Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Question Am I crazy?

Ever since I saw the CDD interior back in a 2001 Wired magazine I have wanted one of these. This desire sat sated until I spent some time in an old Silver Streak, then on e-Bay looking for old Airtstreams and ran across an add for a '02 22' International CCD. So here's my plan. I start a new job in Goleta CA this coming January. After a year I am free to work from whatever remote location I can work out. I currently live in Portland, OR and know that I can't buy a house in the Santa Barbara area. So here is the crazy part. I am one phone call away from owning a 2005 25' International CCD which would be my primary residence (care of Flying Flags RV park in Buellton) for the next year. I would tow it down with a 78 Suburban then leave it parked and have my old Saab as my primary commuter car (Suburban drives back to Portland after delivery).

Can I survive living in a 25'? Is it a bad idea to leave a trailer without a tow vehicle? One resort in Santa Barbara wouldn't even allow it. I can rent a truck if I feel the desire to move.

Though I realize a new trailer is in no way an investment, I figure I would be paying $1200 for an apartment and at least with the trailer I can write off the interest and some of the payment is going toward something that is mine. I think all in all I would be living better for cheaper. I partially rationalize by telling myself this would be the only trailer I ever buy - v. starting out with something more affordable that I really don't want and constantly upgrading.

There was a 28' on the lot, and I actually liked it less for living alone. The 25' seemed to have better closet space and better kitchen storage. 28' had a nice bathroom, but when you're by yourself, who cares if you can close the door.

Any long-term RV living or CCD feedback appreciated. I have spent the last few nights reading around in this forum, and it only makes me want this to work out all the more. Also, if anyone has any ideas on where to live in a trailer in the Santa Barbara area would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Jill
halobender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jill,
OK - that idea rocks!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I spent four years living in the dorm in college. I think an airstream would be much nicer. Go for it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Am I crazy?

Greetings Jill!

It sounds like you have a very workable plan - - the most difficult issue in urban areas often is finding parks that allow long-term residency. With that out of the way, the 25' is quite liveable for a Free Wheeler in a long-term situation. I lived long-term in my '64 Overlander (26') when I moved to the Quad Cities in Illinois (the limiting factor in this region is the climate - - winters are too severe to consider full-timing in the Winter IMHO).

To me, the key was having two distinct living areas - - the bedroom area and the living area (I love my Minuet, but after a month it can become somewhat claustraphobic). While full-timing in the Overlander, I was actually very comfortable and felt more secure living in the RV park than in many residential neighborhoods where I have lived. After dealing with the red-tape involved in selling my house in the Quad Cities I almost wish that I had tried to workout an alternate plan with the Airstream (still a little more than two weeks from closing and it seems the red-tape mountain continues to build).

Good luck with your full-timing plan - - I think that you will enjoy the alternative living arrangements that full-timing offers.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Sounds good to me. If you don't like your neighbors you can pack up and leave. That's the best part. No first and last months rent is a bonus also! I think it's a great plan for someone single...when your ready to settle down the re-sale on an AS looks good, they really seem to hold their value well. Good luck to you!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
:) :) :)

Hi Jill!

Sounds smart and fun!

We have a 25'CCD which we absolutely adore!!!!!!!!!

For the past 6 months it has been parked in a campground and we use it only on weekends. We drive there with our regular car not our tow vehicle.

The trick is setting it up right the first time. Take your time. Choose your site spot carefully, take into consideration light and tree shade. Then park the trailer. Position your level in the freezer/refrigerator and start levelling to perfection. Front and back and yes! left and right. You might have to move the trailer a few times to get this perfect. ....nothing worse than sleeping in an unlevelled trailer for a long time. Start early, be patient and the results will pay off!

The 25'ccd is fantastic because it offers you 4 distict living spaces: kitchen, bedroom, dining area and living room. Storage is plentiful. You'll have a ball.

The longest we've lived in it has been almost 2 weeks this summer and we were: 3 adults, a child and two rather big dogs! We had no problems except for refrigerator space. Especially small when you have a watermelon loving kid!! A big cooler connected to the outside electrical outlet our great AS has solved the problem. It's a good solution for those extra beers too. Once you're connected to all three connections you're good to go, forever with the 25' ccd.

Don't worry for the tow vehicle. You should not need one if you choose wisely where and how to park in the first place and even if you did, you can always ask one of your new friends (you make many in campgrounds) to help you move it or just rent a truck for the day.

Money in rent is wasted away. An AS is everlasting. The 25' CCD is easy to maintain and it's clean lines are timeless. It's definetly a keeper.

Have fun and keep in touch!

PS
I have never full timed but the only times I feel rather cramped in a trailer is when you have particularly bad weather for a long time but that is not a problem in California!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by halobender

Also, if anyone has any ideas on where to live in a trailer in the Santa Barbara area would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Jill
Jill,

The coast north of SantA Barbara has quite few state parks, which allow short term stays if you get into a bind. Of course you would have to have a tow vehicle with you.
Another dilemma with the Santa barbara area for camping is the 101fwy and the Amtrak parallelling it. Buellton is definitely quieter.
You should take look in the Trailer life campground directory, and don't forget teh mountain area near Ojai.
Good Luck, and no, I don't think you're crazy...
Old 09-21-2004, 10:05 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Talking

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. I'M DOING IT! I am probably more excited about buying the AS than when I bought my house; I couldn't afford to buy my dream house, but I can afford to buy my dream trailer.

After this weekend I am a bit trailer tow shy. My boyfriend and I met my parents up I-5 about 90 miles to pick up our "new" old drift boat they purchased on the Olympic Peninsula for us. They towed it fine. About 40 miles down I-5 on our return trip there was a thump then an "oh *expletive* we just lost the boat". I turned around to see the back-heavy boat bucking around like a wild bronco behind us. Travis was smart and slowed down at a speed which allowed the boat to drag and slow itself down without runing into the suburban. As we finally hit the shoulder and stopped, the boat and trailer broke free and passed us by. Thank you! to brilliant, road-friendly truckers who stopped behind us so there were no cars passing by as the boat crossed 2 lanes and stopped on the WIDE right shoulder and came to rest against the median. Travis was able to run to the other side and a friendly soul stopped to help him drag it back to where we had stopped. After another break in traffic he was able to run it across the freeway and hook it to the truck. The safety chain had been welded on and was quite rusted; it just broke free after all that bucking activity. We limped along the next mile to an exit and with directions from the WSP found a hardware store to buy a bungee cord (to tension the tongue to the ball), heavy chains and connectors. We made it home safely. We were lucky. Every one around us was lucky. I figure I can put more trust into the tongue of a 2005 AS than this '72 boat trailer, but it has put the fear of god into me.

Also, I found the Wired magazine article which started this all for me (12/2001) and here is a great quote for you CCD owners out there (and you Christopher, sorry for your loss):
Quote:
"One irony of America's fascination with life on the road is that, while there is nothing quite as cool and romantic as the idea of striking out on the highway for unknown destinations, there is really nothing quite as unromantic as the way millions accomplish it: the RV. It's a problem of aesthetics. The interior of so-called recreational vehicles...comes in two basic styles: cheap and plasticky (shag carpets, simulated wood-grain cabinetry and the unbanishable smell of fiberglass solvents) and expensive and plasticky (shag carpets, mood lighting, pastel upholstery, glass partitions, etched images of big cats - think Graceland jammed into a corridor)".
Ok I'll stop now - it was a long, great article. The design model was far more spectacular than anything I've seen in production, but the CCD is still just beautiful.

Again, thank you all. I will keep you posted on the new trailer and my adventure of long-term AS living.

- Jill
Old 09-21-2004, 10:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh My!

Jill, I think you'll find towing the AS to be easier than the old boat, BUT, get your rigging hooked up right from the start. Make sure your hitch is rated heavy enough (I'm guessing you need bigger than a class III hitch), that you have the right SIZE ball (boats and trailers are different sometimes), a weight distribution hitch, and sway control. Do you have an electronic brake controller for the trailer? The trailer brakes on a AS are controlled by a little black box (electronic brake) that usually is under the dash. Boat trailer brakes are usually controlled by the weight of the trailer moving forward (surge brakes).

Otherwise, I think you're in good shape. By the way, I did the reverse trip this summer (Santa Cruz North to Seattle via the coast). The coast is beautiful....however, for less white knuckles, I'd stay off the coast on the 1 north of San Fransisco. The curves are TIGHT! It doesn't look that way on the map. 101 isn't so bad.
I think you have a great idea.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
The Simple Life

Jill-

Glad you've made the decision, and advice about double checking hitch and brake controllers to tow trailer to Buellton is good! We've stayed there, and it's a long commute to Santa Barbara, but beautiful whether down 101 or over the mountains by Santa Ynez and Reagan Ranch...

We live in Silicon Valley, and less than a mile from old Mobile Home Park on the El Camino Real... A gentleman has lived there in an Airstream International 25 since 1973, and is quite content, though he has added a small storage shed alongside his Airstream for extra stuff. Assuming you can avoid clutter, it should make a great home for a year, and you can always leave the vacation house for a motel to get away from it all if needed...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:15 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

another portland airstream newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by halobender
Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. I'M DOING IT! I am probably more excited about buying the AS than when I bought my house; I couldn't afford to buy my dream house, but I can afford to buy my dream trailer.
Jill, I live in Portland, just sold my house, and now have to learn how to hitch/tow/park my Tradewind. I'll be headed down to Pacific Grove, CA, and then southern Arizona. I would love to meet up with someone else who is learning this process so please pm me if you're interested in chatting. Any other locals are welcome to respond as I'm starting from scratch here and feeling a little lost
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:45 PM   #12

A couple of months in, what is the verdict?

How is it going, and would you do it again?
gjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wink Full timing in a 22ft CCD

I've been doing it for all of three weeks - and the biggest surprise is all of the widowers I've met - five so far, just in my campground. I wasn't looking for or expecting to find any romances, but it is nice to know that there are a few men whose wives won't get jealous if I ask to borrow a strap wrench.

If I were looking, the pickings might not be all that good. Here's the story of one of them: This man lost his first wife to cancer, then met his "second lady" while RV'ing in a big motor home. She died in a tragic accident - she was up getting a cup of coffee while he was driving - they hit a bump, she fell against the door which opened, she fell out and was run over by the moho. Now, this man either lives under the black cloud of tragedy... or ... whatever. I don't think I'll get too chummy with him either way.

I travel for business and pleasure, but have had some really BAD motel experiences (you don't wanna know). I'd also gotten very tired of maintaining and cleaning a huge old house. I decided not to wait until retirement but go ahead and try full-timing for a few years, then reevaluate. I'm definitely getting a lot of aerobic exercise just getting up into the Suburban - and I spend a lot more time outdoors being social and walking through the campground.

Some people may think a 22 is too small, but for one person, why not? I just make the bed up nicely every day using the down comforter in a duvet trick (fluffing covers a multitude of sins) and LOTS of pillows rimming the whole front window. It looks like a day bed or couch - but you need a little stool to get up on it with both a featherbed and the comforter. I really enjoyed vacuuming which takes three minutes. Shaking out the rugs takes as long.

Spring has been late arriving here, so I've spent a bit more time inside than I originally expected to, but I find I always have a project or two that keeps me busy. Yesterday was about 64 degrees and sunny - and a three day wind storm had finally abated, so I really enjoyed walking around the camp, meeting people, watching birds - we have snowy egrets, blue herons, canada geese, several varieties of thrushes, mourning doves, etc.

Heading out for adventure next week. Going to western Virginia then on to Jackson Center for a few tweaks - and I'll visit family in Ohio.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Post Update

I have no regrets. I LOVE the trailer and even kind of dig living in a RV park. My "chores" take all of about 5 minutes on the weekend – big upside. The park staff is super friendly and they keep the place neat and tidy. It's always interesting to arrive at home on Friday to a full park and have it mostly cleared out by noon on Sunday. After a couple of moves around the park, I'm in a great end spot with a permanently empty space behind me (see attached). One of the employees, with 2 chows, moved into the storage yard across the "street" and the dogs are left outside 24/7 and take to barking between 3 and 5 am, or anytime a dog walks by, or anytime an employee enters the storage yard, or…well, it doesn’t take much to get them going. Of course park guests are not allowed to keep dogs outside unattended and are responsible for keeping them quiet. It's driving me a bit nuts, but other than the barkers I really have one of the best spaces in the park. I don't know what I'll do. I may look into a new park. I haven’t yet checked prices or availability in the area ‘mobile home’ parks. There are a few near where I work, which would also cut down on the 60 miles a day that I am currently driving.

The central coast of California is about perfect for living in an AS. Not too cold, not too hot. I did pick the wettest year in the last 100 or so, but being from Portland I'm used to it. Already I can spend more time living outside.

One challenge of living in the trailer has been keeping the Labrador off of the bed while I'm away at work. He figured out the first day that the screen is in no way an impenetrable barrier and crawled underneath to gain access to the forbidden bed. The screen folded back into place with minimal damage. I have crafted a barricade of a large box, the liquor cabinet (/cooler) and an extra suitcase that doesn't fit anywhere else. It seems to be working. Even the dog is enjoying the trailer life as he gets 2 walks a day and a trip to the river or the beach for swimming on Sundays.

All in all, I think I packed well. It helps that I'm not on the road otherwise I would have left some perks out due to weight or fear of breakage. I knew if I packed too light I would end up buying some things which I left at home so it was a balancing act. Limited closet space has put a bit of a curb on my usual shopping habits, which is probably good.

I’ll keep the forum updated as to any new changes or challenges.

- Jill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	space.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	11662   Click image for larger version

Name:	space2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	11663