Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Limited > 1993-1997 Limited
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Chatham , Ontario
Dometic RM7030 Fridge

I have been away from this forum for almost 3 years as our Airstream has been in storage. I am planning to use it this summer but think that the cooling unit has gone. Does anyone have any experience with the replacement units made by the Amish? The website looks good but I'm from Canada and will also have border issues.
Ins. Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Just out of idle curiosity, why do you think the cooling unit has gone? It has no moving parts and doesn't actually do anything unless it is heated by the electric heater or propane... Do you have an ammonia smell? Yellow powdery stains on or around the tubing?

Assuming it is dead, we rebuilt our RM2820 with a rebuilt cooling unit from the Amish (can't remember the website) five years ago and it still works great. It is a couple of hours of effort but requires no special skills (obvious, considering I did it...)

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Chatham , Ontario
Thanks Mike, at this point I have just described the problem to a mechanic and this is what he thought that it might be. I haven't had it looked at yet. The last time I used it it the fridge wouldn't cool but the freezer would cool somewhat, but not freeze by any means. It didn't matter whether I was on gas or electricity. It'sa side by side if that makes any difference.

Dave
Old 04-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, if you aren't getting much cooling of the freezer plate in both AC and propane, then the cooling unit certainly is suspect. If you are at all handy, you could wire the A/C heater element with a standard issue 115v plug and plug it into an extension cord. This would bypass the control board which would nail the diagnosis -- if the freezer freezers, control board probably gone, if it doesn't and heating element is hot, the cooling unit is gone.

Just a thought.

Mike
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Well, if you aren't getting much cooling of the freezer plate in both AC and propane, then the cooling unit certainly is suspect. If you are at all handy, you could wire the A/C heater element with a standard issue 115v plug and plug it into an extension cord. This would bypass the control board which would nail the diagnosis -- if the freezer freezers, control board probably gone, if it doesn't and heating element is hot, the cooling unit is gone.

Just a thought.

Mike
I am not really familiar with this fridge, but if it has a control board, I would think that it would be powered by 12v dc which is available all the time whether you are operating the heater with ac power or propane.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, I am hoping that bypassing the control board by wiring the AC heater element directly (temporarily and only for troubleshooting purposes) we could determine if the cooling unit or the control board is at fault.

So with the control board bypassed, 12vdc is moot. If the freezer starts freezing then we know the cooling unit is okay and then can start troubleshooting the board, which would definitely include checking for DC power.

Definitely shade tree engineering but may point the OP towards the problem.

Mike
Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Mike

I understand now your approach. I am not sure how you power the heater directly. To take the control unit out of the equation, I would think that you would need to disconnect the 12v power to the fridge.

I believe there may be a trouble shooting manual available on line for this model fridge. Just a thought.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Chatham , Ontario
Unfortunately, I am not that handy. I will have to take it to the dealer to diagnose and go from there. I also need tires and this trailer takes 6 so hopefully the repair is not overly expensive.