Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2003, 11:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
anyone have the 22' CCD

Cute as a button. Would seem just the ticket for photo safaris. 1-2 people and German Shepherd.
Love those windows-wonder if they will let alot of cold in? Would like to do an occassional winter trip up north.

Does the aluminum interior get cold? Is there a lot of glare at night with the lights on? Are there ambient lights inside those plexiglass overhead cabinets?

How about the combo shower/toilet, how soon might that try my patience?

Any comments appreciated whether you have that unit or not. I find all the advice here to be helpful.

Also anyone have the new treated aluminum and have any problem with the exterior?

TIA, Carol
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:24 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Carol,

You'll find several CCD owners here, and much discussion about the 'wet bath'.

I don't have a CCD but I'm a fan. I got to sit in one on the dealers lot, and I was sold. Unfortunately my pocketbook wasn't up to the challenge, so we went vintage I think it's a great trailer though, and I am looking forward to getting one someday in the way distant future.

BTW, we've found 17ft to be plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 dog (one a hyper dalmatian). I'll bet the CCD would be luxurious with a whole extra five feet to play in!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Did you say winter? The Internationals don't have heated and insulated tanks and belly pans.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
CCD owners!

Hi Carol!

we currently have a 25'CCD but had started off with the 22'. Main reasons for the upgrade where:
- wet bath / full bath
- computer desk / L Sofa
- larger refrigerator
- 3' more

- Personally I really dislike the wet bath! Some guys don't mind it, then again they're not the ones cleaning it all the time...

- Although we live using computers we prefered the sofa option. We have a foldable table that stores comfortably under it for our Mac. Hanging out at the dinette after dinner, on a cold night, can get tiresome. A sofa allows more freedom and usability. Also note that the dinette in the 22' is different from the one on the 25'. The 22' has the wheel under it so if you try to sit 4 people at it, 2 of them will have to keep their feet elevated!

- We both enjoy cooking, the extra refrigerator space was a must.

- When towing you don't even feel the extra 3' and the extra 1000lbs in weight made no difference to our vehicle. When staying in your AS, especially when you can't stay outside (rain, cold etc.), 3' make a big difference!

We're very happy with our 25'!
All of us: Husband, wife, Siberian Husky AND German shepard/husky mix.

Actually, on our last trip it rained/poured for 2 days straight. The dogs were eally bored of being inside so I gave them their favorite: a tennis ball. Immediately they started playing around, while I was cooking and my hubby was working on his mac. After a while we both looked at eachother and said: "when the kids arrive we might have to go longer!!". It was a circus in there! LOL!!

Good luck with your shopping!

Oops, almost forgot your questions:
- the windows are tightly sealed, no cold air problems, plus the overhead heater and the furnace work great.
- the alluminum gets fairly cold only if there's no heat on, but only if you touch it. Does not bother us. We love the shiny/mirror inside! For us, 100% better than the padded white/cream interior of the other series. This besides the fact that because of allergy problems we could not have the carpeted walls.
- Yes there are ambient lights inside the cabinets, their light is a warm glow. Very romantic. The glare is minimal. Really the lighting in the CCD series is it's main strenghth: beautiful & excellent, (no plastic neon boxes hanging from the ceiling).
- no problems with the exterior, but we've only had it a couple of months...
Old 11-06-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Re: Wet Bath

My 22' AS has the same wet bath as the CCD. A separate shower would obviously be better but both my wife and I have gotten used to the wet bath. We keep sponges and towels on hand to insure everything is clean and dry when we're done. A little bit of a pain but I would not want to sacrifice other features of the layout for a separate shower. I use the shower for only a few minutes each day but the rest of the layout the remaining 23.75 hours.
LuvSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Re: CCD owners!

Hi, thanks. That sounds like some good reasons in facor of the 25'. I don't think I have seen a 25' CCD. Do you happen to have any pictures of your unit? We have seen the Safari 25' ssd but that has the covered walls and couch. You still have the aluminum walls, pergo looking floor, and the same cabinets as the 22'?

Quote:
Originally posted by KIMILI
Hi Carol!

we currently have a 25'CCD but had started off with the 22'. Main reasons for the upgrade where:
- wet bath / full bath
- computer desk / L Sofa
- larger refrigerator
- 3' more

- Personally I really dislike the wet bath! Some guys don't mind it, then again they're not the ones cleaning it all the time...

- Although we live using computers we prefered the sofa option. We have a foldable table that stores comfortably under it for our Mac. Hanging out at the dinette after dinner, on a cold night, can get tiresome. A sofa allows more freedom and usability. Also note that the dinette in the 22' is different from the one on the 25'. The 22' has the wheel under it so if you try to sit 4 people at it, 2 of them will have to keep their feet elevated!

- We both enjoy cooking, the extra refrigerator space was a must.

- When towing you don't even feel the extra 3' and the extra 1000lbs in weight made no difference to our vehicle. When staying in your AS, especially when you can't stay outside (rain, cold etc.), 3' make a big difference!

We're very happy with our 25'!
All of us: Husband, wife, Siberian Husky AND German shepard/husky mix.

Actually, on our last trip it rained/poured for 2 days straight. The dogs were eally bored of being inside so I gave them their favorite: a tennis ball. Immediately they started playing around, while I was cooking and my hubby was working on his mac. After a while we both looked at eachother and said: "when the kids arrive we might have to go longer!!". It was a circus in there! LOL!!

Good luck with your shopping!

Oops, almost forgot your questions:
- the windows are tightly sealed, no cold air problems, plus the overhead heater and the furnace work great.
- the alluminum gets fairly cold only if there's no heat on, but only if you touch it. Does not bother us. We love the shiny/mirror inside! For us, 100% better than the padded white/cream interior of the other series. This besides the fact that because of allergy problems we could not have the carpeted walls.
- Yes there are ambient lights inside the cabinets, their light is a warm glow. Very romantic. The glare is minimal. Really the lighting in the CCD series is it's main strenghth: beautiful & excellent, (no plastic neon boxes hanging from the ceiling).
- no problems with the exterior, but we've only had it a couple of months...
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Garden Grove , CA
Wink

Enjoy the CCD 22'. Lighting good, aluminum not cold unless you touch it. The heater cycling on in the middle of the night when it's cold is cozy. Water heater is excellent--especially when you remember to turn on the gas. Wet bath is great as it saves so much room and since my husband wipes it down after our showers I think it's great. The only thing we could use is a slightly larger bed, so we need to search for something to cover the dinette cushions with so they make a more comfortable bed.
What's the best thing to use to make those cushions feel more like a bed?

Chris
ChrisAich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
wheel interested --

To quote Madeline Kahn, I've been 'weal inteh-wested' in this very subject for some time. Kimili provided some pics in a previous 'thwead.'

The next month is my time to act if I'm to have it by spring!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
And... a New Jersey dealer is so kind as to put up quite a number of pics of in-stock models: Colonial Airstream

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:00 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Garden Grove , CA
The Wet bath

I wondered too how I would like the combo bath that but it turned out just fine thank you.
We both shower and it's easy to just wipe it down afterward.
Main thing is to be sure the floor is dry as it's a pain to go in there later and end up with wet socks!

The interior aluminum does get cold. The furnace is excellent but having a blanket or sheet between you and the wall in bed is good. I always carry a heating pad to warm cold feet when necessary too. They shut off automatically now after a certain time.

Happy to say there is no glare. There is just a soft warm glow from the lights inside the overhead plexiglass cabinets.

We've never traveled in snow but the heater on cold nights in Fall and Spring is more than sufficient. I love the sound when it comes on. Very cozy.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Cute as a button. Would seem just the ticket for photo safaris. 1-2 people and German Shepherd.
Love those windows-wonder if they will let alot of cold in? Would like to do an occassional winter trip up north.

Does the aluminum interior get cold? Is there a lot of glare at night with the lights on? Are there ambient lights inside those plexiglass overhead cabinets?

How about the combo shower/toilet, how soon might that try my patience?

Any comments appreciated whether you have that unit or not. I find all the advice here to be helpful.

Also anyone have the new treated aluminum and have any problem with the exterior?

TIA, Carol
ChrisAich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 11:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Under certain condition..

Carol,
The only thing I notice is:
That under certain temp. conditions if you have more than two people inside, the ceiling and walls seem to condense with mositure.
Of course the heater wasn't on when this was noticed..
Other than that..
Perfect unit for putting on your IRS' under businesss expense as a roving office~among other things...
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Pope Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
Did you say winter? The Internationals don't have heated and insulated tanks and belly pans.
The 2005 25' CCD DOES have heated and insulated tanks as well as an enclosed and insulated underbelly.
Hit'the'road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Bigger not always better

In my opinion, the 25 ft Airstreams are considerably larger feeling than the 19-22, whether you choose the Safari or CCD line. This can be good and bad as it applies to the sense of roominess inside as well as the feeling of mass when towing and maneuvering. They are not only 3 ft longer, but 6" wider, and 1000lbs heavier, probably more when loaded up. Yet the price is usually pretty close so it is tempting to go bigger.

But consider your needs and planned usage before going larger. The larger trailer will definitely require a full-size tow vehicle, whereas a mid-size SUV or Dakota will tow the smaller trailers. I have pulled all of them and the difference IS noticeable, especially on hills, in windy conditions, and on winding two lane roads. All of which we have a lot of out here, so I am sensitive to it. In addition, the larger trailer will be more difficult to squeeze into state park campgrounds that are not designated for trailers, often the only ones left when travelling without reservations. Of course, if you always stay in bigger, uncrowded parks, it wouldn't matter.

Just want to present both sides to the "bigger is better" argument.

john
Old 12-18-2004, 03:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
We have a 2004 22' CCD. We bought it specifically for the floorplan, interior styling and length. I looked at the 16, 19' and determined they were too small for my family (2 adults and 2 kids - ages 12 and 9). The 25' and 28' were roomier, but were longer than I wanted to manage into my driveway and some National Forest campgrounds we frequent. Plus, the extra weight would have taxed my tow vehicle. We enjoy going to "Out-of-the way" campgrounds for privacy. Some campsites are very tight fits, even for the 22 footer. We wouldn't be able to get into these rustic sites with a 25' or 28' trailer. We spend alot of time outside while camping, under the awning and EZ-Up shelters. Yet, even when we were inside for several rainy days, we didn't get Claustrophobic.

The wet bath is not a problem for us. It's roomy enough for all the functions, yet doesn't waste valuable space like a dry bath does. This is our second trailer. The first, had a dry bath and took up alot of living space, all the time!

The 2004s CCDs (except the 16') have the enclosed, heated and insulated tanks. The 22' uses 12v heat strips, while the others use forced air from the furnace. There are pros and cons for both methods.

The interior aluminum walls will condensate on cold nights from respiration moisture if the trailer is not vented. I usually crack the rear window and the front Fantastic Fan cover. This seems to do the trick.

Everyone has different requirements and preferences. Airstream offers many good options in their product line to satisfy most. I hope that you find one that you will enjoy.

Bob
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Red face I wanna 22' CCD for Christmas

I'm being sorely tempted by a good off season deal on a new CCD, but of course I don't have a tow vehicle. Let's see, Reese Dual cam (puked when I found out what a Hensley cost), oversized mirrors, brake controller, tow package, backup camera (optional but a security blanket for a newbie), title, tags, taxes, insurance, place in a local RV condo lot, etc, etc.

Reality is rearing it's ugly head, but the salesman says he'll store it until I'm ready. Talk to me.

Anybody want to suggest a good used tow vehicle? I'd prefer a van or SUV to a pickup truck.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Ccd

The more we use our 28' CCD the more we love it. Camped last weekend & used the heat pump on the AC which kept it extremely warm. Never had to turn on the furnace. Even on cloudy days it's bright and open inside with the vista views and all the other windows.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Got our '04 22' CCD last April and had it on the road for over 40 nights this year so far (hey! Still over a week to go!)... It's truly a wonderful unit. So easy to tow (VW Touareg V8 SUV) and fun to own. The wet bath is fine. We live in the SW (Santa Fe, NM) and never have any condensation but on cold winter nights (~20 to 40 degrees), the interior skin does get cold to touch. The 22' has tank heaters and we installed solar. We have the entertainment and awning package. She's a member of the family now.

Does not get any better than this, IMHO.

These photos were taken within the last month at Moab, Pebble Beach, and somewhere along the California coast. We towed our "Silver Pearl" over 4,000 miles in November alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2574.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	9790   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2760.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	9791  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2782.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	9792  
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

GrEAt pictures Xray! Sounds like you are having a super time.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Paula,

With cost consideration in mind, a Ford Expedition with the 5.4L engine should work well with the 22' CCD. Some dealers are offering up to $10000 off MSRP this month on SUVs to get them off their lots.

Merry Christmas and I hope Santa gets you that CCD!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international