Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2002, 10:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Garden Grove , CA
Cool CCD 2nd excursion

Excursion #2.

This time to the Beach and an excellent place it was too. Right on the ocean and electrical and water hookups. Oh.....you need a "washer" for inside your water hose!! No wonder everyplace we hooked up to (2) the water spigot leaked! Thankfully, the guy next door was able to diagnose the problem and actually had a spare. Phew.
Adding washers to my shopping list now.

I'm also happy to report my refrigerator problems have lessened. It's only the little fan and if you have your refrigerator turned down to the instructed *4* it cycles off periodically and there is actually a lot of quiet time. We are getting used to it.

Our shower head, we are using as is. Hand held, it's not a big deal and it reminds us not to stand there and run all the hot water out. I may change my mind when I want to wash my hair though.

Oh, I know we are supposed to give a through check before we leave home for open drawers, unfastened cabinets, etc.. I forgot and I found the top drawer upside down on the floor when we parked. Not too much damage but the front does separate from the rest of the drawer a little at the top when pulling it open. I expect a particular brand of glue will fix it but don't know which yet.

Christine
CCD 2002
ChrisAich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:18 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Drawers

I had trouble with several under-bed drawers coming open on my International AS. Airstream sent me some replacement latches that are rated at 10 pounds, rather then the 3 pound latches that were originally installed. It is pretty obvious when you tug on a drawer with the higher rated latch. I have no more problem with drawers coming open.

I emailed A/S and they respinded very quickly. if you have continued problems, let them know.

They sent me a replacement shower head without the on-off button. It wasn't any better. I'm still using the original shower head with half the holes plugged with Gorilla Glue. Works fairly well, now.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Re: Drawers

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
I had trouble with several under-bed drawers coming open on my International AS. Airstream sent me some replacement latches that are rated at 10 pounds, rather then the 3 pound latches that were originally installed. It is pretty obvious when you tug on a drawer with the higher rated latch. I have no more problem with drawers coming open.

I emailed A/S and they respinded very quickly. if you have continued problems, let them know.

They sent me a replacement shower head without the on-off button. It wasn't any better. I'm still using the original shower head with half the holes plugged with Gorilla Glue. Works fairly well, now.
I looked for an email address for them but couldn't find it so ended up snail-mailing a letter to them awhile back. They responded but an email address would really be nice.
What IS Airstream's email? Thanks.

Chris
Old 10-10-2002, 11:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Re: Drawers

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisAich

I looked for an email address for them but couldn't find it so ended up snail-mailing a letter to them awhile back. They responded but an email address would really be nice.
What IS Airstream's email? Thanks.

Chris
Their email addresses are in links on their web site if you click on Contact Us
Old 10-10-2002, 01:26 PM   #5
Contributing Member

As quality

I have been dealing with Jim Parrett at Jim Parrett at

jparrett@airstream.com

he has been quite good about getting me fixes and information.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-10-2002, 03:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Re: As quality

Quote:
I have been dealing with Jim Parrett at Jim Parrett at

jparrett@airstream.com

he has been quite good about getting me fixes and information.
Thanks John. I've mailed him. It looks like a simple fix, but what exactly, I don't know.

Christine
Old 10-22-2002, 05:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

It doesn't appear that any of you have had major problems with the CCD but tell me, why did you buy it rather than the AS? It costs mor money, has less bed, no carpet, no outside storage etc.

I ask because I am looking to buy the CCD rather than the As and am wondering if I might not be making a mistake. I have also spent a lot of time looking at the 19' Bambi but it is just a little too small. I intend to pull the trailer with either a Yukon which I now own or the bigger Yukon XL.

Any suggestons would be helpful.
Ed L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:09 AM   #8
Contributing Member

Personal preference

I think the choice should be driven by how you intend to use the trailer (as well as your thoughts about decor).

The CCD has no outside storage, a tiny refrigerator, and much less inside storage. For longer stays, this can be important. I plan on lots of 2 to 3 week trips and my AS fits my needs perfectly.

OTOH, the CCD is lighter to tow and has vinyl floor and vinyl upholstry, great for kids, short trips, and keeping things clean at the beach or for similar uses.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-22-2002, 07:54 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I agree but it is worth the extra cost. We do not expect to take to many short weekend trips but would mostly likely use it on extended vacations. We are both 64 and, though I have no intention of retiring from my firm, I do take time off to travel three or four times a year.

Does Airstream put out a newsletter or other information on the trailers or clubs associated with it?
Old 10-22-2002, 08:05 AM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Ed,

There is a club for owners of Airstream trailers. It is called the WBCCI. As a new owner you may be eligble for your frist year membership for free. The club has local units and rallies as well as regional rallies and a big international rally that moves from year to year. There are also structured caravans that can be as short as 7 days or as long as a month.

Membership gets you the almost monthly magazine that covers club happenings and has tips and suggestions from the factory and other "experts".

Here is a Link To the site. I am a member of the Florida Springs unit and we have members from central florida as well as Gainsville and Punta Gorda attend our rallies. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:09 AM   #11
Contributing Member

Ed L

For your intended use, I would definitely recommend the AS over the CCD. You can order the AS with vinyl flooring. Saves some weight as a bonus.

I am definitely not a pack rat when it comes to loading a trailer, but I find that the storage in the AS is just about the minimum necessary for extended trips.

The lack of outside storage on the CCD would put lawn chairs, BBQ grills, charcoal, water hoses, electric cord, etc. in your Yukon or inside the trailer. Not good for extended trips.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-22-2002, 12:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed L
It doesn't appear that any of you have had major problems with the CCD but tell me, why did you buy it rather than the AS? It costs mor money, has less bed, no carpet, no outside storage etc.

I ask because I am looking to buy the CCD rather than the As and am wondering if I might not be making a mistake. I have also spent a lot of time looking at the 19' Bambi but it is just a little too small. I intend to pull the trailer with either a Yukon which I now own or the bigger Yukon XL.

Any suggestons would be helpful.
We chose the CCD because it was lighter and we liked the clean lines of the interior design. There is plenty of storage inside for what we need thankfully.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:49 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Chris have you had any problems with the CCD? Do you take it on long vacations or just weekends. What do you use for a tow car?

Did you add any options or after market equipment? What type of tow hitch are you using?

My wife loves the clean lines of the CCD while I'm thinking that we might be able to use the extra storage provided by the AS.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:09 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed L
Chris have you had any problems with the CCD? Do you take it on long vacations or just weekends. What do you use for a tow car?

Did you add any options or after market equipment? What type of tow hitch are you using?

My wife loves the clean lines of the CCD while I'm thinking that we might be able to use the extra storage provided by the AS.
So far we've only taken it out twice overnight and plan a 2-3 day trip up to Northern California next week. So far, no problems at all. We are still learning things and hopefully by Spring, when we plan a trip to the East Coast we'll be experts.

We took the trailer as it appeared on the lot. I think it had everything it could have. The dealer threw in a hitch package which included a ball and mount, the heavier weight distribution bars, sway control bar, electrical plug and brake control.

We tow it with a Toyota Sequoia.

I have loads of room in it and have not felt we needed any extra storage yet. It's really clean and simple, but I can understand people wanting the more luxurious-looking AS. I like the easy-care CCD. I guess it just depends on your tastes.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:02 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Christine:

Where was your trip to the Beach? We're always looking for good beach-front campgrounds in SoCal...
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 09:28 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Seal Beach State Park.

Chris
Old 07-27-2003, 07:40 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

CCD Outside Storage

My wife and I have a 2004 International CCD 25C, and it has two outside storage bays. Both occupy the space under the bed. One door is at the rear of the trailer near the right tail light. The other is on the curb side at the back. The downside is the size of the door limits the size of what goes in. The max height is 10" and about 14" wide. You aren't going to store lawn chairs under there unless they are the bag type chair that collapses. My wife and I found the inside storage compartments plentiful. We didn't come close to using all the space we had. We've downsized considerably going to the 25 foot trailer. Our previous RV was a 40' diesel pusher with a 400 HP Cummins diesel and tons of basement storage. If you have a lot of storage, you'll end up hauling a lot more stuff than you really need to. We have found that we can carry everything we need and still have space left over. We LOVE the CCD. Each to his own. Everyone's needs are different. That's why A/S makes different sizes and models.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Re: Drawers

Quote:

John:

About those latches. Do they send them free? I finally just put a strip of duct tape across the drawers. No more problems.
Let me know please. I assume they are pretty easy to replace.

Chris
Old 07-29-2003, 04:34 PM   #19
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Drawers

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisAich

John:

About those latches. Do they send them free? I finally just put a strip of duct tape across the drawers. No more problems.
Let me know please. I assume they are pretty easy to replace.

Chris
Call Jim Parrett at Airstream Customer Service to discuss your drawer latch problem. My trailer had the 3# latches as delivered and I suspect that yours had also. It takes quite a tug to open the correct latches. Replacement is just 2 screws out and back in; the size is identical, only the force is changed.
WBCCI #9632

Tags
2003 international