Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2002, 09:07 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Wink International AS

I have a new baby! I brought her home for the first time on 5/31/02.

Sadly, because of our covenants, she sleeps in the storage yard tonight. This is the perfect size trailer for sort of travel the wife and myself do. IMHO, the Bambi is too small and the others too wide and too heavy.

So far, quality has been just about perfect with the exception of the water heater switch and the Fantastic fan control which were installed very crooked. I fixed this quickly, but why does Airstream pass such shoddy workmanship that makes the interior look tacky?

I disassembled the dressing table and cut offf a big chunk as it was far too close to the head of the bed and I cracked an elbow on it the first time I took a nap. My modification made the table a much better place to use my laptop computer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Pahaska,
Congratulations on your new International and Welcome to AirstreamForums. I looked at one at an RV show and really liked the new look, there is a thread on the forum about the new international with pictures be sure to look at it. As far as a forum for your trailer I am the moderator and will ask the webmaster guru to add you to the list pronto.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 05:36 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Question Where?

I have looked all over the place and I can't find the International thread and photos you mentioned. Can you give me a URL or tell me ewhere to look, please?
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-05-2002, 10:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Look in the "Our Community" forum.
Also, the forum for Internationals has been ordered it should be here shortly.

John
Old 06-20-2002, 07:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
las vegas , Nevada
Smile International CCD & AS

Hi Guys, I send an e-mail to Prahaska, I just bought a 2003 International CCD.. How can I be a part of the International Forum.?..Please advise. betteleal@aol.com

Bette Leal
betteleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:27 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
International forum

By popular demand a 2003 International forum has been added to the Trailer forums, post to your hearts content.

John
Old 06-20-2002, 10:29 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Thanks

Thanks, 83Excella. We (Bette and I) seem to be the first in here with unique Airstream products.

Mine is so vintage looking from the outside that I have been asked twice now whether it is a restored vintage model The CCD, with big windows on the curb side, looks a bit less vintage. When they look inside either model, there is no question.

Both models share a lot of interior structural components, especially the bath, dinette, bed, and wardrobe, Curved edges abound in both models, making the confined space very user friendly. The feeling one gets inside the trailers is totally different though, due to the surface materials and colors used.

I never liked the "European" look and I dislike Volvos and Scandinavian furniture, so my obvious choice was the AS. That choice was reinforced by the terrific galley space in the AS. Someone who likes the "European" look, Volvos, and Scandinadian furniture will obviously like the CCD better.

What both models share is an unaplolgetic departure from the traditional, square-cornered, wood interior. I applaud Airstream for taking a step into the future with this model. I hope that the basic design features migrate to the larger trailers as well.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-21-2002, 07:23 AM   #8
Contributing Member

Lightbulb Lazy-Susan Pantry

Anyone who has an International AS or who is buying one should contact me regarding my fix for items bouncing off the Lazy-Susan pantry and possibly jamming the pantry in the closed position.

If this happens with a hard item, there is absolutely no way to get your hand in there to free it. I was lucky that the items that came adrift on my first trip were soft pastries and could not jam the rotation.

Even if nothing jams the rotation, it is extrememly difficult to get a hand in under the Lazy-Susan to retrieve anything that falls off. There is a solid wall between the adjacent drawers and the Lazy-Susan, so that there is nowhere one can reach in except to jam a hand in under the trays. The only alternative, IF you can get it open far enough to get to the hinges, is to unload and remove the entire pantry.

Fixing mine took about an hour and a half of design and implementation. Now that I have a proven design, one can be done in about a half-hour. E-mail me and I can provide a photo and instructions.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-21-2002, 01:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
John,
Have you contacted the factory about this problem? they would probably want to know.

John
Old 06-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #10
Contributing Member

How best to contact the factory

I would like the factory to be aware of this. If it happened to me on the first trip, it will happen to someone else in the future and if the article is hard and of the wrong shape, it would be a real problem to get in there and free the Lazy-Susan. All it takes is hard braking, a steep incline, or a good bump to cause the problem. In my case I assume that it was hard braking because a lady ahead of me couldn't make up her mind, but my driveway is a pretty steep downhill incline and it could have happened then..

If someone can tell me who to email or a number to call, I surely will do so.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-21-2002, 09:39 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Next modification - stove vent hood

I had occasion to use the stove hood fan on my last trip. Just like every other trailer I've ever owned, it is a screaming banshee. There is one speed and that speed is far too loud and far too fast to do the job properly.

I'll use the present light switch on the vent hood to switch in and out a resistor to slow the fan to a more reasonable speed. On my last trailer, I used two 5-ohm resistors in series with the fan motor with a switch to short around one of the resistors. Depending on the switch setting, the fan then had either 5 or 10 ohms in series to slow the speed. That should work fine with this trailer.

You ask what I'll do for a vent hood light switch? I'll simply run a wire from the vent hood light through the bottom of the cabinet to the light fixture about a foot away. That light has 2 bulbs so that you can select one or both bulbs to come on. I'll simply wire the vent hood light to the bulb that first comes on. I almost always end up turning both that light and the vent hood light on together anyway.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-22-2002, 09:22 AM   #12
Contributing Member

Wish list item

I wish the outside access door to the under-bed storage on the AS was a bit larger so that a regular folding chair could be carried under there. There is a lot of space and not very much access to it. I had to buy a new pair of chairs that fold up into narrow bags.

I suspect that the reason for the smallish door is that it is a common build item with the CCD which has the bed rotated across the trailer. This way both trailers have the same hardware.

OTOH, the AS does have two nice big under-bed drawers that really add to the interior storage.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-24-2002, 04:47 PM   #13
Contributing Member

Pantry fix and door keys

I e-mailed Airstream today describing my Lazy-Susan pantry fix and attached photos of my fix. We'll see what their response is.

I also e-mailed Airstream concerning my inability to get International door keys duplicated in Austin. Even our largest lock shop with many square yards of key blanks couldn't duplicate keys for me. This is good in a way since no one is likely to have a key that fits my door. OTOH, I shudder to think about a lost key out in the boonies somewhere.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-26-2002, 08:45 AM   #14
Contributing Member

Another small, but annoying, goof

In the wet bath of the AS, there is a bracket intended to hold the pull-out faucet spray in position to serve as a shower head. I say intended! This morning, I was taking some photos so I pulled out the faucet head to hang it in the bracket.

It didn't fit. The bracket is located on the curve of the ceiling and there is absolutely no way to insert the spray head in the bracket.

I unscrewed the bracket to see if there was a better location. Underneath was an extra set of screw holes. The bracket had been installed and then moved about 3/8" (why, I don't know). Neither set of holes woild allow the spray head to be inserted in the bracket.

I finally turned the bracket upside down. The spray head now fits in the bracket (kinda), but the spray angle is all wrong.

Someone at Airstream just isn't paying attention.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-28-2002, 01:22 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
Dear John & Pahaska,

Alittle confused how to use this forum, (threads, etc.).. But am enjoying your "International " A/S & CCD discussions. Ordered my CCD from Southwest Coaches in Irvine, Ca May 18th.. still waiting for delivery.. seems a lot of delays but trying to be patient. Will have to learn how to post pictures, etc. looking forward to sharing ideas.. Anyone else with a CCD yet?

Bette Leal
Las Vegas, NV
Old 06-28-2002, 07:32 AM   #16
Contributing Member

Hi Bette

Welcome to the International family.

We will probably find some problems in common since there is a lot more in common between the two models than is apparent at first glance.

I'm sure you will love your CCD as much as I do my AS. Everytime I use it, I like it more. I'm off again next week for a few days hiking and kayaking at Canyon of the Eagles.

Longest trip so far is just about 125 miles each way. Trailer tows like a dream with no sway.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-28-2002, 10:56 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
Dear John,

Thank you for your prompt reply re: International A/S & CCD. Will be we have "one forum" for both models? What is a "2003 Limited"? I saw a forum for it, but no information.. I look forward to sharing ideas.. thank you..Am axious to start "RVing" by August with a few short shakedown trips." Do you know anyone that has the CCD?

Bette Leal

PS. I don't think I received your previous emails or I would have replied.sorry..
Old 06-28-2002, 12:02 PM   #18
Contributing Member

CCD

There was a new owner getting a walkthrough of a CCD when I was at the dealers, but I didn't have any chance to say more than hello-goodbye. Hopefully, he will join WBCCI and I will get to know him.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-04-2002, 12:36 PM   #19
Contributing Member

Third trip and more to-dos

I spent three rainy days in the trailer and found a few more to-dos. Nothing earth-shaking, but enough to keep me busy.

The major problem I found is that the surface under the mattress is narrower than the mattress itself. Whenever I sit on the edge of the bed, the mattress creeps over the edge. Pretty soon, the fitted sheet is pulled off the mattress and it is hard enough to make the bed in the first place. The challenge will be to engineer a ledge to trap the mattress without it being a knee-knocker.

I need to put something on the walls at the dinette to protect the light-colored wall fabric from being discolored where heads unavoidably touch the wall while watching TV.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-10-2002, 11:11 AM   #20
Contributing Member

Latest "Fix"

During my rainy-day excursion, I spent quite a bit of time perched on the edge of the bed, using my laptop on the dressing table. Because the mattress overlaps the plywood underneath, the head end of the mattress kept creeping off the pedestal.

I measured and found that the mattress actually overhangs the plywood by a full 3" when the bed is made up with spread and cover tucked between the mattress and the wall. The plywood is too thin to extend without bracing.

Because of the drawers underneath the bed, there is only about 13" at the head of the bed where the platform can be extended. I fired up my woodworking shop and made a "mattress retainer" to be installed at the head of the bed. The material used was actually all removed from the rear of the trailer during one of my prior changes except for the aluminum angle (underneath, not seen) that mounts the extension.

This should pin the head of the matress to the wall very nicely
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed_fix.jpg
Views:	2223
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	317  
WBCCI #9632

Tags
2003 international