Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Electric trailer dolly recommendation

Howdy Folks. I have a 22' International ccd, 2003. I need a recomendation for a electric trailer dolly. My ccd needs to be moved straight, forward and or backward 25'. The site is concret, the site is leval. Need the dolly because the trailer site is not big enought for the TV and the trailer and I'm to old to pull it all with a bicycle like the old AS picture! Any recomdations? The trailer hitch will be a Draw Tite brand if that is of some help. The Power Caster brand, model PC-2 looks like it might work. Thanks folks, Jim
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Lafayette , California
How did the electric dolly work out?

Hi,

We are looking for an electric dolly too. We found the Model PC-2 Power Caster on the web. Did you get that one?

Nathan
nathanhaese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Pc-2

Yes, I got the PC-2. I am getting better at moving the AS around with it, but it would not work real well if the AS was NOT on leval ground, concret driveway. Be sure the tire is inflated all the way to the recomended leval other wise you will be in trouble trying to get it to move the AS. Moving the AS with it is not a chore I look forward to, but its only when hitching and unhiching it, pretty much just backward and forward, not any real turning. The cost of the PC-2 out ways the cost of having to pay to have the AS in storage, and not just in my backyard where it can also double as a spare guest bedroom a few times per year, have fun with your AS. Jim
Old 07-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goertzen View Post
Yes, I got the PC-2. I am getting better at moving the AS around with it, but it would not work real well if the AS was NOT on leval ground, concret driveway. Be sure the tire is inflated all the way to the recomended leval other wise you will be in trouble trying to get it to move the AS. Moving the AS with it is not a chore I look forward to, but its only when hitching and unhiching it, pretty much just backward and forward, not any real turning. The cost of the PC-2 out ways the cost of having to pay to have the AS in storage, and not just in my backyard where it can also double as a spare guest bedroom a few times per year, have fun with your AS. Jim
Our experience has been exactly the same as Jim's, except we have used our PC-2 very successfully for several years to turn the trailer around in addition to backing it through a very tight slot. The tire is high pressure, so it needs to be re-inflated every time the PC-2 is used. We use the adapter (from Power Caster) for our Hensley hitch.

Do not even think about using the PC-2 on a sloping driveway! We have a couple of spots with a slight slope and my wife stands by with chocks just in case.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goertzen View Post

Electric trailer dollies, are extremely dangerous, except for a single axle trailer.

With a multi-axle trailer, should you decide to make even the slightest turn, the tire side forces will scoot the trailer and you sideways, faster than you can count to one.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'd go to the heavier PC-3 (duel wheel) for the 23'. I have a pc-2 for my 18 ft boat and love it. The PC-3 also has provisions for using the electric brakes. A huge back and heart saver for me!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #7

2008 16' Safari
Los Angeles , California
Electric Dolly Feedback

Just a quick note to give you my feedback. We live right in the center of Los Angeles and our lots are very small. I have a driveway gate that is very narrow and it's impossible to drive the AS through it into the backyard.

I got a Powermover AC-5 because the company is within a short drive from here. It works great for me and I'd be lost without it! I have a small new AS that runs only about 3,000 lbs. I back into the driveway up a slight curb apron because it's easier for me. I think the grade, even though it's only curb height, is still pretty steep for electric power movers. Otherwise my lot is flat.

After I'm in the driveway, I unhitch and hook up the AC-5. It has three tires and it grips very well, even on the grass strip in the driveway. The only problem I had was with losing traction in some decomposed granite I have in the backyard portion of the driveway. To remedy this, I got 8 concrete patio block and buried them in the ground right in the path of the wheels. Now everything works great! We just got back yesterday from Sequoia National Park and it took me about 30 minutes to get the AS parked from start to finish.

The AC-5 is rated for 4,000- 4,500 lbs. It has a braking system that hooks up to your AS battery and it uses your trailer brakes. It also comes with an on-board 100 ft. cord which is handy.

Anyway, it was a little bit of an investment but it sure has paid off from a hassle standpoint. I don't have to rent storage space and I use the AS as an extra room in the backyard.

I hope this helps and good luck in your quest!
GWB 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
If you have a double axle trailer only consider the PC3. I have a PC1 but broke the rim moving our 25 Safare. The side pressure us too great. Also pay the extra for the electric break switch. The breaks really help on very mild slops. Do not try anything very steep. Also you need paved surfaces. It does not work in gravel.

I use the PC3 all the time now. It does require significant effort to turn the dolly but sliding the trailer wheels is required a bit. I also have the hensley adapter which works well.

Hope this helps.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Lafayette , California
Power Mover AC-8; just got it for 28-foot AS.

Hi everyone. Thank you for the replies.

My son and I just returned home to the San Francisco bay area from Los Angeles with our newly purchased 2005 28-foot Safari from Southwest Coaches in Irvine. Just south of Irvine is San Clemente, CA where Power Movers Inc is located.

After completing the deal at Southwest, we drove to Power Movers, and Brady demonstrated the AC-8 we had ordered by phone. The trailer weight is 5800 to 6000 lbs, depending upon tank levels, and the tongue weight is 880-lbs (dry). We were able to turn around the trailer in a tight space. The stress on the sidewalls of the trailer tires is incredible. We would turn about 30 degrees, or so, before we had to relieve the stress by moving back and forth.

Once home, we were able to move the trailer around pretty easily with the AC-8, even for the first time and even. We did get some AC-8 tire spin when leveling the trailer with stacked 2x4's. It would climb one fine, but not two. Staggering the boards is my next step tomorrow. I have a floor jack that can work too.

Anyway, thanks for the message list, as it gave me confidence to go ahead with the purchase.

Nathan
Lafayette, CA
nathanhaese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
I have a 1973 31ft Airstream that I have to put in to an extremely tight space. I was thinking of buying a powercaster electric mover to help do the job. I found a used PC-2. Would that do the job? The trailer has a hitch weight of 490lbs and total weigth of 5035 lbs.
AustinAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAir View Post
I have a 1973 31ft Airstream that I have to put in to an extremely tight space. I was thinking of buying a powercaster electric mover to help do the job. I found a used PC-2. Would that do the job? The trailer has a hitch weight of 490lbs and total weigth of 5035 lbs.
A trailer dolly is great, "for a single axle trailer."

When you try that with a tandem, it will flip you before your can blink an eye.

more than likely, you will also be injured by it.

Install a front hitch on your tow vehicle. Now you have the power and visibilty to see where your going.

Some owners install the front hitch, offset to the right side of the TV, for even greater visibility.

Andy
Old 08-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Andy - I don't understand - why would it flip you?

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i think he'll tell you that when turning, the tires drag sideways and will try to return the nose of the trailer to the direction it came from. applying something to let the tires slide, like sand might help or make it slippery when you need traction in that area. a few layers of cardboard will work too. waxed boxes (produce) work best :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
I agree with the front receiver hitch on your tow vehicle. It is amazing the control you have when backing it up. Think airplane towmotor--it is amazing
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I wish I had known more about my PC2 vs a PC3 when I got the PC2 etc. I move a 22' AS, and I got sweaty hands just reading about how it is not good to move a twin axile trailer with it, which is what I have. That being said, I will do more study. It seems that the major danger is turning the AS with the PC2, I don't, just straight back 12-15' or forward 12-15', on leval sidewalk driveway, but I have never felt it was really all that good. I am leaving on a trip with the AS in a few days, will have to use the PC2 to back it up 12-15 to hook up the TV, but upon my hopfully safe return, anyone want to buy a barely used PC2?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Middle of Somewhere , Else
Has anyone tried temporarily reducing the air pressure on one set of axles while moving it? that should in theory make it behave more like a single axle trailer. I know its also transferring all the weight to 2 tires / 1 axle, but if you're on a hard surface, and moving really slowly, it should be ok, shouldn't it? Jut remember to inflate the other tires once you're parked.
Kriilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriilin View Post
Has anyone tried temporarily reducing the air pressure on one set of axles while moving it? that should in theory make it behave more like a single axle trailer. I know its also transferring all the weight to 2 tires / 1 axle, but if you're on a hard surface, and moving really slowly, it should be ok, shouldn't it? Jut remember to inflate the other tires once you're parked.
Should you reduce the tire pressure on one axle, when those tires twist in a turn, they quite well will break the bead it has with the wheel.

The bottom line, is simple. Don't.

Andy
Old 09-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #18

1966 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Hi all,

This is my first reply but I'm sure it wont be my last. My wife and I just bought a new-to-us 1965 Overlander and a buddy of mine and I hauled it down from Carmel to Los Angeles. We are hoping to slide this trailer in the back garden while we renovate and at the moment it is in a spot that is just too tight to use a TV to manoeuvre. I've tried to contact GWB 320 as they seem to be near us (Fairfax and Olympic) to see if we could rent/borrow their electric dolly to nestle her in but I'm also wanting to see if there are any other LA AS owners who may have one of these units that they'd be willing to rent out for a day. I've tried most of the electric dolly manufacturers in Southern California and either they make custom units or they want an enormous deposit. Any help, advise, direction is much appreciated.

Thanks

Nathaniel
madeintaiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A trailer dolly is great, "for a single axle trailer."
When you try that with a tandem, it will flip you before your can blink an eye.
more than likely, you will also be injured by it.
Install a front hitch on your tow vehicle. Now you have the power and visibilty to see where your going.
Some owners install the front hitch, offset to the right side of the TV, for even greater visibility.
Andy
I don't understand why the same thing doesn't happen when backing up and turning using a tow vehicle??
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB 320 View Post
Just a quick note to give you my feedback. We live right in the center of Los Angeles and our lots are very small. I have a driveway gate that is very narrow and it's impossible to drive the AS through it into the backyard.

I got a Powermover AC-5 because the company is within a short drive from here. It works great for me and I'd be lost without it! I have a small new AS that runs only about 3,000 lbs. I back into the driveway up a slight curb apron because it's easier for me. I think the grade, even though it's only curb height, is still pretty steep for electric power movers. Otherwise my lot is flat.

After I'm in the driveway, I unhitch and hook up the AC-5. It has three tires and it grips very well, even on the grass strip in the driveway. The only problem I had was with losing traction in some decomposed granite I have in the backyard portion of the driveway. To remedy this, I got 8 concrete patio block and buried them in the ground right in the path of the wheels. Now everything works great! We just got back yesterday from Sequoia National Park and it took me about 30 minutes to get the AS parked from start to finish.

The AC-5 is rated for 4,000- 4,500 lbs. It has a braking system that hooks up to your AS battery and it uses your trailer brakes. It also comes with an on-board 100 ft. cord which is handy.

Anyway, it was a little bit of an investment but it sure has paid off from a hassle standpoint. I don't have to rent storage space and I use the AS as an extra room in the backyard.

I hope this helps and good luck in your quest!
Based on this recommendation (and the one on the AC-8) I have ordered an AC-7. Should be ready for pickup this Saturday.
I have a light trailer, Sport 16, but have to move it around my backyard on grass and dirt. Fortunately not far. Maybe 20 feet or so, at a time. I know this is an old thread, but Brady is alive and well and still making these things at his San Clemente location, only. Apparently he closed down the one at Stanton, Calif.

I will come back and give a report after I get it and use it. Maybe even with pics.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international