Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2002, 11:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Buying a CDC

I'm new to this forum but have taken the time to read all the recent postings. And, with a few exceptions as well as some handyman efforts, everyone seems to enjoy the CDC or AS units. We are about to buy a CDC unit and want to make sure that we include everything that's needed to enjoy it. Has anyone added solar panels or a generator. Are extra fantastic fans needed? Are there shocks on the unit. What kind of sway bar are you using to control side movement on the highway? Are the batteries adequate or should they be larger such as 31s?

We are thinking of pulling the 22' with either a Yukon or a Yukon XL. It seems to me that I read an article in one of the trailer magazines recently about using a lite SUV such as the Yukon but I think special equipment had been added to the unit. Does anyone know where I could find that article again or get a copy of it?

Appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thanks
Ed L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 01:16 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
AS and CCD

These trailers have no shocks. The axles used have no provision for shocks although shocks are shown in the owner's and parts manuals. The axles are called out as Henschen, but my axles had the shipping info still on them from Dexter with Dexter part number.

I inrtend to put a 5w solar cell on the roof of my AS. The traler is prewired and the wire ends are above the bedroom ceiling light in the AS. There is plenty of open roof in that area.

I have 2 Fantastic fans. I have the one in the galley blow in and the one in the bedroom blow out. The 2 of them together keep the trailer vary comfortable.

No place for a generator and the trailers are too close to gross to want the weight. Same thing for a bigger battery. I think the battery is big enough,; I eked out 5 days on the train at Copper Canyon with a smaller battery.

I'm using a weight distributing hitch with a single Reese sway bar. I doubt that I even need the sway bar since the trailer is completely docile, even when passed by 18-wheelers in a viscious crosswind. The truck is far more wind sensitive without the trailer than with it.

I think the 4-door Denali is would be a good tow vehicle for this size of trailer. I have a Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L engine and I wouldn't want anything less in the way of engine power. The 4-door Denali certainly has plenty of wheelbase to handle the trailer. You would want the factory tow package.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 07:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
las vegas , Nevada
Thumbs up

If there is anyone out there with a 2002 or 2003 International CCD, I would like to hear from them. I had my first "shakedown" trip to Cedar City, Utah last weekend & everything worked like a dream. So far, I have no complaints and love the CCD..
WBCCI #4454
Las Vegas, NV
betteleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:30 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Under bed drawers

Bette, I notice that the CCD has under-bed drawers except that they open toward the rear of the trailer where mine, in the AS, open sideways.

Have you had any trouble with the drawers coming open under way when they are loaded? My drawers stay closed nicely when empty, but they tend to come open under way when packed with clothing.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-09-2002, 11:05 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Question What is CCD

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a CCD?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:21 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
This is a picture of the CCD exterior
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	internationalccdbig.jpeg
Views:	1030
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	541  
thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:22 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
And the interior
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	internationalccdkitchen.jpeg
Views:	1134
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	542  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:26 AM   #8
Contributing Member

CCD

The CCD is one of the two new 22' International models. The other is the AS.

The CCD is all polished aluminum inside with bright colors: white, blue, orange. The flooring and cushions are vinyl and much of the lighting is indirect. The CCD is architect designed. The CCD refrigerator is rather small, has no outside storage, and, IMHO, it is more a trailer to spend a few days at a time in.

The AS is more traditional with fabric headliner, fabric cushions, carpet, and woodgrain formica cabinets. The AS has outside storage and a larger refrigerator.

See airstream.com for more details.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-09-2002, 11:36 AM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Euro look

Oh!
My wife and I looked at one of these in TX this summer and it was very European looking. Certainly not traditional AS but very attractive. My wife liked it but I prefer the new AS's.

The CCD was very roomy with a "Booth" bathroom

Expensive To.

Smily
Old 09-10-2002, 01:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
Thumbs up

Dear John,

The underbed drawers have stayed in place, both empty and full. so far no problems.. the only problem I have had is in the bathroom, one of the seams in the fiberglas wall, just inside the door is splitting. I think the hot las vegas weather has dried out the glue and where the seam is , it is seperating from the wood. Right now the CCD is on the way to Denver with my boy friend, Chris for 3 weeks... we ill see if they can fix it there. will let you knowhow the customer service is. All else is Okay Dokey...
WBCCI #4454
Las Vegas, NV
Old 09-10-2002, 01:27 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Underbed drawers

I figured yours would be OK since the forces on them would only be the acceleration of the trailer. Mine get a lot more force taking corners. Each of the 3 times the drawer came out, I can remember having made a hard left turn on bumpy pavement.

So far my bathroom has been fine except for the shower head. I expect yours is the same ... just a dribble of a spray and won't stay in spray mode.

Since it is a hassle to get the trailer to the dealer, I'm just going to but 2 more latches and have 2 on each drawer.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-10-2002, 06:54 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

International AS

Has anyone ordered the International AS (22') with the vinyl flooring instead of carpeting? I asked the local dealer and they said that many people have asked for that option and is available. It weighs 32 pounds less than carpeting. Additionally, the dealer says the GVWR is actually 5300 lbs not 5000 lbs per the Airsteam representative. Has anyone heard the same? The web site says the GVWR is 5300 although the brochure says 5000 lbs.

I like both the ccd and as, the wife was concerned about carpeting throughtout the as trailer. If we can have nice looking vinyl and add our own rugs it would be great.

Would be curious about any comments.

Thanks, Joe
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:12 PM   #13
Contributing Member

AS carpets

My AS has carpeting and I bought a 3-rug set from Camping World that works out perfectly. The hall runner down the aisle. The larger mat between that and the entrance door, and the small mat forward where I sit on the edge of the bed to use my computer on the dressing table. I fastened the mats down at the corners. The color of the set matches the carpet perfectly.

The plate on my AS says the GVWR is 5000#.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-11-2002, 09:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: AS carpets

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
My AS has carpeting and I bought a 3-rug set from Camping World that works out perfectly...I fastened the mats down at the corners. The color of the set matches the carpet perfectly.
How did you fasten it down? The runner crawls quite a bit on the hall carpet. I'm thinking of trying just the hook side of a piece of Velcro on the back of the runner to see if it will grab the hall carpet.

The "Sage" color CW set goes well with my Mystic Mint interior.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:22 AM   #15
Contributing Member

Runner fastenings

I used small nails through small aluminum washers at the corners. I drove the nails deep enough that they can not be felt with bare feet. They can be seen, but don't look bad at all.

I was able to remove one by inserting a wide, thin pry bar between the runner and carpet.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-26-2002, 10:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Garden Grove , CA
Quote:
Originally posted by betteleal
If there is anyone out there with a 2002 or 2003 International CCD, I would like to hear from them. I had my first "shakedown" trip to Cedar City, Utah last weekend & everything worked like a dream. So far, I have no complaints and love the CCD..
Hi Bette,

We recently got a 2002 CCD.
Airstream either forgot or didn't hook up our freshwater sensor so it had to go to Palm Desert for a week to get that taken care of. Big operation as they had to pull the tank.
We, too just completed our first shakedown. Since we are brand new to this, we went local. We've tried out all the systems and everything so far is working well.

Chris Aichelman
Garden Grove, CA
ChrisAich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 11:02 AM   #17
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Price

Not to be too nosy but may I ask about how much the 22 foot CCD cost? or list if you would rather not say.

V/R Smily
Old 09-26-2002, 11:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Price

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
Not to be too nosy but may I ask about how much the 22 foot CCD cost? or list if you would rather not say.

V/R Smily
http://www.paulsherry.com/airstream/...floorplans.htm

supposed to be base list prices w/o options
Old 09-26-2002, 12:44 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Garden Grove , CA
Re: Price

Quote:
Originally posted by smily

V/R Smily
$37,000 I believe and that's about what we paid. They are probably cheaper back East.

Chris
ChrisAich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 09:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
Smile

2003 ccd was approx $40,000 out of southwest coaches in irvine , calif. I took all the options.. cd player, 3 burner stove, extra awnings, etc. I feel it is worth every penny..no problems except for split seam in fiberglass shower.. still haven't gotten that to a dealer to fix but will this year sometime.. really can't imagine actually showering in that little "closet" but will getit fixed. We think it is the dry heat in vegas drying the glue, because when chris (myboyfriend) took it to Denver a couple of weeks ago, the seams went together & laid down flat.. who knows? We are still just beginners but hope to join the rest of you out there on the road.. still need to get those "numbers" up there too. All for now.
WBCCI #4454
Las Vegas, NV

Tags
2003 international