Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Floor Rot 22ft 2003 CCD!!!

I have found some rot in the wafer board floor of my 2003 CCD. If you own one of these models take some time and look at your own trailer. press around the flooring and feel for spongy spots. If you find something inside go outside and check under the belly in the same spot. You will know when you find one. I have a large spot under the dinette seat just beside the door and along the edge of the floor under the desk. It only seems to be on the curb side.
I am in the process of resealing the rub rail and wheel wells. Water test was done at JC last week. Its out of warranty so I'm S.O.L ... No other leaks. I have babied this trailer since I have owned it.
If you find any punky spots please let me know. A five year old Airstream should not have floor rot. I would rather have a nest of Norway rats living in my trailer than this.
Canuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I've posted this before..but bears repeating.

Be extra watchful of the area above the spare tire..at least on the 25' models, and most probably any other models which have no ventilation of the floor in this area.

On mine, I discovered some discoloration of the vinyl flooring in this area (under the front sofa). It was small patches of darker areas. I cut the vinyl and checked out the OSB floor-in my case it is strong and undamaged but it felt damp at the time. I drilled some vent holes in the belly pan sheet metal above the tire. I have observed these holes during heavy rains and have never seen water dripping from them.

Evidently if even the slightest bit of water gets into this area by any means, there is no exit for it under the factory configuration. I'm concerned about having the vent holes pick up water when driving in heavy rain, so I'll plug them temporarily if this is a possibility. Since providing the air vent holes, the floor has remained dry and the problem seems to have been stopped.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Canuks,

You reported this problem just a few days ago ( http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...elp-44123.html ). Have you found another spot now?
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Unhappy We also have problems

We have a 2005 22' CCD. While doing a customizing job we peeled back the vinyl flooring, at the front of the trailer, after removing the bed platform and found damp areas and mildew! The stain patterns on the underside of the vinyl indicated multiple past leak occurrences along the entire length of the curbside curve. I'll attach a photo as we found it. Finding the leak was only due to our paranoia, there was no evidence on top of the vinyl. Spurred on by our discovery, we checked beneath the desk, around the back curbside corner, and also found evidence of numerous previous leaks. The MDF flooring in all of these areas was stained or moldy but still solid. We also checked beneath the vinyl directly inside of the doorway and found no evidence of leaks past or present. Shortly after we purchased the trailer in Oct, 2006 we found a wet area along the roadside edge beneath the oven (behind the water pump). It seems that we've been able to control this leak by repeated caulking around the refrigerator vents.
Like you, the leaks that we are really concerned about are on the curbside. Our trailer has popped numerous interior curbside rivets and the dinette seats have been reattached to the floor and the rear seat to the curbside wall at least 4 times. During our last trip to Jackson Center they put in a frame stiffener behind the rear axle. We are not yet convinced that the frame is stable since we've lost one more rivet from the curbside rear. We also do not know if the frame flex and leaks are related.

To address leaks, we went over the whole trailer (minus the top roof vents that are still to be checked) and resealed anything that looked suspicious to our untrained eyes using Akryl-R. We found a lot of gaps and cracks on top sides of windows, at the mitered corners of the front windows, and on the upper edge of the exterior trim at floor level. To stabilize the interior floor we cleaned and dried the MDF, drilled small holes around the perimeter and applied a 4" wide strip of penetrating epoxy. We then painted the MDF with marine epoxy paint as far back as we could peel the flooring. Crossing our fingers .....

Don't know what to say, but you are not alone. It does seem a pity that Airstream did not epoxy the MDF flooring in our trailers as even our $12,000 2002 Scamp had its floor sealed with epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-FrontMold.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	65842  
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Dianne,

Your picture does not show MDF (medium density fiberboard) as the floor material, but OSB (oriented strand board). It is important because OSB is better material in terms of strength and is usually glued with exterior grade glue. Such glue keeps it from falling apart when it gets wet. MDF is a good material for smooth surfaces and strictly interior applications, whereas OSB is commonly used today as the underlayment for asphalt shingles on a house roof.

Just so the terms used for the floor in your Airstream do not get confusing, OSB is not particleboard.

Tim
Old 08-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks, Tim. My mistake. OSB it is. I really do appreciate your attention and correction.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tim A., I thought I would post on the International CCD side. Maybe someone else may have this same problem.
Canuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

St. David , Arizona
Tim,

I realize your reply is four years old, but OSB is horrid when wet. We bought a house built by an idiot who used OSB as the subfloor on the ground level floor. The entire house was like a roller coaster after ten years. We thought the deck outside was destroyed by termites, but was just more OSB.

I asked some builders what the deal was with this stuff. I learned OSB is used to make I-beams too-- it's very strong stuff, but when that stuff gets wet, the glue turns to mush. That is exactly why the OSB subfloor in these Airstreams leads to these squishy manisfestations when there's a leak. It's also why fire departments are concerned about two and three story houses that have I-beams for joists made out of OSB. They're scared to death the house will collapse when they spray water on it.

I just pulled up the vinyl on a 2003 model some nice folks brought in to have fixed. I can squeeze water out of the wood by pushing on it. I've seen dozens of cases where OSB, even in an interior application, has resulted in disaster simply because of high humidity. The only real solution is to replace it, otherwise, you can seal everything, which is almost litterally a band-aid.

Die OSB!
droodspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Those OSB laminate beams are supposed to be the latest and greatest, not in my book. OSB can stand some water exposure but if it stays wet it falls apart.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by droodspen View Post
Tim,

I realize your reply is four years old, but OSB is horrid when wet.

Die OSB!
My point so long ago was that the material was not MDF and that OSB is superior to MDF in the flooring application described.

The glue in any laminated wood product (such as plywood and OSB) is the first weak point when the product gets wet. If the glue is not truly exterior (or marine) grade, it will quickly lose adhesion when wet. The second weak point when wood products get wet is the wood itself, because fungal decay sets in.

The solution for an Airstream? Keep that stuff dry. Fix any leaks immediately and make sure any water in the belly pan can drain out.

Tim
Old 03-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you need to use the Search function - 2003 through 2006 22 CCD's not only had this problem, but they also have a weak frame, that has been subject to breaking.

USE the SEARCH function - just go on down to the "Google" sub heading.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ues-80362.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...nal-48105.html

I had a 2005 and sold it without realizing it had either of these design weaknesses. The layout of this trailer is fantastic. and some things I still like better than any other unit I've seen, but they "learned from this one" and stopped using OSB for the floor.

If I won the lottery I'd probably buy another one of these because the layout is SO good for such a short trailer (that said a lot of people redid the dinette) I actually liked the wet bath after putting a new shower head holder in. It was plenty big, and the sink was handy for scrubbing down before rinsing thoroughly. If I did win the lottery, I might also do a frame OFF and install a heavier frame and a plywood floor.

Every Airstream needs "leak maintenance" at least once a year - the older 22 CCD's might have been the low point of what the factory let out the door.

The later ones have a belly pan and insulation which might make matters worse - so crawl underneath with a good bright flashlight and inspect the entire perimeter!

Paula
Old 03-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Hi,

I was an unknowing victim of the leaking, bad frame 2003 22 footer. I bought mine used (only 6 months old) and had no idea of the leaks until after about 6 years. I brought it back to the factory and they replaced the rear 1/3 of the floor (at a cost) and reinforced the frame (no cost, under warranty). The main leak is at the rear bumper. They really did a great job. I have the frame inspected regularly with no issues whatsoever.
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #13
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
2002 CCD Flor Rot

I too am in the same boat about to spend a boat load of $$ to get factory to replace the back 4-6' of flooring under the desk and bathroom. Not sure the cause, we bought this unit in October '15 and did not realize the problem till we went to replace the flooring. Someone had already tried to fix the problem (very poorly) and did not extend the new wood under the skin into the perimeter channel, and strapped the old to the new with steel straps. I don;t understand how checking and replacing sealant along the rub rail, or back bumper should be an annual inspection. I can understand roof penetrations but not this. I feel like there is enough negligence here for a group effort to gain compensation for this costly repair. Like others I don't understand how untreated OSB would be the material of choice, and also can't understand why the rub rails are attached to the end of the subfloor - perfect place to let water in. I'll also have them install the frame reinforcement while we are there.

Name:	IMG_3632.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	279851

Name:	IMG_3629.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	279852

Name:	IMG_3630.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	279853

Name:	IMG_3631.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	279854
badib-yazdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If the new trailers have the same plate at the back that goes under the floor, there will always be leaks back there. I eliminated that plate and have no more problems. It does involve more than replacing the floor but it fixes the problem.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Rotten floor

How did you remove the plate? is it a difficult job?

thanks in advance.
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international