Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2004, 01:24 PM   #1

Red face Bitten

Tho I do camp occasionally, I hadn't really thought of myself as an RV-er. But the CCD has really caught my eye. The interior wasn't anything like the stereotypes I had in my my mind. After checking Airstream’s site, it’s clearly a departure for them too. Probably can’t buy for awhile but I'm intrigued.

I’ve cruzed the web a bit and read the propaganda but would now like some real-life, current owner/recent buyer input. Can anyone share thoughts on the new design? Who’s buying? How’re you using? How'll I know if it's right for me?
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo
... How'll I know if it's right for me?
I understand a casual test for potential 18-wheel truck drivers is to prop them in the cab for a couple of hours, and see if it bothers them.

You may want to visit your dealer, and see if you can just hang out in the display model for a while without the salesperson telling you how great it is. Hopefully you will leave with an insight as to how the interior really appeals to you.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Question I'm Wondering Too

Solo,

I bought a vintage Airstream and am still trying to find time to get it tow ready and usable. I'm like you. The CCD architect designed airstream caught my eye too. Then the Ralph Lauren Airstream collection sealed the lust deal. All we do so far is get to play in it on our lot.

Maybe had I not spent the 4th in a tent in the woods up north of Brainerd and last weekend the same on the Gunflint Trail I might find out the experience. I've been too busy kayaking and hiking.

Saturday I destroyed all credibility with my wife in towing. Up on the Gunflint Trail we pulled into a new lake development to check it out and I got in too far on a newly created but unfinished narrow elevated roadway. The only way to get out was to back out. The shoulders were soft, I got too close to the edge and the shoulders gave way to the point my truck with 11" clearance and 4 wheel drive could not recover with the right side wheels off the ground. With visions of spending the night 1/4 mile off-road in the wilderness where our two cell phones were useless we walked out and down the trail about a mile to a gift shop and managed to call a tow truck. The plus side we got to spend a couple of hours with the locals our age but already retired waiting and learning a lot about living on the Gunflint Trail. I just ordered four Helen Hoover books we read 35 years ago on Amazon.com to hopefully rekindle my wife's interest.

Maybe I would be safer vacationing on cruise ships.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Here is a recent thread by owners and would-be owners of CCD models: http://www.airforums.com/forum...&highlight=ccd

Do a search on "CCD" and you can read for hours.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
, Texas
Quote:
Can anyone share thoughts on the new design? Who’s buying? How’re you using? How'll I know if it's right for me?
We ordered the 2004 28' CCD earlier this year and picked it up in mid-April. It has exceeded our original expectations. The design and look is very inviting. A guy staying next to us over the 4th of July came over and asked if he could take some pictures of our unit. He was from Scotland and was traveling all over the state of Texas on vacation and said our unit was "the business". He had seen nothing like it and was absolutely impressed with the unit.

I would take our unit over 99% of the trailers/motorhomes out there and I can also tell you that we have been using it almost every weekend and are enjoying every minute of it.

In short, it really is "the business" and hopefully, you have family and/or friends that you can share it with.

Towhead
Towhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I bought a 2004 22' CCD this year and my family has enjoyed it very much. Check out my photo gallery on www.AirstreamPhotos.com under RSEAGLE to see how we have used it this summer. We have 2 daughters and the sleeping arrangement for them with the dinnette bed is OK. The front 48" crosswise bed is adequate for me and the Mrs.
I did have a larger battery/bracket/cover custom made to give more DC power while "Boondocking". I also changed out the refigerator vent fan with a Silenex model (see threads). Other than that, it's a stock unit that works well for me and my family.

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 22' CCD chiming in here. Three words:

We love it.

My wife would consider nothing but the CCD.

We had a vintage before which was great fun and wonderful to own but I was always tinkering with it. Not bad if you are a tinkerer and I was. But I wanted something I could just hook up and go anytime, anywhere.

Here are some photos of ours:
Photos

Enjoy!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Xray, is the solar panel a factory install or aftermarket thing?
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Solo,
Tom gave great advice. Go sit in one undisturbed by the sales people if possible. When we were looking to buy, we were originally looking at a 2 year old 30' classic with a slide out. Even though it was very nice, once I saw the CCD, I knew it was for me. Terri, (DW) was not onboard as quickly but it grew on her. The aluminum interior and dark wood laminate were something to get used to for her. I liked it immediately. I can tell you that now we have used it and have some experience with it, it was the right decision for us. One nice bonus of the CCD is how easy it is to clean and keep clean with the viny floor and aluminum interior.

Good luck with your decision.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Here's a vote for the 16 CCD!

Hey Xray... did you paint the inside edge of the cabinets white? Ours is raw, and a little rough. Just wondering how you like it?
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
Xray, is the solar panel a factory install or aftermarket thing?
Summerkid,

I just installed it last week - aftermarket.

Here's the link to my install including pics, where to find, etc.:

Solar Install - 22' CCD
Old 07-25-2004, 03:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Linda,

Mine are sanded and painted... I just took a good look.

I love the 16' CCD too!!! Heck, I love 'em all!
Old 08-07-2004, 01:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
CCD Bitten

We too were bitten by CCD design on first glance . Didn't like the interiors of the Classic (style seen on many SOB's with lots of mirrors, etc). Originally ordered the 19' CCD, but upgraded, since it took 3 months to get, and 22' was in stock at dealer (purchased 4/2/04). We've taken our CCD on trips of 1 night, 4 nights, 1 night, 6 nights, and soon (Sept-Oct 2004) 30 night outings. Our trip for 30 days will be over 4000 miles from Oregon to Kansas and back to see family after retirement. We purchased the Honda 3000 generator to have AC and Microwave privileges, as well as 110 outlet use while boondocking. It's come in handy already .
We like the clean look of interior and ease of maneuvering our 22'. We are not fulltimers, so didn't need extra space of 25' or 28' yet. But things could change, as we are getting on in age (58). Had to upgrade our tow vehicle from Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 with 4.10 rear axle to Chevy Avalanche 8.1L 2500 with 4.10 rear axle. No towing problems now! We are currently looking at upgrading the roller shades to replace with some other blinds, and changing out the "foam mattress", as it is too soft for us. No serious QC issues yet, but only into 4th month of ownership. I would recommend the CCD as a great design for those who like the clean modern design interior !

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hello, Davydd! I am heading Up North to Grand Marais on Tuesday next week; driving with a girl friend since hubby says he has work piled up from our recent Montana trip-- and meeting two sets of kids and their young families who will be camping at the municipal campground. Just can't wait to pull over that hill at Duluth to see the Lake stretching out "forever" again! My friend and I have been vacationing in this region with our families for around twenty years--The Gunflint will be one of our first day trips! I just recently reread Hoover's The Long-Shadowed Forest, just putting myself in the North Woods frame of mind! To Jordandvm, I love my '95 Classic, but I cringe everytime I enter and see the blue/pink upholstery and mirrors! I look forward to taking away that look in retirement time and redoing in much more simple decor Just takes time and some $$!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Enjoy the North Shore

maxandgeorgia,

Just finished Helen Hoover's THE GIFT OF THE DEER and am now reading A PLACE IN THE WOODS. Also just finished CANOE COUNTRY & SNOWSHOE COUNTRY by Florence Page Jaques. The SNOWSHOE COUNTRY diary at the Gunflint Lodge coincidentally took place the winter I was born.

We kayaked Loon Lake up on the Gunflint. We made pretense at looking at property on the Gunflint but quickly realized that there is very little private land available, all is very expensive and what is left is undesirable. Also, it would be lake property or nothing and that is out. This may assuredly drive us into Airstream retirement.

I saw one Airstream in the Grand Marais park in a drive by from the highway. If you venture up the Gunflint, stop at the Loon's Nest Gift Shop near Trail Center and tell them the couple that got stuck at Squint Lake sent you. Just about everything sold in the gift shop is made by the owners.

I may have "bitten" off too much. This talk of CCDs is interesting. I have hardly touched our vintage Airstream this summer. Right now I am taking a lunch break (and rain break) from working on our patio. I had 17 tons of 1" minus limestone road base and fill delivered today and will be getting 10 tons of washed sand tuesday. We have a lot to shovel and spread. I may need to heed Xray's advice. If we are ever going to Airstream we may have to buy something (definitely a CCD) we can get up and go with or wait until retirement when there is time to do something.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 international