Old 09-21-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Thumbs down Furnace sets off smoke alarm

Note: This was also posted to Airstream's Applause & Groan forum (as a groan)...

On our 2nd road trip we went north and up into to the mountains to beat the Phoenix heat. Our first night at 7000+ feet in mid September got pretty cold (inside thermometer read 40 degrees in the morning). I decided we should try out the furnace for night number two and of course read the fine manual in preparation. Everything started off as it should, the furnace fan started and then the furnace lit. Within moments we began smelling the new furnace smell (very strongly..!) and seconds later the smoke alarm started shrieking. Of course we opened the door and vents and shut down the furnace (none of which contributed to a warm trailer). I'm naturally optomistic so I decided to try it again and set the thermostat for around 60 degrees and went to bed. Of course we woke up in the pitch black to a shrieking smoke alarm and went through the whole drill of clearing out the trailer. It was a lot colder too. On Monday morning I called our dealer and described our experience. They said it was the 'powder coating' burning off the furnace element and would require that I let the thing run for half an hour to an hour with the battery out of the smoke alarm and all the doors, vents and windows open. I haven't done it yet (but I will... ). My groan is, for the amount you pay for a new Airstream, the furnace should be prepped at the factory or the dealership on their propane!!!!!

Thanks for listening,
KL

Old 09-21-2003, 02:52 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
New furnaces tend to do that, also heat strips in the air conditioner if there is dust on them. Not a totally unusual situation. Furnace isn't run at factory since propane tanks are empty. Might be something your dealer might have considered, although I ran my furnace when I brought the trailer home to burn off any coatings on the exchanger.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
How long did you run it for?

Jack, Thanks for the reply. We only spent a moment on the furnace when we took delivery (Tucson Airzona in July). Every day is new learning experience. I'm curious as to how long you had to run it to get the coating off? I had a reply to this post on Airstream's Airstreamer forum from someone who did the burn off, but still has the problem (not a 22' CCD either). They disconnect the smoke alarm battery when using the furnace. Not something I really want to do.
Ken
Old 09-21-2003, 09:20 PM   #4

Fenton , Missouri
Ken,
Oh I think I ran the furnace about 5-10 minutes with the burner on and all was well after that. That initial burn did create some visible smoke in the trailer.

Your problem may also be related to the sensitivity of your smoke alarm. In my case I can't seem to be able to toast a slice of bread without setting off my alarm. Its become a morning ritual, we either put a womans shower cap over the alarm or I remove it from the ceiling. And if I forget and it goes off, our poor dog goes into a shaking fit...scared to death.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 09-22-2003, 07:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Jack, we have the same problem with our smoke alarm. Even when we use the exaust fan over the stove and set the FF on high, it still goes off.

For some reason that high pitched noise really bothers our dogs too. They start shaking and hiding. Weird.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
Aluminum Penthouse

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Our smoke alarm goes off everytime we have the stove on, even if it is just boiling a pot of water for pasta.

We finally decided to remove the smoke alarm through the day, and only install it after we have finished cooking for the day. Anyone know if you can get less sensitive replacements?

Malcolm
Old 09-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
You would be surprised how well the shower cap works. Its pretty ugly and very obvious. Not something that we would forget to remove.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 09-22-2003, 12:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
You would be surprised how well the shower cap works. Its pretty ugly and very obvious. Not something that we would forget to remove.
Great idea Jack!!!!
I have tons of those from the hotels I had to stay at for work. They're clear plastic, hope their cheap plastic works, so when they get dirty I can simply replace it.

Our dogs also shake like crazy with that noise and you don't want a husky shaking in your AS ...shedding increases considerably when under stress!
Old 10-19-2003, 06:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Thumbs down AS tech support says up to 10 burns

Finally got a reply from Air Stream support (on AS hosted forums):

Quote:
I have personally called Atwood on this issue. There Field Tech. has told me it could take up to ten good burns for this not to happen anymore.
Hmmm... I personally think that is an unsatisfactory answer. More to follow.
Ken
Old 10-19-2003, 07:00 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I saw that one....have you ran the unit a good 10x yet? Just wondering as my unit had a weird smell until it finally burned off whatever it needed to after the about 10x.

I would call Atwood as Airstream only installed the unit. Airstream will honor any warranty issues with the Atwood, but you have to understand that Airstream didn't build the Atwood furnace, HWH, Dometic Fridge, Zip Dee, Aquajet, Fantastic Fan, Moen faucets, etc. They just installed it and warranty it through the Airstream warranty.

In this case, I would deal with Atwood directly rather than play "telephone" through Airstream.....as a matter of fact, I think Atwood even makes the smoke detector too that Airstream installed....here is the Atwood website....

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/

Hope this helps...

BTW, I've dealt with Jim AKA 72_International on that site. He's a straight shooter. He's just as much an Airstream nut as you and I. I believe he owns a 72 International as well and if he gave you that answer, that is exactly what Atwood told him, in which case I'd call and deal with Atwood if after 10 good uses, it still does it.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 08:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Still to hot here in AZ

Eric, With the temps still lingering in the 100's here I have not done any furnace burns (2 short ones at this point). I will give Atwood a call. Also, I hope Jim doesn't think I was angry at him. He's a great resource. Wasn't trying to shoot the messenger. Just was not happy with the message.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-19-2003, 08:43 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

I read the reply too. It was kind of a no answer - answer. I think it would be good practice for Atwood, AS and the dealer to crank them up for a 'test' run, and/or notify customers about what to expect (at dealer run-through). I get the feeling that the furnace (no matter how stable) had been installed but not tested. I guess that's cause and effect to other QC problems we've been worried about.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I haven't had any smoke alarms with the furnace in my AS; perhaps the dealer burned it in before delivery. I do get smoke alarms when cooking, though, unless the stove vent fan is on.

I'll second the shower cap idea for the smoke alarm. I usually forget to open the stove vent, and I'm not about to go outside in the rain or barefooted when I discover it while cooking breakfast. I just pop the shower cap over the smoke alarm and all is well.
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Smoke alarm

Smoke alarm???? OH, is that the whistle....aka manual smoke detector....hanging on the string next to the furnace???
One of the advantages of having a vintage Argosy AS???

Tags
2003 international