Old 06-18-2003, 08:29 AM   #1

Rivet Back to dealer after 2 weeks

Brand new 2003 CCD. The thing is beautiful but Im a little disappointed in some of the fit-and-finish. Back to the dealer to fix:
Crack in shower
Roof leak
Leak in black water tank
LP sensor reports Open (after working correctly at first)

I hope these are just teething pains. Should be a good test of my dealer and my warranty.

4.10 Rear
Honda EU2000i
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:42 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dan,

I too have have the cracked shower thing (actually it's the caulk that is coming apart in the shower and on the vanity sink area). Also some of the wood screws insist on unscrewing during travel. I have a front door that does not behave, some underbelly sheet metal missing a rivet or two and a few other odds and ends.

I was very upset back in Feb and March when I got the unit. The frustraion started to go away a bit and was gone the day I happend to be at an RV dealer and walked through a few SOBs. It really put it into perspective.

I plan on making the homecoming to the Jackson Center plant in October and try to schedule some repairs at the same time. Here is the link for the thread on the homecoming:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=homecoming

Perhaps two birds can be killed with one stone?

Regards,

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:48 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
LP Sensor

Unless things have changed since my 2003 AS, the LP sensor is not hooked up and always reads "OPEN".

Airstream quality control seems to be a very chancy thing. I had a pile of early troubles. Currently, everything is very stable.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Spring Hill , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to gsalmon
Fit & Finish

We bought a 2004 Classic 31' in May and had to return to the dealer after a couple of weeks for a refer replacement (sprung an ammonia leak ), various missing screws, unattached trim, door slide retainers, cracked curtain retainers and a stabilizer jack that would lower but not raise . This unit must have been built Friday afternoon.

The fixes were made except for the curtain retainers which were backordered, and the stabilizer jack which they claimed to have fixed but it still does the same thing. I fixed the jack by replacing the nylock nut with double jam nuts.

Gary
gsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 06:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up 2004 International CCD 25C

My wife and I purchased a new 2004 International CCD 25C on July 10, 2003. We haven't had a chance to take it out yet. We both have to work this weekend, but plan to take it out the weekend of 7/26. We've had a ton of rain this week, so we've been checking daily for leaks. So far, we haven't seen a sign of any leaks. There were a few minor things my wife was disappointed with, but nothing serious. For example, a couple of the electrical plates were slightly at an angle. The bottom of the overhead storage over the bed wasn't tacked down and was bowed up and warped. Simple stuff to fix. Other than that sort of stuff, the trailer seems well put together. This is our first airstream, after having dealt with SOBs that I thought were going to rattle apart going down the road. Compared to them, this trailer is a dream come true. My wife and I are excited about this trailer. We can't wait to take her out on the maiden voyage. Hopefully, we won't encounter anything serious.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

We have had many problems with our new unit and the dealer dosen't seem to be able to get them fixed the first time. It seems like everything must be ordered for the AS. We have started to do our own repairs with great success. Our dealer supports us by drop shipping the warranty parts to us. Airstream technical service has been a great help when we have questions because we no longer call the dealer for tech help, only parts.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Everyone with newer trailers watch out for corrosion on the front aluminum panels - bug splats seem to be enough to delaminate the clearcoat, rapidly followed by filliform corrosion. Similarly, look for corrosion on the aluminum wheels near the center. The local dealer won't even try to fix either of these, suggesting I need to take it back to the factory for repair - that's a 1500 mile round trip drive, plus a week or two of time I don't have.

We have had a large number of minor problems too - missing screws, mis-fitting cabinates, falling apart pantry... The dealer fixed these, but it took 3 weeks. Next time I will do it myself.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
1981 28' Airstream 280
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks to the invaluable insights of everyone on this forum, we were a lot more aware of things to look for and ask about when we went shopping at AS dealers!

We recently bought a brand new 2003 CCD 22" also. We don't pick it up until next weekend, and are keeping our fingers crossed!

After reading about the fit and finish type of problems encountered by others, we were very particular in looking over the model on the dealer's lot. We made a speciifc list of every little thing we found that was broken or "not just right", and the dealership owner promised that everything would be repaired and the unit would be totally cleaned up for our pickup date (it was very dusty from sitting out on the lot for who knows how long). He said that most of the items we found broken were from customers going through the trailer over the months . . .

We felt we established a good rapport with the owner, so we are hoping all will be as expected when we get it and use it.

Will post here with results!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado
Charter Member Four Corners Unit WBCCI 5125
KE7DUH
Mrs Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

I do not want to minimize the significance of anyone's warrenty problems, or concerns about Airstream quality generally, but...

I have some experience with a few other forums for particular products, and reading them regularly one would conclude that a) none of them ever work and b) the manufacturers ought to be burned at the stake from a bonfire made up of the dealers.

The perspective one gets from reading the excellent Ford Diesel forum (http://www.thedieselstop.com/) is that the new 6.0 motor is hopeless and one should wait for major redesigns. But that was also the opinion voiced in post after post on the '99 to '02 7.3. And the Chevy Duramax (http://www.dieselpage.com/). And Dodge trucks on their forum. And Mercedes Benz. And Porsche. Of course the tens of thousands of satisfied owners are never heard from.

I guess what I am saying is aimed at prospective buyers of Airstream trailers who could easily come here and see nothing but an endless parade of problems. It is worth remembering that these product-specific forums are where people come with their problems, not their successes. I mean, who wants to read a post that says "We've had 6 problem free, care free years with our ????"

To those of you with warrenty problems - let's stick together, and make Airstream get it right. To Airstream - you charge a very large premium for your product, get it right! To those in the market looking for a travel trailer - Airstream still makes a wonderful trailer; in many ways they are the best they have ever been!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Spicewood , Texas
having your Airstream fixed by a knowlegable dealer is a pipe dream,they want to much of the profits to be able to afford good mechanics.
Truth hurts
kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan
Brand new 2003 CCD. The thing is beautiful but Im a little disappointed in some of the fit-and-finish. Back to the dealer to fix:
Crack in shower
Roof leak
Leak in black water tank
LP sensor reports Open (after working correctly at first)

I hope these are just teething pains. Should be a good test of my dealer and my warranty.
Brand new (to us) 1966 TW. the thing is beautiful but I'm a little disappointed in some of the fit-and-finish. Back in front of my garage to fix:
Crack in shower
Roof (2) leak
Leak in black tank (gotta get a new one)
LP sensor.....(no sensors to worry about...thank G...)

I hope these are just maturaty pains. Should be a good test of my love and my devotion.

So what a difference is 40 years.

Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international