we want to stay clean - so, we don't wear outdoor shoes inside. It works and once a year, a good cleaning with a carpet cleaning machine is in order.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Put down more protective plastic sheeting...or, IMHO use the A/S and enjoy it. Remove shoes at the door. Clean the carpet when necessary and replace it in 10 years or whenever it becomes necessary.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use a couple of rubber-backed bath mats on the tan carpet in the bedroom in our 25FB. We also use an outdoor hemp mat at the inside of the door. We also use a plastic grass mat outside at the bottom of the steps. We try to wipe our feet well upon entry. This system seems to work well for us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I agree with Moose tags. The rubber backed rugs work pretty good. We also use a calfskin rug that works pretty well too. Our tan carpet has stayed really clean after 2 years, even with our big yellow Lab. I think we have shampooed it twice.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Carpets

I've only been to a few Airstream Rallies and have watched people who wanted to tour my unit automatically slip off their shoes outside.

That was a courtesy I never thought of or expected, but is greatly appreciated.

I'm a loyal Airstream customer, but that doormat they furnish is useless except perhaps as a place to put your shoes as you remove them upon entering. My sneakers pick up gravel, grit and mud by the cupful - so I use an outdoor mat that's synthetic grass, a big cushy bathmat right inside the door, and I slip out of my shoes and into socks or moccasins whenever I enter.

Incidently, this weekend I'm trashing the file drawer (and it's drawer slides) that are under the dinette in my 25 FB SE Safari. It's right next to the entrance. There is a boatload of storage space under that side of the dinette, most of it wasted by the file drawer. Your post gave me a great idea. A SHOE RACK facing the front of the dinette - and right next to the door. I might even be able to hinge it on the side so that it opens toward the door. Behind that I can store my little charcoal grill, a small Shark vacuum, small toolbox and a Rubbermaid File box that will replace the file drawer. To keep these things secure while traveling I'm just going to use a leather look curtain that will go from the seat to the floor, with grommets in the corners that will fit through some cup hooks I'll install in the floor.

Once I work the bugs out, I might remove the fold down door on the other side of the dinette and replace it with a leather look curtain too. I'd also cut out part of the lower frame so that boxes, etc could slide in and out more easily.

I get irritated every time I access the storage under the dinette.
  1. whack head on table
  2. whatever I want hangs up on the frame or door rather than sliding out
  3. I'm not 25 or skinny. If I'm found dead in my trailer I don't want it to be with my ass hanging out from under the dinette!
PS: Best Idea Yet? What IDIOT designed the dinette in the FB? With the curved walls, when you put it down to use as a bed the table sticks out 2 inches too far and makes a lovely place to whack your shin! And the outlets under the table - only a nine-year old can reach them easily. So what did I do? I got a power strip and velcroed it to the bottom of the dinette table and plugged it into one of the outlets. It doesn't show so it looks neat, I can reach it from either seat, pull it out and plug in the sewing machine, reading lamp, laptop, etc, then slap it back under the table

Sorry if I hijacked a bit. It's leap day.

Paula
Old 02-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Just a thought even though it isn't what you asked. I do a bunch of boondocking. Dirt is a fact of life, however, like several others here I pulled up the carpet (oh my wasn't that pleasant) and replaced it with wooden laminate. It cleans easy and throw rugs do the job.

I would hate to go back to all carpet again, but that is just me.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
We use the large mat outside the entrance as an outside living area. So, generally the shoes are removed out there. When at the beach or a dusty area - the old rubbermaid pan with water outside the door and a towel to dry the feet cleans off most of the grit. We too have laminate for floors but do have throw rugs. Hey, it's a camper - replace it when dirty.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
la mesa , California
I'm A Contractor and my work takes me into a different home every other week. I use a Disposable Floor Protector. It is like a plastic kitchen wrap.
The roll is about 2' wide and perhaps 50' long. Heavy Duty enough to
withstand remodels. It has a light tacky side that will stick to carpet
very well and release great.

Good Luck Ron E.
Ron Edwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Rip it out. Put down area rugs. That way when they get too soiled they can be easily replaced. I have carpet up front and I hate it. I keep wondering what would happen if I removed it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Rip it out. I have carpet up front and I hate it. I keep wondering what would happen if I removed it.
You'd probably smile a lot more...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You'd definately spend less time trying to keep it clean!

We have Forbo Marmoleum in our '64 and are planning the same (different color) in our '56.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Carpet...

We bought our AS without carpet, then used brown paper to create a floor pattern, went to Lowes and bought remnant carpet, then cut to size of our brown paper pattern. Carpet fits perfect, doesn't slide, is easily removed, and can be easily and inexpensively replaced at any time......
Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have and like the beige carpet in our 2002 Bambi, but it is mostly covered with area rugs, so it is primarily decoration around the edges and additional insulation for the floor. I glued wide velcro fuzzy strips to strategic locations on the backs of the area rugs and placed corresponding hook velcro strips on the top of the carpet and screwed them (at the corners) to the underlying plywood. The area rugs do not slip, can be removed for cleaning, and the hook velcro can be removed at any time.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
We had the carpet removed and replaced with one piece vinyl; that surely solved the dirty carpet problem.
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we do like some of you said, we take our shoes off as soon as we get inside our trailer. [we do this at home too] We only have carpet in the bedroom and the bed covers most of it leaveing just a foot or so of carpet around the bed to walk on. If and when it gets dirty, I will remove the bed to take all of the carpet out. We also have a few throw rugs.
I only have one small room in my house that has carpet. I removed the carpet from most of my house. And now most of my rooms have wood floors or ceramic tile. Much nicer and cleaner.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
If you want to keep throw rugs from shifting Wal-Mart has rolls and rectangles of a doublefaced backing for under rugs that does not leave sticky adhesive residue and can be reused, some types even laundered.

When we had carpeting at the entrance and throughout, we used a plastic runner down the hall and I overlapped two pieces cut to fit in front of the couch. It crept a bit but was wonderful for traveling and rainy days. In good weather or once inside I would roll them up and stow them behind the couch. Nice feel for the toes, but you need a coopertive family that won't track in...Kept the DH and pets but changed out the AS with carpet. Oh well...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international