Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #1

28' CCD: Right turn signal blows fuse

I have a 2004 28' CCD that within the last month causes a fuse to blow when the right turn signal is activated. I took my tow vehicle in to the dealer and they couldn't find any issues with wiring. I want to attempt to track the short down from the pigtail on. These CCD's have the wiring running through the roof, so I really don't know where to start.

Anyone have any advise (other than take it to the Airstream dealer)?

Thanks
michaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
It sounds like you have a short in the wiring going to the right turn signal/brake light. I would confirm that you have a short by checking with an Ohm Meter. Check for resistance between the right turn signal feed and ground feed at the plug on the trailer. If it is zero, you have a short somewhere. It might even be in the bulb, so I would check there first. I haven't seen but one or two, but is is an easy place to start. If that isn't it, remove the tailight and see if something is pinched there. If you haven't found it by then, you might try a short finder. I don't know if they will work thru the interior aluminum, but it is worth a try. They can be purchased at J.C.Whitney or from a automotive tool supplier. The short finder sends a power pulse down the wire. By using a sensitive inductive meter (part of the kit) you can follow the wire with the short until the meter no longer deflects. That is the location of the short. Of course, the problem then is getting to it!! I had an intermintent short in the tailight circuit on an older Coleman that I had. It wouldn't stay shorted long enough to find it, but would consistantly blow fuses going down the road. I finally ran a new wire from front to back and isolated the old wire to fix the problem. You might find that you will have to do the same thing.

Good Luck. You will need it. Finding a short is always difficult, even for the experienced.

Jim Mickle
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
28' CCD: Right turn signal blows fuse

Greetings Michaero!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaero

I have a 2004 28' CCD that within the last month causes a fuse to blow when the right turn signal is activated. I took my tow vehicle in to the dealer and they couldn't find any issues with wiring. I want to attempt to track the short down from the pigtail on. These CCD's have the wiring running through the roof, so I really don't know where to start.

Thanks
My coaches are both somewhat older than yours, but each time that I have experienced this problem it was a result of corrosion of the terminals in the Bargman connector. I have had the same experience on both ends (car and trailer), but if the trailer must be connected to blow the fuse I would suspect the trailer end as a possibility.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:56 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaero

Thanks
Another possibility is the circuit board in the taillight housing. I believe the CCD's have LED taillights, which employ a small circuit board. I recommend you open up the taillight in question and take a good look inside. Maybe someone can turn the light on while you watch the lamp circuit with it opened up. Good Luck!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Another possibility is the circuit board in the taillight housing. I believe the CCD's have LED taillights, which employ a small circuit board. I recommend you open up the taillight in question and take a good look inside. Maybe someone can turn the light on while you watch the lamp circuit with it opened up. Good Luck!
Thanks for the advise and good wishes. I finally took the unit to the dealer and had them track the short down. Turns out there was a frayed wire. They spent 4 hours finding and fixing it. Thankfully it was still under warranty!
michaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Charlotte , NC
After two years of frustration with similar issue - one year ago I pushed my dealer in South Carolina to replace the umbilical cord based on forum feedback and "razor-like" cuts I could see that came from the sharp edge of the propane tank cover. I also glued in a rubber edge (split some tubing I purchased at ACE and glued on the bumper to cover the sharp edges). One year later and the problem has disappeared? If you have this issue - replacement of the cord seems to be the solution. I will also add that though the dealer was reluctant - Airstream customer service was supportive of the replacement and covered under warranty.
SteelyRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 international