Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #1

Airstream International CCD 2004 or 2005 ?

I'm trying to decided between a 2004 CCD 28' and a 2005. The 2004 has the combined gray/black water tank. It also has a cupboard ubove the dinette. Since Airstream separated the black & grey waste water tanks, I'm assuming the was a negative to having them combined. If so, I'll go for the 2005. But, I'd prefer to buy the 2004 because it has the additional storage above the dinette and this one I'm looking at has a Hensley Hitch. Would you share your thoughts with me? Thank you.
citydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We have an '05 28' CCD, and we don't really miss that over head cabinet and we like the vista view windows. The combo tank could lessen your flexibility when dry camping (you can't drain off gray water to the gfround around you, which is ok at many sights as it is only from the sinks and shower). But if your combo tank fills up, you need to head for the dump station.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We have a 2005 28' CCD. We were initally disappointed when A/S deleted the dinette storage locker after 2004, but the under-window storage bin in the front more than compensates. We like the vista views--they offer both light and privacy. We were also happy with the deletion of the wall between the galley and L-sofa for model year 2005; it really opens up the place. Can't really address the combo gray/black tank issue, since we don't have one. I would want to make sure the tank sensors work, though; would hate to have THAT back up in the shower!

Good luck with your decision!
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Add to the fact that the 2005s have an upgraded GVWR based on more robust axles and higher rock guards, I'd also go with the 2005 and buy the hensley seperately.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Price might also be a big consideration. How much will you save between the 2004 and 2005.

As for how you camp:
Yes, with Boondocking, having separate tanks will allow you to drain off Gray water and lessen your trips to the dump station. This is my situation and it allows for some really nice secluded and peaceful camping. However, not everybody Boondocks. If you're one for camping in KOAs and the like with full hookups, then the combined tanks won't make much of a difference.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Price might also be a big consideration. How much will you save between the 2004 and 2005.

Right now, if you can find a 2005 on a dealer lot, they are blowing them out....for example, there is a 31' Dinette at www.colonialairstream.com right now that is about 23% off list or 17k off the 71k sticker price thats 4% lower than the standard 19% off a coach with no trade..... real tempting.

...and by the way, the seperate tanks are great to have...that may be why they changed it back....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
_

. , .
hello citydoll

welcome to airstreams which ever one you choose!

i would be hard pressed to buy ANY travel trailer with combined tanks.....

i suppose if planning to rarely travel or always camp with sewer hookup... but that would be a deal breaker for me.

iirc, not all of the 05's have the uprated axles but this is another plus.....

i do like the hensley but if tight for funds this could be a later upgrade if one of the other sway control hitches wasn't satisfactory....

so i vote for the 05.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
separate tanks and boondocking

Bob, even staying at Galax VA Fiddlers Convention for a week showed an advantage to having separate tanks for grey and black water -- we've never needed to pump out black tank in up to ten days and more, but grey on our CCD22 fills up quickly and even on larger AS's might be hard pressed to run more than four or five days without dumping or pumping. But separate tanks allows (in some venues) draining off the grey water to appropriate disposal less regulated than black water would be.

Regardless, we wish our grey tank was larger even if it meant our black tank would be smaller. Unless we are super careful, we cannot go more than about two-three days on our grey tank.
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 international