Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2003, 02:37 PM   #141
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: Radio, got to be a better way

Quote:
Originally posted by markjoandall
John,
I've just given up using the radio.
I have to admit that I don't always follow the "rules".

I suspect that there might very well be a window in that cabinet door before all is said and done. I would cut and trim the window and then put in some hardwood to move the radio out into the opening.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:50 PM   #142
1 Rivet Member

Quality Issues Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRadio
I've been steadily working myself up into a lather regarding the purchase of a new Airstream. But after reading Rob and Rebecca's quality issues with their new purchase, I'm having MAJOR second thoughts.

What the heck is going on? Is it true that once Thor Industries bought A/S, the quality went south? Sure sounds like it.

Crap workmanship such as they described is simply inexcusable -- especially on a trailer that costs as much as what they paid.

I am so very disappointed... and sadly, I feel my desire to purchase an A/S quietly ebbing away....
Having read this and many other accounts of the shortfall in quality of the new a/s we also are considering new purchase - how far back do we need to go to get the original quality ? ANybody?
gnorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:58 PM   #143
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Quailty issuses

I can't speak for others, but we just purchased an 04 Safari & to date I really can't fault the workmanship. While we haven't used it to much, everything appears to work fine & the quality of finish work is a whole lot better than our 02 Bambi. A noisey water pump, along with the deadbolt lock, is the only things I have discovered so far. There are bound to be some items overlooked or not up to par. Some items the dealers should find & fix, if the they're on the ball. For instance, the deadbolt lock is on the A/S pre-delivery check out list, but the dealer never used it. If they would have, they could have fixed it prior to delivery.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:37 PM   #144
1 Rivet Member

We had a front-end leak on our 2003 AS. Our first trip in our new trailer was a weekend down the coast. Driving home we ran through heavy rains, when we unloaded the trailer we found the carpet at the front of the trailer-soaking wet. Because the dealer is 120 miles away I pulled the carpet up and ran a space heater to dry it out, I found the wire harness under the trailer had not been sealed properly at the factory. I took care of the problem myself because I did not want to take a day off work to drive to the dealer. I then wrote a letter to Dick Riegel at Airstream and explained what had happened. Very promptly I received reimbursement for the sealant and a couple of Airstream chairs for our inconvenience, this was followed up by a call from Dick.
We have been extremely happy with our trailer and with the quality of the product and service we have received both from our dealer George Sutton RV and Airstream.
We like to dry camp and found that the 22’ AS was short on gas storage and power. This has been rectified with the addition of 30# aluminum gas tanks and dual batteries.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:50 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
How did you add the second battery to your 22? Photos would be appreciated.

The AS factory wanted $600 to add the second battery to my 2003 Safari 25 SS. I'm looking for a reasonably priced alternative.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:01 PM   #146
1 Rivet Member

I went down to a local sheet metal company and had them make up a brushed stainless steel box - $122. I wanted a real clean look for my project so I also had them cut an 1/8"aluminum diamond plate to cover the entire trailer tongue - $95. I repositioned the new gas tanks just behind the electric jack and mounted the new battery box where the original tanks were located.
It's raining now so you'll have to wait for pictures.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:27 PM   #147
1 Rivet Member

Up-grade

dmac - here are pictures of the up-grade. The entire project cost less than $600, that amount includes the additional battery and fill up of the new gas tanks. I have about 4 days of my labor into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-017S.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	6767   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-016S.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	6768  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-015S.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	6769  
Old 05-28-2004, 09:48 AM   #148
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Wilmington , Delaware
What a great looking setup!!!

How about you letting your prototype go so that your next one is even better?

Seriously, any thoughts on making and selling more?
Trailertroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #149

2020 25' Globetrotter
2019 Nest
Mississauga , Ontario
I'd be grateful for your help with these instructions and pix. thanks!

Do you still have this information? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Anyone who has an International AS or who is buying one should contact me regarding my fix for items bouncing off the Lazy-Susan pantry and possibly jamming the pantry in the closed position.

If this happens with a hard item, there is absolutely no way to get your hand in there to free it. I was lucky that the items that came adrift on my first trip were soft pastries and could not jam the rotation.

Even if nothing jams the rotation, it is extrememly difficult to get a hand in under the Lazy-Susan to retrieve anything that falls off. There is a solid wall between the adjacent drawers and the Lazy-Susan, so that there is nowhere one can reach in except to jam a hand in under the trays. The only alternative, IF you can get it open far enough to get to the hinges, is to unload and remove the entire pantry.

Fixing mine took about an hour and a half of design and implementation. Now that I have a proven design, one can be done in about a half-hour. E-mail me and I can provide a photo and instructions.
SS110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #150
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS110 View Post
Do you still have this information? Thanks!
Sorry, but it has been too long and I have upgraded computers a couple of times since. I erased that material a couple of years ago.

What I did was wrap a sheet of aluminum around the pantry that was attached at the one end to the pantry so that it could slip through a slot. At the other end of the pantry, the sheet was attached to the cabinet frame. When the pantry was turned closed, the sheet was pulled tight against the shelves. When the pantry was turned open, the sheet slipped through the slot and allowed access to the shelves.

This is a lot harder to describe than it was to accomplish, but it worked very well.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international