Old 12-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Have fun!

Generator - You could search "EU2000" and find all that you need - I've got one, would love to have two to run the AC during the summer, but the one I have is great for recharging those batteries when the furnace is running.

KOA's - we're Seattle folks too...and I never camped before, so I had some tepidation as well during our first NW to CA summer trip, but soon forgot all about that. This season, (winter) the campgrounds are yours. All the KOA's we stayed at were clean and well run. We also liked the state and federal campgrounds that we stayed at as well. You'll find that the private campgrounds tend to be a bit more than the state/federal parks, but occasonally are better "sealed" from the outside. I have used the Foghorn outdoors books to judge campgrounds that we stayed at. I found Woodall's seemed like a paid advertisement book. We also have the AAA RV service and it seems good so far.

Dogs are a good deterent - even a Whippit I'm sure makes some noise, right? I'd forget about the gun idea too (off soapbox now). We always felt safe at night, and didn't see any unsavory characters where we stayed. Just use your common sense... If it seems sketchy, just drive on.
Depending on where you are in Seattle, if you need help, I may be able to assist - just pm if neccessary!
Marc

Old 12-08-2004, 02:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Generators - Great American RV convinced me solar wasn't really a worthwhile option - they suggest a generator. Any suggestions?

Just ordered 2 Honda eu20001s and a parallel kit from Mayberry Sales and Service. 1-800-696-1745 free shipping and they were 20% less than my local Honda dealer. The eu2000 is only 47# and is easy to store. I will have the 2nd one only for the A/C.

Abe

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Susan,

Wow! This sounds really cool. I'm glad for you, taking the plunge into the unknown. Selling your condo, retiring early (I assume) and hitting the road on your own (excluding the pets). I think you'll really enjoy your CCD and the freedom it will bring, to go where ever and when ever you want. Best wishes. Don't worry, Airstreamers will help you out along the way.

I'm envious! I do have a 22' CCD, but I'm not a full timer yet, and I don't know if I'll ever be a Hipster.

Bob
Old 12-08-2004, 09:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
KOA's are not so different...

Susan-

Welcome to Forum and Adventure-land (Like Disney's only more adrenaline..) No help on cat travels or chains, as we never took ours on road (but did see many cat-walkers with leashes..) nor ever would attempt towing in actual snow..

As for KOA's we've stayed in some of them along with State and County parks, and other Commercial Parks, from Good Sam to Whatever.. They're as different as any group of campgrounds, and we actually have enjoyed many "Ex-KOA's" where owners got tired of franchise commitments and went independent.. (There's a great one just east of I-5 in south Olympia...). Some are spacious, some have slabs side by side, and some attract a very senior crowd, while others attract hordes of very young children being exuberant around the pool.. All are gong to be a few percent more expensive due to high marketing and franchise fees. Bottom line for us is that we've learned to look at Directories in late afternoon, and perhaps make a cell phone call or two ahead to see about availability, and then drive in and look around. About 1/4 of the time, we look at each other and jump back in Suburban and drive on out to the next spot, as our negative hot button is concrete slabs with 40' Motorhomes and slideouts and dual air units humming 5 feet apart in long rows.. We've just concluded that no directory can adequately describe what you should expect, and that we'd rather give ourselves some pre-dark cushion to find an OK place...

I'd second post who downplayed "Woodall" directory, as Good Sam more current and unbiased towards advertisers.. We've also stayed and talked with others who've found the "RV Corner" at local Fairgrounds, and that is reasonable alternative, often including satellite horse racing or other interesting entertainment nearby...

There is also the option (standby for major emotional responses..) of joining/buying into one of the "Membership RV Clubs", like Thousand Trails. My take is that new memberships are rarely good deal due to high marketing costs and pressure tactics, but buying a used membership might be OK, if your plans encompass 2 to 4 weeks at a time in each location, and some flexibility on locations... Snowbirds who want to hop from southern Arizona in winter and upper northwest each summer tend to make that migration pattern pretty crowded.

Honda eu 2000 is the generator to own, but since you'll have to load and unload into Tahoe to run it, that's as big and heavy as you can probably deal with. I'd advise giving up on A/C when away from Commercial campground or hookups. After a while, your holding tanks will fill and it will be time for some hookups anyway..

Courtesy camping in driveways or side yards of WBCCI members is also very inexpensive way to get around, and meet interesting people as well. You'll fill your logbook of stories quicker than you would at remote campsites. Camping solo at remote areas with no other folks around is the security risk to me, in addition to higher potential for trouble if Tahoe or animals need assistance. Seeking companionship of another trailer or MH seems wiser than toting a gun or expecting Whippet to scare off bad guys..

Whichever option you choose, Wally's Creed (Airstream's charismatic founder) says it well.. Follow your dream and seek new adventures!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote