Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
1997 Limited Classic 34' Front Kitchen??

Hello...looking at a used 34' '97 Limited Classic (I think) Front Kitchen.

I would like general comments from those of you who are knowledgeable...

Specific questions are...

1) What are the thoughts on the front kitchen design???

2) Issues inherent with the '97 AS 34' model? Concern on rear frame sag? Other issues to be aware of when purchasing a nearly 15 year old trailer. I am quite confident that the owner has done a quite good job of current maintenance and repair...but what may be getting to the point of "time to repair".

I look forward to comments...Thanks...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1997 Limited Classic 34' Front Kitchen??

Greetings Tom R!

The Front Kitchen 34 is one of my favorite floorplans so I have followed many of the discussions about these coaches. The one thing that I have noted in these discussions is the propensity for a balance problem caused by the coach's unusually low hitch weight -- careful loading and close attention to hitch and sway control rigging seems to be extremely important in coaches having this floorplan.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Follow on question...I see there is a separate section in the forum for '98-'99 Limiteds.

What were the changes made between '97 and '98?? Anything major?

Thanks...Tom R
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't believe there have been a whole lot of changes to the Classic line since the change to the wider body in around 1995. At some point there was a switch from oak to hickory cabinets and the new ones have fewer mirrors, and they've updated the electronics and mechanical stuff.

I'm not aware of any reports of rear end sag or frame separation on wide body trailers.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Two International Presidents had late 90's 34 footers that had to have the elephant ear fix performed to correct rear end separation and tail drag.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Any front kitchen owner's comments? Any front kitchen comments in general?

I am a bit curious about having the couch on the side in the "walkway"???

I guess the other choice is to have the kitchen in the "walkway"?

Thanks...Tom R
Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Any front kitchen owner's comments? Any front kitchen comments in general?

I am a bit curious about having the couch on the side in the "walkway"???

I guess the other choice is to have the kitchen in the "walkway"?

Thanks...Tom R
I have a few thoughts, or at least reasonable facsimiles of thoughts...
These trailers have a very low tongue weight. I worked on one and was lowering the tongue, when the base of the jack came off the ground and the trailer sat there, balanced on its wheels. That's probably the best way to see if that issue has been fixed in the one you're looking at.
The front kitchen seemed a lot more spacious. The center living area gave more "living room", with the dinette adding to the living space.
I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the washer/dryer combo that was available in them. I guess it depends on whether you're going to live in it or camp in it. I'd rather have the room and reduced weight.
I don't like the mouse fur wall and ceiling covering, it will come down, and look bad, if it hasn't already. There are a few ways to stave off the inevitable, but eventually it will have to be dealt with. If the PO smoked, it will be much sooner rather than later. I removed the fur on the one I worked on, but it was very time consuming and messy at best.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks...I have quite a few pictures and the walls and ceilings do not appear to be "mouse fur"? Not that I am a mouse fur expert Are you sure a '97 Classic Limited would have the mouse fur?

Also, it has a table dinette instead of a booth...couple of extensions and four chairs if you wish.

I believe that the couch is across the isle from a narrow credenza that would hold a TV...seem like all traffic would cross through "living room"?

The current owner has ordered another RV...and sought a front kitchen design as he and wife liked it quite a bit.

Thanks...Tom R

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I have a few thoughts, or at least reasonable facsimiles of thoughts...
These trailers have a very low tongue weight. I worked on one and was lowering the tongue, when the base of the jack came off the ground and the trailer sat there, balanced on its wheels. That's probably the best way to see if that issue has been fixed in the one you're looking at.
The front kitchen seemed a lot more spacious. The center living area gave more "living room", with the dinette adding to the living space.
I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the washer/dryer combo that was available in them. I guess it depends on whether you're going to live in it or camp in it. I'd rather have the room and reduced weight.
I don't like the mouse fur wall and ceiling covering, it will come down, and look bad, if it hasn't already. There are a few ways to stave off the inevitable, but eventually it will have to be dealt with. If the PO smoked, it will be much sooner rather than later. I removed the fur on the one I worked on, but it was very time consuming and messy at best.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
I just bought a 1987 Avion 32S.It's a front kitchen rear bedroom model.This is my favorite layout.Its hard enough to find a rear bedroom,it is very hard to find a front kitchen in either brand.I was very happy to get it.Avion made this 32S for 3 years only from 1987-1989.
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
tonkawa , Oklahoma
I also have an Avion 32 S. Sold a front living room Airstream to get it. We live full time with no sticks or bricks and had a teenager still living at home at the time. I was so tired of people banging into me in the galley kitchen that we got the Avion just for the front kitchen. I know it is not the exact layout as the Airstream but it is close. If I ever had a chance at the front kitchen Airstream I would grab it in a skinny minute.
$hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
tonkawa , Oklahoma
Airline,
I just looked at your photos. Did the previous owners remove the original bed/beds from the trailer? We have the rear twins. It looks like you have a large freestanding headboard in yours.
$hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
I had a 1995 34' front kitchen & loved it. If I could change anything it would be to the table & chairs that you have in this AS instead of a dinette. Well, plus the wide body which you also have on the '97. It was much easier to deal with the walk thru in the living room instead of the kitchen. We saw this new model at the 1994 International and instantly fell in love with it. My former wife still has it and towed it herself on caravans and several thousands of miles. You'll need a 3/4 ton vehicle ( Yukon XL or pickup ); 1000 lb. bars; and a strong engine with a low axle ratio. Happy travels !!!
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thanks...I have quite a few pictures and the walls and ceilings do not appear to be "mouse fur"? Not that I am a mouse fur expert Are you sure a '97 Classic Limited would have the mouse fur?

Also, it has a table dinette instead of a booth...couple of extensions and four chairs if you wish.

I believe that the couch is across the isle from a narrow credenza that would hold a TV...seem like all traffic would cross through "living room"?

The current owner has ordered another RV...and sought a front kitchen design as he and wife liked it quite a bit.

Thanks...Tom R
I think I have a couple of photos of the interior, sans fur, around here somewhere...:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2079.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	137208   Click image for larger version

Name:	2084.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	137209  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2092.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	137210  
Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Terry...what year AS are these pictures from? What work has been done? Was this your AS?

It looks like all new cupboards/floors and upholstery? Or is the wood just refinished?

Do you think it feels like you are in an "aisle" when you are watching TV?

Thanks...Tom R

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I think I have a couple of photos of the interior, sans fur, around here somewhere...:
Old 08-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
$hide

Yes,The p/o removed the twins and installed a queen.I have removed all this,(including that head board that was just standing there unmounted),and I am trying to figure out the best way to have a huge bed back there.
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Terry...what year AS are these pictures from? What work has been done? Was this your AS?

It looks like all new cupboards/floors and upholstery? Or is the wood just refinished?

Do you think it feels like you are in an "aisle" when you are watching TV?

Thanks...Tom R
Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner, it kind of got lost in the cracks.

First, the Airstream is a 1997 Classic rear queen. It's not mine, it belongs to one of those Hollywood types. A fast rundown of the work performed, in no particular order:
Mouse fur wall and ceiling covering removed, the old adhesive cleaned off, and all the empty rivet holes that were exposed were filled with rivets.
Hardwood floor throughout.
New aluminum colored Formica countertops in the kitchen, along with a new sink and range.
All the dining room chairs were recovered in that soft plasticized leather stuff. The dining room table was repaired and strengthened, since it had an annoying tendency to fall apart.
The living room trim and chairs/couch were reupholstered in the same material as the dining room chairs. Any trim sticking out got covered, except the entertainment center itself.
The bulkhead walls were recovered in 2024 T3 to cover the really out of place looking wall covering. It didn't look bad with the stuff that was there originally, but with all that removed, it had to have something to tie it back together. All 4 bulkhead walls got this treatment, including the tiny vertical cover over the kitchen vent.
New queen mattress, and the solar electrical system from hell. The heat pump could actually be run for a couple of hours using the batteries.
The entertainment center, which contains the television, DVD player, and stereo, along with the controls for the satellite receiver, are on the curbside, between the main door and bulkhead wall. So, if you sit on the couch, or pretty much anywhere int he living room, you are merely looking across the trailer, instead of down a long hallway. New LCD televisions were installed in the entertainment center and bedroom to replace the old analog tv's that wouldn't pick anything up.
The exterior was polished as well.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
TomR,

We have a '97 34', and haven't had any sag problems at the rear. One of the other Georgia Unit members has a front kitchen, and it is a fantastic layout. I think it makes it more "livable".
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Elora , Ontario
We have a 1993 30' Excella with the front kitchen and absolutely love it. We just returned from our first trip - 7,000 miles over 29 days with 5 young kids - obviously space is an issue with that many people, but the layout makes it work amazingly well.
Geobie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Front Kitchen AS

Our first AS was a 1994 30' Excella front kitchen model with a dinette, split bath, and walk-around queen bed; we liked the layout!! After many camping trips, my husband felt the lounge sofa was too short to comfortably lie down on, and we sought a new trailer. While we searched for a front kitchen in a longer trailer, we purchased a well-cared for used 34' front lounge split kitchen.
Enjoy your travels,
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Did you ever buy this AS? I'm looking at a 96 FK and I have the same questions as in your original post...

Phil in Irvine
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote