Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
22' Dinette change to L-pull out

Thought I would share - the latest reno job - this time on the new to us CCD.

After spending considerable time in the Modpod - I decided that I hated the dinette. It was uncomfortable to sit on - I'm too low and always had to put cushions under the butt. I banged my elbow on the bathroom door knob every time because the door did not swing far enough. And making that dang bed up was a real real pain in the butt too.

I was in a friends trailer several years back and loved how the L-seating worked - although that model also had the dinette at the end aswell. But the ease of making up the bed was key to me.

So out came the design ideas and put Peter to work in building the new base. We then took it to a cabinet company to laminate it with aluminum - not Formica but the real deal.

Attachment 130358

Attachment 130357

In a small trailer it is important to have two easy access sleeping areas - cause the front bed is way too small in my opinion for two people (and a couple of dogs )
Attachment 130356

Attachment 130353

We were heading out west for his assessment into the transplant program and needed this done quickly. I did not have time to get the cushions upholstered - so we just covered them. That job is still pending.

The new lay out worked fantastic. We put in double/separate tables - but thus far we basically only use one. And many times it stows away.

Attachment 130352
I found a cool little ottoman that fits under the desk - the seat top removes and flips and becomes a cocktail tray - and there is also storage underneath. Makes a good foot stool and the right height for the back desk. I am glad that I did not removed the desk as initially planned as it is a great place for the microwave and toaster oven - since we don't use our oven just the burners.

I removed the old curtains and made new ones that actually block the light at night!. The existing accordion bedroom door did not close worth poop either so I removed the old track and put in some curtain track from the 99 Excella and made lightweight curtains that are like a hospital bed curtain - opens and closes with real ease. It opens from both sides - so if you need the AC and privacy you have both.
Attachment 130354

Attachment 130355

At some point this summer I would like to have the cushions upholstered and I am going with - yep you guessed it a wine red faux industrial automotive leather material can't afford the real leather not now anyway.

Peter still has one door to put on the front of the base unit - but now I am so used to not having it - I think I may just leave it. The cabinet people have a two top corners to do (they forgot) and they did not follow the instructions for the two tables in white laminate on both sides. We could not wait to have them finish it before our trip out west. We went out early July - Peter flew home and then I travelled until the end of August. So no time to get the trailer back in for the work to be done.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to open your attachments. I'd love to see what you've done, as I'm debating on how to rebuild the interior of my Bambi II. Sounds pretty interesting!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hmm I just paid the $20 donation and got no red warning up - maybe they were too big or something - they did show up fine on my preview but then came up with the link - of course the link opens for me but not for you

Will try uploading again but smaller files.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Seven attachments, all came up clearly here...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Not going to mess about with the order sure you all can figure it out...

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7540.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	130362

Name:	_DSC7539.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	130361

Name:	DSC_8402.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	130364

Name:	_DSC7527.jpg
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	130360

Name:	DSC_8390.jpg
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	130363

Name:	_DSC7523.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	130359

Name:	DSC_8407.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	130365
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Thanks, Peter & Sharon. I can see them now! It looks great. I'll put this in my folder of ideas!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
That is great. Very nice design and execution. How many adults can sit comfortably when both tables are in place?
Thanks,
Tim
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzog View Post
That is great. Very nice design and execution. How many adults can sit comfortably when both tables are in place?
Thanks,
Tim
Hi Tim;

One on the end and three down the long side. I also have a stool but you could have 2-3 of them on the galley side if need be for dinner on a down poor - but of course eating outside is so much more fun.

For now as I am actually living in my trailer - I have taken one table and use it as an extenuation to the desk - with sliders under the desk. I have not attached it permanently so I can still set it up as a double table if need be. The remaining table I pop in the hole closest to the door for meals. When I am working I pop it in the hole closest to the desk to form a larger desk area with both table tops for use.

When I am just relaxing I take the table out completely and have the L seating as my lounge and pop in a movie in the Mac that sits on the extension for a nice "den". It really is quite versatile and not all complicated to take in and out up and down or switch things around. My table for now when I take it out sits along side the back of the seat by the door and the post I pop in the closet. Normally the tables are stowed under the desk but I have file boxes and a big bin of dog food tee hee - so stationary usage is a bit different than when I am on the road.

Great trailer, great capacities, and the L-seating with the pull out is FAR more functional in my opinion than the dinette - which had the seating cramped up agains the wheel well. The table way too high for the seats and the seats were massively uncomfortable - and to make that up as a bed cause more bruises and frustration than anyone should suffer LOL. And it was the most uncomfortable bed I had ever slept on in my life.

This bed is almost 7 feet long and over four feet wide and the cushions were much better quality - just waiting to have them professionally covered. Then I can have snaps made to keep them on the wall for the back rest and snap the base cushion on the long side in so that it does not slip back.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Thanks! Could you give me some more details about the dimensions of the L dinette. I am building the inside of my 20' Caravelle from scratch and I am having a tough time deciding how to design the dinette. My plan is to have a fixed bed in front and there will be a 78" space along the side wall which would be a great place for seating like yours. Specifically, how deep is the seat from the wall to the front of the seat and how thick are the backrest cushions?
Thanks again,
Tim
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
2005 25' International CCD
San Antonio , Texas
I just bought a 2005 22CCD. Any chance that you any the design for the L sofa pullout or measuremntes? It looks great.

Damon
210-865-0830
Nomad_Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #11

2003 22' International
Cornwall , Ontario
Me too I hate the dinette. I shortened the leg by about an inch that helped the height problem but that darn wheel well is a drag. I absolutely love what you have done. Colors are gorgeous. You have inspired me. Thanks for sharing.
RiverLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Hope Valley , Rhode Island
I see that the original post is rather old but still...My husband is going to love seeing this....he complains about our dinette every time we sit there! Beautiful job!
Ornstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
It has been a long while since I have been at the forum....noticed a few members were interested in the measurements of the L-seating unit that was installed in my 05 CCD 22'.

I will get out and measure the unit and post them up in the next day or so. It is a fairly simple system.

One thing that is noted: The curved wheel well cover was removed and the curved pieces were utilized in the re-designed unit. We gained quite a bit more storage by incorporating three small storage units - that take small plastic bins.

I have had this set up now for 6 years and I have NO regrets. It is still as versatile as the day we completed it. Easy to slide, easy to make up the bed. Various table positions for different occasions. The three stage pull out works great. Full in for bench seating, part way out for lounging, and full out for the bed. In any position there is lots of room to work in the galley and get to the bathroom and desk area.

If the members who posted above are still hanging about and want to PM me for further information please feel free to do so.

Tags
2005 international